Zzyzx85's '03 High Mileage Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zzyzx85's '03 High Mileage Daily Driver

I guess it's time to restart my journal.

2003 M3 Coupe - Imola Red/Black, 6-speed, 2/2003 build

Car's (known) History:
    I purchased it in July 2017 for $7000. It had 3 previous owners (last two was father who then sold it to his son). Found it on M3F in Las Vegas. With its rod bearings done, clean rear subframe, and solid maintenance record (besides some very long OCI), I was willing to over look the fact it had spent most of its 12 years in Las Vegas out in the elements (read: clearcoat failing and crumbling exterior trim) and the 195k miles on the odometer.

I bought it as a driver, not an investment piece.

Mileage (as of 10/2022): 280k miles

Parts List (as of 4/2022):
    wheels: Volk G2 18x9.5 +35, 5mm spacers front, 12mm spacers rear
    suspension: JRZ RS One coilovers, 450/550, Ground Control Street camber plates, Ground Control weight jacks, Turner street rear camber arms, Turner spherical rear upper inner control arm bushing, Syncro Design Works RTAB
    brakes: Stoptech ST40 355x32mm front BBK (need rebuilding), Centric high carbon discs, Centric Semi-metallic pads, rear steel braided lines (front waiting for BBKs)
    engine: WPC treated rod bearings, VANOS bulletproofed using Beisan parts, Karbonius CSL intake with snorkel (full carbon), Euro headers and cats, Kassel tuned HP DME (only used with CSL intake), Supersprint Sport muffler
    chassis: Redish RACP reinforcement plates, Turner solid aluminum subframe bushings
    ICE: Alpine HU, Alpine compact amp, Rockford Fosgate sub
    interior: alcantara wrapped OE steering wheel, Recaro Speed seat, Schroth Rallye 4 Quick-fit
    exterior: LCI LED tail lights

Last edited by zzyzx85; 01-03-2023, 02:53 PM.
    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
    ig: @zzyzx85

I've been posting a lot to the "What did you do with your M3 today?" thread so I'll be moving/copying it here.

October 3, 2021:

Took it to our second track day. Ran a 2:15.xx at Auto Club Speedway Roval, according to Harry's Lap Timer. Mostly just having fun with friends, letting off a little steam, and getting to know a RWD chassis more (came from a '11 STI). Seriously fun how this car can rotate with throttle application.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct-03-2021-Speed Ventures (Sun) [[b0bd5ca7da]] - 6-Sprint Lane - Session 3 (Turn 13) - AC5_2855_Oct0321_330PM_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	131287

Name:	Oct-03-2021-Speed Ventures (Sun) [[b0bd5ca7da]] - 6-Sprint Lane - Session 2 (Turn 7) - AC5_6226_Oct0321_1252PM_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	131288
    Attached Files

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal

Comment

275k on original motor? Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
        275k on original motor? Awesome!
        From as far as we could tell, it's the original engine. I was thinking I'd need to buy another engine to build on the side in case this one blows but haven't really felt like I needed to.

build/journal

Comment

I'd like to know if that subframe is really clean after 275k? have you dropped it? has the floor been reinforced?
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
            I'd like to know if that subframe is really clean after 275k? have you dropped it? has the floor been reinforced?
            It was clean when I bought it at 195k miles. I've since had it reinforced using Redish's kit (noted in first post).

build/journal

Comment

Ever since I've had the car, it was always wet with oil around the oil fill cap and it always smelled like oil when I revved it out. I thought it was the oil fill cap leaking so I replaced it. It didn't fix the weeping oil and the oiI smell was still there so I figured it was the AOS being clogged up that was behind it all (clogged = pressure build up = leaking cap). It was quick to swap but I forgot to order a new o-ring so I'll have to do it again when it comes in. It has helped with the oil smell and I'll have to check to see if the oil stops appearing around the oil fill cap.

Name:	20211023_134148.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	134894

Name:	20211023_161316.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	134895

Name:	20211023_161359.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	134893

build/journal

Comment

In preparation of my first track day with the M3 at Buttonwillow, I did some work on it.

First was getting it corner balanced and aligned again at Chewerks after re-installing GC Street camber plates on it. The GC Race plates I had on it had taken a good beating over the 2 years and the top spherical bearing was rattling.

Name:	image_33835.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	162254
                Last edited by zzyzx85; 04-07-2022, 12:35 PM.

build/journal

Comment

Felt productive so next up was swapping out the Bride Euroster II seat for a Recaro Speed and adding a Schroth Rallye 4 Quick-Fit harness.

The Recaro Speed has much more supportive bolsters, convenient seat fold forward for rear seat access, and a lower seating position, but it was not a simple bolt-in installation. I had to make a few extra holes in the sliders in order for them to fit the base mounts I have. Ultimately, they're a nice upgrade from the Bride seat. I'll have to work on getting the passenger seat installed in it sometime down the line.

Name:	bVA67kC.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	162478

Ran into a snag while installing the Schroth harness. Used a T50 bit but it seemed like the bolt for the seat belt bar was very soft. It was a moment of panic while I tried to figure out how to get it out. My dad, being a former mechanic with 30+ years of experience, suggested I take a hammer to it and use a pair of Visegrips to clamp on it. It worked. No need for a bolt extractor when brute force does it just fine haha. I bought a replacement socket head cap screw (Grade 12.9) to replace it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220402_111441.jpg Views:	26 Size:	275.5 KB ID:	162256
                  Last edited by zzyzx85; 04-07-2022, 10:25 PM.

build/journal

Comment

That paint is fried! haha I love this look though great track car dont need to worry about scratching it and thrashing it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
                      That paint is fried! haha I love this look though great track car dont need to worry about scratching it and thrashing it.
                      Yep. Gotta thank the PO for leaving it outside in Las Vegas for 12+ years 😏

Yeah, I'm debating on repainting it sometime down the line, probably after I get a house and a garage to keep it in lol. I just went in on the Karbonius CSL trunk GB so...that's some more incentive on saving and getting it repainted.

but for now, bad paint ain't care hahaha.

build/journal

Comment

Yesterday, had my first track day with the M3 at Buttonwillow.

Those General G-Max RS tires actually held up pretty well until it started getting hot.

Engine temp got hot once but not enough to turn on the "oh shit" overheating light. It was usually hanging out around the 2nd dot most sessions. Oil temp was hanging out around the dot above middle (255?).

Only spun out once when I was coming out of On-ramp/Buttonhook and I got on the power too early/enthusiastically.

Harry's Lap Timer said I did a 2:17. An OK time but I'm happy with it.

Last edited by zzyzx85; 05-02-2022, 08:20 AM.

build/journal

Comment

punishing that front left tire
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	BW3_8704_Apr0922_1101AM_CaliPhoto.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	163033

Name:	BW3_9200_Apr0922_1111AM_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	163035
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by zzyzx85; 04-12-2022, 09:03 PM.

build/journal

Comment

278k miles: Changed out the spark plugs.

These have not quite 3 years on them, so maybe about 50k miles.

I went with NGK Iridium plugs (DCPR8EIX). Car feels like it idles a little smoother, maybe because the gap has opened up on the old plugs.

build/journal

Comment

last month when I put the CSL airbox back on, I replaced the couple of rubber hoses that connect to the idle control valve and the fuel system evap line

19 year old hoses not looking so hot haha. After I replaced them, I did notice that the car idled a bit better. At least one of them must have been leaking.

build/journal

Comment

Working...
                              X