Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotted on BaT - is this subframe cracking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxima SE
    replied
    those are water spots. I dont see any cracks...

if the car has a decent amount of miles, assume there are RACP cracks until proven otherwise..... take "subframe inspected, no cracks" with a grain of salt. depends on how inspected it and how it was inspected..... simply putting it on a lift and looking isnt going to cut it. you have to drop the rear end and remove the sealer to thoroughly inspect it... and at that point you might as well slap on reinforcement plates too.

Leave a comment:

• Inizes
    replied
    Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
    I see what you are pointing out. The problem here is it’s really hard to say with 100% confidence unless you remove that underbody sealer. My guess though, considering a very large portion of our cars have some sort of cracking, this one is likely no different.

Also, that’s why I hate the “subframe inspected” bs on all these ads lol. Until you drop the subframe and grinded off all the seamsealer, you’re not really going to be able to tell with certainty that your RACP is fine. So if you’re doing all that work anyway to get it all inspected the right way, you’re doing the reinforcement work while you’re in there
    It was just something I noticed flipping through the photos. The spot welds appeared to be dark like they had popped and possibly some hairline crack (or maybe just some badly placed dirt). Since it’s not 1000% fractured, I’ll let it play out I guess and not risk damaging the sale for the seller.

Leave a comment:

• BMWahba
    replied
    I see what you are pointing out. The problem here is it’s really hard to say with 100% confidence unless you remove that underbody sealer. My guess though, considering a very large portion of our cars have some sort of cracking, this one is likely no different.

Also, that’s why I hate the “subframe inspected” bs on all these ads lol. Until you drop the subframe and grinded off all the seamsealer, you’re not really going to be able to tell with certainty that your RACP is fine. So if you’re doing all that work anyway to get it all inspected the right way, you’re doing the reinforcement work while you’re in there
    Last edited by BMWahba; 07-31-2020, 03:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Inizes
    replied
    Originally posted by Tones View Post
    Cracks start usually from the welds or where the bolt runs through. None of those appear to be that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    These are spot welds?

Leave a comment:

• Tones
    replied
    Cracks start usually from the welds or where the bolt runs through. None of those appear to be that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Inizes
    replied
    Ethically, if this is a failure, do I point it out to potential buyers with less than 12 hours on the auction?

Leave a comment:

• Inizes
    started a topic Spotted on BaT - is this subframe cracking?

Spotted on BaT - is this subframe cracking?

Bid for the chance to own a 2002 BMW M3 Coupe at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #34,583.

I was looking through the sellers photos. Originally photo 154 stuck out because of what I thought was a crack at the wave in the subframe. I took a closer look at photo 161 and I think it is just the light acting weird. However— also in 161, it looks like the spot welds are popping and there may be a hairline rack forming at the 2-3 o’clock position from the bushing. Am I correct in seeing that or am I a noob?
    Attached Files
Working...
X