Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates on the 4.10s? How many more orders are needed for fulfillment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like this isn’t happening unfortunately.

Comment

We're still short. A great help would be finding a diff builder willing to collaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
          We're still short. A great help would be finding a diff builder willing to collaborate.
          well, that is not going to be easy, how many you think you can get? The next thing I see happening is people complaining about builders not being local resulting in expensive shipping, etc.

I am afraid I will need to get OE as soon as are they are available, which who knows when that may be.

Comment

Due to the lack of progress I am pulling off. Please delete my order.

Comment

For what it’s worth, I’m going to be doing the install myself along with also pressing in new bearings and will assist anyone else doing the same. The job does not seem overly complex from what I’ve seen but will require some patience.

I’d say for the discounted price of the group buy, it’s absolutely worth it to get these gears and perform the install yourself or sit on them til you find someone that can install for you.

I know they don’t swap out the ring and pinion gears but you can use this RacingDiffs video as a reference for tearing down the diff. They can also source the crush sleeve and adjustment shims for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DESMDR3 View Post
                For what it’s worth, I’m going to be doing the install myself along with also pressing in new bearings and will assist anyone else doing the same. The job does not seem overly complex from what I’ve seen but will require some patience.

I’d say for the discounted price of the group buy, it’s absolutely worth it to get these gears and perform the install yourself or sit on them til you find someone that can install for you.

I know they don’t swap out the ring and pinion gears but you can use this RacingDiffs video as a reference for tearing down the diff. They can also source the crush sleeve and adjustment shims for you.

i am doing it myself as well, but the problem is this is at halt, so will get an OE item instead and take the bullet on the price. When you have to have it, you have it lol

Comment

I am chatting this Thursday with a local diff builder that is interested. He already has the bearings and shims made for E46 and E92 M diffs.

Comment

Here's another option: for the sake of research and exploration, I've had 2 phone calls with Jim at Metric Mechanic. He's willing to do a bench assessment and give feedback of an MFactory gear set (any BMW application) if you are able to get one on loan. I think an independent 3rd party may bring some confidence back and I certainly would sign up following that exercise with a positive outcome.

He's always willing to do installs but that's for down the road (at least for my purposes).
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Had to take a $1400 hit... but got the real deal, Dan at diffsonline has 4 sets left if someone like me cannot wait... BTW, his are the OE Motorsport items. I won't say they are better, they just are, well... AVAILABLE

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                        Had to take a $1400 hit... but got the real deal, Dan at diffsonline has 4 sets left if someone like me cannot wait... BTW, his are the OE Motorsport items. I won't say they are better, they just are, well... AVAILABLE
                        They are just two pieces of metal in the end. Besides how they look, what other quality information will one be able to tell from just looking at them. I’d say them being official OEM suppliers to both the Honda and Toyota Motorsport programs tells you all you need to know in regards to long term reliability imo. Run it

Comment

They are just two pieces of metal in the end. Besides how they look, what other quality information will one be able to tell from just looking at them. I’d say them being official OEM suppliers to both the Honda and Toyota Motorsport programs tells you all you need to know in regards to long term reliability imo. Run it

You are not understanding my comments, I am not bashing quality or anything like that, pure AVAILABILITY!

Comment

You are the only one in a time crunch I understand. But didn’t you read on the original post that the lead time would be 3-4 months anyways? It hasn’t even been 3 months since then so even if we would have hit the 20 spots ASAP, you would still be waiting lol

Seems very misinformed of you to be complaining about timeliness at this point but hey that’s just me.

My comment is for the rest of the people in the thread worried that an official supplier to OEM motorsports teams will somehow not be good enough

Comment

You are the only one in a time crunch I understand. But didn’t you read on the original post that the lead time would be 3-4 months anyways? It hasn’t even been 3 months since then so even if we would have hit the 20 spots ASAP, you would still be waiting lol

Seems very misinformed of you to be complaining about timeliness at this point but hey that’s just me.

My comment is for the rest of the people in the thread worried that an official supplier to OEM motorsports teams will somehow not be good enough

Not really, if the 20 allocations would have been taken already, we would have certainty that this is a go, at this point, it is not granted it will actually happen. So I decided to go to an option that is available today and let others know in case someone also wants it now rather than wait and see if this ends up happening or not. Before pulling off I asked if it could be made work out with the 16 people, but I was told that would not be possible. In fact, I would be ok if those 4 spots that were pending would be divided across the 16 buyers that were firm, which would only be $150 more. anyhow, it is what it is. I hope this becomes available in the end as that benefits the community.

Comment

As an update to this, I am engaged in talks with a Montreal based Diff Builder. He's an engineer and I like his approach. We're looking at offering a full build service along with cores.

I feel like this is what will make any FD gear GB successful

Comment

Working...
                                X