No announcement yet.

*delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late to the thread here but I don’t think this has anything to do with the airbox. It sounds like you are getting excessive blow by at the piston rings. No quick solution for that other than new rings... oil in the box is just a symptom.

I had this issue with my first attempt at an S54 rebuild. Motor made great compression and power but at high rpm and high load (on track down shifts) I would get a ton of blow by which resulted in oil in the box, smoked out the exhaust, etc. I ran it on track for a season and just delt with it. Took the motor apart in the off-season and in my case some rings gaps were too tight and had touched. Resulting in poor seal, resulting in excessive blow by. Second rebuild has no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      I was misled by RealOEM part diagram
      I'm not sure how realoem ports schematics to their site but I can tell you etk provides more detail regarding production date cutoffs and supercessions plus VIN specific parts filtering.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
        Late to the thread here but I don’t think this has anything to do with the airbox. It sounds like you are getting excessive blow by at the piston rings. No quick solution for that other than new rings... oil in the box is just a symptom.

I had this issue with my first attempt at an S54 rebuild. Motor made great compression and power but at high rpm and high load (on track down shifts) I would get a ton of blow by which resulted in oil in the box, smoked out the exhaust, etc. I ran it on track for a season and just delt with it. Took the motor apart in the off-season and in my case some rings gaps were too tight and had touched. Resulting in poor seal, resulting in excessive blow by. Second rebuild has no issues.
        I was going to post the same thing. Ring gaps / blow-by issues. Sounds like the machine shop may have fkd up when they filed the rings (not filed the rings)

Comment

SMG cars have a straight drain line from the bottom of the box into the oil pan. Manuals have a check valve.

So if your car was originally an SMG and swapped to a manual, you need to change the drain line to the correct part for a manual transmission.

I remembered this when I was removing my transmission. I take the airbox off to get to the starter...much easier. For some reason, this popped in my head.

Thought this might help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
            SMG cars have a straight drain line from the bottom of the box into the oil pan. Manuals have a check valve.
            Wonder what is the reason for this, as the two transmissions is identical as far as how it affects the engine system.

Comment

Very curious about the resolution of this issue.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah mine goes straight into the pan too
                Mine is a stock engine.
                The intake is off the car and the drain hose connects to the oil pan. It has a one way valve to prevent oil/vapor/air from being pulled up from the pan to the plenum.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Wonder what is the reason for this, as the two transmissions is identical as far as how it affects the engine system.
                  Total guess here...the check valve is a fail safe against bad manual drivers. Whereas an SMG would be flawless because BMW engineers designed it.

A check valve is a fail safe or protection device. Never used for pressure/vacuum regulation.

Comment

How’s the filter?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

So if your car was originally an SMG and swapped to a manual, you need to change the drain line to the correct part for a manual transmission.

I remembered this when I was removing my transmission. I take the airbox off to get to the starter...much easier. For some reason, this popped in my head.

Thought this might help...

SMG cars have the check valve, they just moved it.

In a manual car, this goes straight to the oil pan:

In an SMG, this piece

Connects to this pipe

When connects to this hose, which ultimately drains into the oil pan.

The check valve is in the above piece. They did it this way on SMGs to make room for the SMG hydraulics

Comment

That makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                        X