Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*delete

*delete
    Last edited by mainstreamer00; 05-23-2023, 08:45 PM.
    TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

I've definitely noticed the smell of oil more often after installation of the Karbonious airbox. I found a bit of oil present on a few spark plugs threads recently but that could be attributed to other issues. When I hit the pedal hard more often than not I notice the smell of oil.
    All of these things I didn't notice before the Karbonious box, but thats not to say it is the cause.

Also, more often than not when I open up the airbox I do see oil pooled around the oil drain line port.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

With a catch can, I doubt it was ingesting oil through the breather unless you catch can just sucks. Did you check the straightened of the cylinder walls? TDC is where you check the leak down but the cylinder walls could be put of spec thus causing oil to get into the piston. What exactly was the failure? Was the the intake full of oil?
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

*delete
        Last edited by mainstreamer00; 05-23-2023, 08:46 PM.
        TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

What cylinders failed? Where the bearings spun as well? Were you spark plugs really wet? When you switched to Evolve, was it after the rebuild, before the failure?

Comment

*delete

Comment

If the car is drinking oil and sending it through the breather, the blowby is excessive. I've seen the bottom of cylinders be out of round while the top is perfect. This passes a leakdown because that's performed at the top. It just doesn't make any sense that the airbox would be the cause. It's a dump, not the source of vacuum. Something simple like the crosshatching could've been at less than 30° or greater than 60°. Since the engine blew up I guess it's hard to do some scientific tests on it. I have some ideas. Was the oil drain clogged and the oil somehow sloshed up into the cylinders?

Comment

Curious, where did you have the engine re-built? Or did you do it yourself?

Comment

*delete

Comment

*delete

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post

It was through a well-known local shop, in conjunction with their machine shop. I have no reason to assume faulty work.
                      Not assuming faulty work, just curious who you used since we are in the same area. Especially if they covered an engine that was tracked, most won’t touch that with a 10 foot poll after it’s been tracked, so that is pretty great service if they are covering part of the re-build after that. Interesting history with the airbox, was thinking of picking up one this summer so interested how it turns out for you.

Comment

I have a Karb box, on a Z4M. And every time I have removed the box is bone dry, i have been surprised to not even see any oil moist. But to be fair I have not let pass too many miles before I have wiped it off, but the longest has been 2500 miles and it really did not collect any oil anywhere inside the box.
                        Last edited by maupineda; 05-07-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Is there a check valve on the drain line between the air box and oil pan? That could certainly be a path for oil to get into the air box.

Was the oil separator replaced?

Those are the only 2 paths for oil to get into the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as know. The airbox itself never experiences enough vacuum to "suck" oil out of anywhere. All the vacuum is generated behind the throttle bodies when theyre closed, in the air rail.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
                              As far as know. The airbox itself never experiences enough vacuum to "suck" oil out of anywhere. All the vacuum is generated behind the throttle bodies when theyre closed, in the air rail.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
                              Yup, basically just atmospheric pressure past the throttle bodies. If oil if pooling in the intake then it's being pushed by something, not pulled.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X