S54 engine sound recording with video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 engine sound recording with video

So, I have been on a journey to get some upgrades done on the car, especially a CSL airbox from Karbonius and other bits and pieces.

I wanted to do before and after comparisons of the engine sound, so started doing some research in online forums and r/LocationSound on Reddit.

This is my first attempt at recording engine and exhaust sounds, so definitely lots to learn.

S54 engine sound on SoundCloud

Would love to hear your feedback and comments on the overall audio quality and how good/bad this engine sounds. There is one thing I noticed where the SM57 provides for a very bassy / roomy sound that can easily overpower the overall recording. This clip is from a half an hour driving session where I played around with levels of all the 3 mics. This one sounded the better of all the various settings.

If anyone is interested, I can post the full session's recording as well. I have to say, I don't remember which mic was set to what level during the session, but it might be interesting to hear them nonetheless.

The recording setup included the following:
    1. 2x Shure SM11 lavalier mics
    2. 1x Shure SM57 mic
    3. 1x Zoom F6 recorder

One of the Shure SM11s is mounted on the oil dipstick and secured to the surrounding area with gaffer's tape. It points to the air box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0513.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	161429
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.1 KB ID:	161430

The SM57 points to the engine itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.0 KB ID:	161431

Cables go around the perimeter of the engine bay area and under the wipers. They are all secured in place using 3M masking tape and/or gaffer's tape, depending on the surface.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0516.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.7 KB ID:	161432

Cables go into the cabin by the passenger window sill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	161433

The exhaust sound is recorded using another SM11 mic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	161434
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0520.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.4 KB ID:	161435

Exhaust mic cable goes through the ski pass through and into the cabin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	243.3 KB ID:	161436
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.6 KB ID:	161437

And finally, all the mics feed into the Zoom F6 recorder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0518.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.4 KB ID:	161438
    Play E46 M3 S54 Engine Sound by Selim on desktop and mobile. Play over 265 million tracks for free on SoundCloud.
    Last edited by HanSooloo; 01-08-2023, 01:20 PM.
    2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
    ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
    Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Very cool, thanks for sharing, very high quality recording, is that clip an uncompressed WAV file?

Man I envy your sound equipment, cant wait to hear the CSL recording.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      Very cool, thanks for sharing, very high quality recording, is that clip an uncompressed WAV file?

Man I envy your sound equipment, cant wait to hear the CSL recording.
      yes, uncompressed WAV as is recorded by the Zoom F6.
      Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
      SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2

Comment

Planning on adding a GoPro video recording and posting it to YouTube as well. This was just a starting point to see how the mics work in various positions, etc.

Comment

Any updates on this HanSooloo ? Was looking on fleaBay for some used GoPro's and external mics. Plugged a search in here to see if anyone has been down this road already. Your SoundCloud clip sounds pretty high quality, nice work.
          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
            Any updates on this HanSooloo ? Was looking on fleaBay for some used GoPro's and external mics. Plugged a search in here to see if anyone has been down this road already. Your SoundCloud clip sounds pretty high quality, nice work.
            I will posting clips from my setup soon, now that I have all the equipment and accessories. Can make a thread when I do.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I just went down this road as well. 2 rode mics, and a zoom h4 i believe.. am pretty excited to try to get some clips as well this weekend.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Love listening to this on my over-ear head phones.

Comment

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Don't have most of my recording equipment anymore, but I still have a 57 somewhere. Might just have to tape it to something in the engine bay to try and accurately record the karb airbox
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by crow4213 View Post
                    I just went down this road as well. 2 rode mics, and a zoom h4 i believe.. am pretty excited to try to get some clips as well this weekend.
                    Oh nice! Would you mind posting which mics you used? Rode seems to make quite a few: https://rode.com/en-us/microphones

And this is the recorder? https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-...rders/h4n-pro/

Ideally I'd love to get video and audio together. I'm sure that might require editing software (which I don't have). A buddy sent me this video and now I want to get some good video with great audio recorded: https://youtu.be/B4VOThlleaw
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Oh nice! Would you mind posting which mics you used? Rode seems to make quite a few: https://rode.com/en-us/microphones

And this is the recorder? https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/handheld-...rders/h4n-pro/

Ideally I'd love to get video and audio together. I'm sure that might require editing software (which I don't have). A buddy sent me this video and now I want to get some good video with great audio recorded: https://youtu.be/B4VOThlleaw

Sure np, I got the Rode Matched pair condersor mics: https://rode.com/en-us/microphones/studio-condenser/m5

Also the recorder was a Zoom h5 not an h4 here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H5-Four-...able-Recorder/

Additionally, I got a cheap used go pro 9 off ebay. I am hoping to make some clips this weekend but with the holidays all bets are off.

And wow, that clip is amazing! I can only wish to capture something like that...also living where i live the driving roads are no where near as awesome.

This is the video i watched to get my inspiration on how to record car audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRT44_-Irk8

Comment

So far, I have been focused on adding a GoPro video recording to properly sync up with the audio recording. This has been more troublesome than I had anticipated, because of GoPro's firmware issues in being able to handle externally fed timecode information.

Main issue being, the ZOOM F6 sends timecode info on the RIGHT audio channel, and the GoPro expects it on the LEFT channel. So, I ended up getting a few cables to reverse the audio channels (RED RCA to WHITE RCA and vice versa using the below cables):
                        1. 3.5 mm to RCA breakout cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        2. RCA to 3.5 mm cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        With the audio channels swapped, the video recording from the GoPro seems to have the correct timecode info on the MP4 file it generates and can be properly synced in an editing app like DaVinci Resolve (free version).

Having found a way to get timecode to work, and hence the sync between audio and video, I am now trying work through video stabilization issues: with the GoPro mounted on a headrest mount, (1) if I use GoPro's own image stabilization features, the video has this annoying left/right panning effect as the GoPro's firmware tries to compensate. (2) if I turn the image stabilization OFF, then the vibration is too much for anyone's stomach to handle

I will post more updates as I try different things. Would love to hear how others are addressing similar issues.

Comment

I know very little about audio engineering and don't want to spend a million hours dealing with some programs to sync up and then editing, etc etc, so I went with the KISS method and duct taped a mic inside the engine bay. I dismantled an old suction cup cell phone mount and hold it in my mouth for video, set the mic and camera to record, then just honk 3 times to sync up the audio between mic and camera later in iMovie on my ipad. The first time I tried this I just used an old cell phone as the mic and stuck that next to the intake and it worked great. lol.

Driving starts at about 5 min

This is more of an E46 M3 appreciation video than anything. Love this car.If you want to see more of me or the cars you can always hmu on IG @ JT_E30DISCLAIM...
                          2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
                          @ JT_E30

Comment

After many additional attempts, I was able to get an audio + video recording here:

In addition to the 3 mic's, now I have 2 GoPro's: one looking ahead, and the other looking at the dash. Compositing them for the YouTube recording later. I am not very happy with the stabilization that GoPro does, so planning on learning a bit more about what DaVinci Resolve can do with its Tracking feature.

Comment

Working...
                            X