Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: 3DM Öhlins R&T kit + TMS camber plates + Syncro Design Works tension arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4dr
    replied
    Originally posted by maupineda View Post
    In my honest opinion, I'd say you have too high of a spring rate (front and rear), also most aftermarket add a lot of stiffness to their damper setup... my car even with softer springs (with 17% flat ride) still rides very harshly, and until I do something with the dampers, I won't get what I want. I just wish FCM was a bit more affordable.
    That's interesting because Shaikh from FCM has commented that a lot of well-regarded, high-end dampers run high pressure with large shafts. Whatever that means.

Leave a comment:

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by maupineda View Post
    my car even with softer springs (with 17% flat ride) still rides very harshly, and until I do something with the dampers, I won't get what I want.
    E9x?
    Last edited by IamFODI; 11-04-2020, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• maupineda
    replied
    In my honest opinion, I'd say you have too high of a spring rate (front and rear), also most aftermarket add a lot of stiffness to their damper setup... my car even with softer springs (with 17% flat ride) still rides very harshly, and until I do something with the dampers, I won't get what I want. I just wish FCM was a bit more affordable.

Leave a comment:

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by hansbrix View Post
    Interesting. Probably the overall wheel rate on the stock setup is dominated by the chassis spring rate, but your setup is now different, perhaps the spring rate of the tire now shines through more since you changed the chassis spring.
    Of course. Great point. I guess the chassis springs are damped a hell of a lot more than the tires are, so if there's any undamped motion, the tires are a likely culprit.

Think it might also have to do with natural frequencies? I.e., the new suspension's natural frequencies happen to overlap more with those of underinflated stock-sized PS4Ss?

Leave a comment:

• hansbrix
    replied
    Interesting. Probably the overall wheel rate on the stock setup is dominated by the chassis spring rate, but your setup is now different, perhaps the spring rate of the tire now shines through more since you changed the chassis spring.

Leave a comment:

• IamFODI
    replied
    Update: This setup seems to be rather sensitive to tire pressure.

Several days ago, I noticed the car didn't feel as directionally stable as it used to. Sometimes, with no clear pattern, it felt like it was tramlining over every tiny undulation in the road. It was much worse in the rain, which was a terrifying combo with the car's subpar (IMO) hydroplaning resistance.

At some point it occurred to me that I hadn't checked tire pressures in a while, so I did that. All four tires were all a few PSI low. I pumped them all up to spec and the car feels MUCH better now.

No surprise that tire pressures count. What surprises me is how much they seem to count on my car. I don't remember tire pressure having this drastic an effect when the car was on its original suspension.

Leave a comment:

• hansbrix
    replied
    They have been cheap because of all that though and has a lot of the same issues the S65 has. The M6 is way uglier. I chose my M5 because was manual and it was cheaper than an M3 which was what I was always intending to buy. Maybe I will pick up a E92 M3 at some point too.

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by terra View Post
    Yeah e60 is one of the ugliest BMWs but also one of the best engineered. Well the chassis is anyway, let’s ignore the engine .

Shame they couldn’t justify the costs to incorporate that grav-60 construction in the rest of the lineup or future models.
    The e60 is simultaneously great and terrible. Best steering feel M5, crazy light for its size, dynamically awesome engine... but worst interior, ugly exterior, worst back seat space despite being pretty large, SMG (mostly), not great at being water proof, and least reliable engine.

Leave a comment:

• terra
    replied
    Yeah e60 is one of the ugliest BMWs but also one of the best engineered. Well the chassis is anyway, let’s ignore the engine .

Shame they couldn’t justify the costs to incorporate that grav-60 construction in the rest of the lineup or future models.

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Wow, TIL. The E93 is hefty hefty.
    The e60 is also just a much lighter/volume chassis (because it alu, likely) than the e90.

If you take the non M versions, and compare same engine, same trans, same drivetrain, body (so, say, rwd 528i 6mt sedan vs rwd 328i 6mt sedan), the e60 is only ~70 lbs heavier than the e90. BMW had to do a ton of work to get the e9X M3 to be lighter (plastic fenders, CF rood, etc), and they still only ended up ~300 lbs lighter for similarly speced cars (e90 M3 vs e60 M5).

On top of that, the hardtop vert adds a ton of weight to the e9X.

Leave a comment:

• r4dr
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Yeah, the e60 M5 is lighter than the e93 M3, so any kit that is fine for the vert should be fine for you.
    Wow, TIL. The E93 is hefty hefty.

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied
    Yeah, the e60 M5 is lighter than the e93 M3, so any kit that is fine for the vert should be fine for you.

Leave a comment:

• hansbrix
    replied
    Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Eibach Pro-Kit springs + Bilstein B8s should be right around $1000 right? That would be well short of a full, $$$ setup. Are you DDing this car?

Edit: never mind I just realized Bilstein's catalog for E60 M5 cars is pretty bleak.
    EDC is standard, and Bilstein has a nice setup that allows the continued usage of EDC. I think it is the B16 line. They go for like 3200 and they are always out of stock everywhere. I talked to Bilstein at SEMA a few years ago and they confirmed that they produce these somewhat on demand in Germany. OE shocks are like 2k. So that's why I'm thinking that I should put some of my old knowledge to work and go with ohlins, penskes, or motons. None of them have kits for the E60 M5 but, these are only a few hundred pounds heavier than E92 or F8X M3s. That's not a big deal the car I'm thinking of tracking I would stripping down and that would get it pretty close to M3 weight. I just need to play around with spring rates and have the shocks revalved. If I went with the off the shelf solutions (KW V3 or Bilstein B16s or stayed stock), stripping the car down would affect the chassis dynamics anyways, it would be sprung too stiff and over damped. Therefore I don't see the point of dropping that much money on that setup only to then spend more to respring and valve everything. The M5 is just a the more powerful and fatter sister to the M3 anyways. The suspension design is identical, and that is the harder part of adapting suspension hardware in the first place. That's why I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. There were a few other threads I have bookmarked on the M3 forum but I can't seem to access them.

Leave a comment:

• hansbrix
    replied
    I thought the total power requirement would not support what I could do with a transformer, but I've never had it trip out. The Hunter Road Force balancers need air to operate the load roller also. I run that and the tire machine off a small dewalt/emglo air compressor like what you see at Home Despot, I never have them running at the same time though. Tire machines have a big tank in the column or somewhere else because it uses a dump valve to seat the beads. I chose all my stuff so that I could put it in a trailer if I wanted (and had a trailer and half ton truck for track days). It's a time or money thing. also when I said NE I meant North East or New England not Nebraska, but I guess someone told me NJ is in a mid atlantic state, certainly not New England. I'm clearly not a native.

Leave a comment:

• tdott
    replied
    Originally posted by hansbrix View Post
    Funny you say that, it's so random, since I actually I have a few Hunter RF balancers, long story. I was going to post one for sale on CL, but been busy. I never thought about posting it up here. I have a transformer setup so it runs on 125V. (they are 220V single phase machines). I also can't stand anyone else touching my car because they always eff stuff up. Rotating the tire on the rim is a major pain and I do see why they don't do that unless you pay them extra. It's almost 2x the work. Where are you? you can come check them out. I have a forklift so I load it for you no prob.
    ah 220v wouldn't be a problem for me in the garage, but I won't have the space to put them without losing a parking spot. Then if I wanted a tire machine, I'd have to add an air compressor.

I'm in South FL so pretty far from NE state, otherwise I'd take you up on that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X