Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GB for SLON Workshop CF Rear bulkhead, which can (optionally) be a back seat delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gorilla69 View Post
    Anyone drove their car after installing it? Reviews?
    This. I'm curious as well if anyone had an opportunity to test this out on the track.

Also, if anyone got one from the GB in Socal and is open to selling. Please let me know. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Actuary View Post

This. I'm curious as well if anyone had an opportunity to test this out on the track.

Also, if anyone got one from the GB in Socal and is open to selling. Please let me know. Thanks!!
      Im thinking of selling mine. Not because I dont like the piece, I actually really love it and might regret this. But changing priorities of the car and a new car coming in need toi free up some cash for other mods. I finished the car with my seats and kept the interior and I am digging it. I am thinking of even reupholstering my rear seats that is why I want to keep them and no longer use this.

I bought the 1x1 weave.
      Attached Files

Comment

I can't believe nobody has installed this yet.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Slonik got their chassis twister set up, so I'm hoping we have results soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2468.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	136281

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Chassis stiffness results with this installed inbound:
            Write something... Okay, i'll try (sorry for my English) :D. Hello guys and girls! I was mainly offline on the forum during summer season, cause we have a lot of local work, our customer's cars went "time attack" events, a lot of trackdays etc, and by the way, one of our M4 took 1 place in Russian Time Attack

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

What is the cost with shipping to 28731?

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                What is the cost with shipping to 28731?
                PM sent.

Comment

Finished my Vince Bar install and wanted to share how fitting is looking like. After speaking with Obioban we may need to figure out a solution with the plates being in the way causing a gap
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wall looks good.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post
                      Finished my Vince Bar install and wanted to share how fitting is looking like. After speaking with Obioban we may need to figure out a solution with the plates being in the way causing a gap
                      Hmm, the rivets on the plates can definitely be ground down, as they shouldn't be contributing much once the adhesive has cured.

The wall still wouldn't be sitting completely flush though. Maybe the wall can be notched to go around the plates? I'm not sure if that would do anything to compromise it's structure though. Slonik any opinions?

​​​​​​​Please keep us updated! Plan on installing mine soon(ish).
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Hmm, the rivets on the plates can definitely be ground down, as they shouldn't be contributing much once the adhesive has cured.

The wall still wouldn't be sitting completely flush though. Maybe the wall can be notched to go around the plates? I'm not sure if that would do anything to compromise it's structure though. Slonik any opinions?

Please keep us updated! Plan on installing mine soon(ish).
                        Good idea, I do have a dremel piece made for cutting carbon fiber when I did my CF roof.

Comment

Talked to Slon about this and was told NOT to cut the wall.

We ended up deciding the best choice is to grind down the reinforcement plates so that the gap between the wall and sheet metal is ~1mm (I measured the thickness of the plates to be 1.5mm).

As for adhesive choice, Sika 7888 is the adhesive BMW uses for their carbon roofs and so seems like a safe pick. I found this publication that explores the mechanical properties of this adhesive in relation to the thickness at which it is applied: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ckness_on_the_ Mechanical_Behavior_of_a_Structural_Polyurethane_A dhesive

Looks like the lap shear strength goes down from ~23 MPa at 0.2 mm adhesive thickness to ~20 MPa at 1 mm. Don't think the 13% decrease will be much of an issue.

We did consider other alternative adhesives —like Araldite 2014— but ultimately decided that Sika 7888 was the best choice. That conclusion was reached mostly because it's significantly less brittle, with elongation at the breaking point at 0.7% for the Araldite and 40% for the Sika. Araldite will be super hard, but might break under moments of high impact, which this wall will definitely see (e.g. hitting a big kerb on the track, hitting a pot hole, etc.).

So, my plan is to grind down the reinforcement plates so that the gap between the wall and sheet metal is ~1mm and then use Sika 7888 for the install.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                            Talked to Slon about this and was told NOT to cut the wall.

We ended up deciding the best choice is to grind down the reinforcement plates so that the gap between the wall and sheet metal is ~1mm (I measured the thickness of the plates to be 1.5mm).

As for adhesive choice, Sika 7888 is the adhesive BMW uses for their carbon roofs and so seems like a safe pick. I found this publication that explores the mechanical properties of this adhesive in relation to the thickness at which it is applied: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ckness_on_the_ Mechanical_Behavior_of_a_Structural_Polyurethane_A dhesive

Looks like the lap shear strength goes down from ~23 MPa at 0.2 mm adhesive thickness to ~20 MPa at 1 mm. Don't think the 13% decrease will be much of an issue.

We did consider other alternative adhesives —like Araldite 2014— but ultimately decided that Sika 7888 was the best choice. That conclusion was reached mostly because it's significantly less brittle, with elongation at the breaking point at 0.7% for the Araldite and 40% for the Sika. Araldite will be super hard, but might break under moments of high impact, which this wall will definitely see (e.g. hitting a big kerb on the track, hitting a pot hole, etc.).

So, my plan is to grind down the reinforcement plates so that the gap between the wall and sheet metal is ~1mm and then use Sika 7888 for the install.
                            Hmm... I wonder what the strength of the 3M 07333 Impact resistant Structural Adhesive I went with is at 1mm. ~20 MPa would be sufficient...

edit: I bought this for the vincebar, but looks like I shouldn't use it for the slonik plate either way-- it's for metal on metal rivet bonded use.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

... I wonder if Sika 7888 would fit in my 3M applicator gun

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                                ... I wonder if Sika 7888 would fit in my 3M applicator gun
                                Footprint looks similar, so it might work!

Btw, BMW sells this same adhesive. Much more expensive, but also much easier to get in the US. p/n 83190417144

Comment

Working...
                                X