Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyler's 04 slicktop 6spd Silvergrey MCS/Brembo/CSL/Karbonius/Nogaros/Supersprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Ya I stole it from another! Little things...
    So true! And it's been stolen...just swapped out this afternoon, as a matter of fact. Cheers man!

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
    2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
    My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Very nice! I want to paint my trim Piano black one day...
      2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
      Build///Journal
      IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

You know, with the prices on some of this trim, I bet a good body shop could do a great job for a fair price! Maybe bmw black sapphire paint? My friend has trim repainted by a shop to match the stock titan, but I actually think it looks better than stock. It was years ago, don't remember price.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Tyler does that LED brake light cover just pops down or you need to move somehow? I see there are tow "hooks" above the "door" clips on your photo.

Comment

The soft cover ya, but the light fixture requires more technical removal

Comment

You know, with the prices on some of this trim, I bet a good body shop could do a great job for a fair price! Maybe bmw black sapphire paint? My friend has trim repainted by a shop to match the stock titan, but I actually think it looks better than stock. It was years ago, don't remember price.
              Great idea on the black sapphire, I had a F30 that was black sapphire. The metalic flakes should pop when nicely polished.
              2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
              Build///Journal
              IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

July 2018

I was thinking of my brakes, and the little mods to make them better like brass guide pins, euro pads/rotors, etc., but I then started researching 996 Brembo conversions. Turns out, if you DIY it all, it's very affordable. I ordered rotors/pads from FCPeuro for future replacement, brackets and lines from ECS, and a set of used Boxster S calipers from a dismantler.

My father is a machinist, so he took care of the front mounts for me. I DIY'd the paint job and install. I'll post some photos, but real info/details can be found in my DIY thread:
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...bbk-conversion

While installing the fronts, I first took the opportunity to replace the hub (bearings) with OE FAG.

OLD

NEW

Rears

D737 vs. D738

I've learned a lot since then, so what I've posted here has changed. I've refinished my set a few times now, chasing perfection. I also went with Rallyroad brackets for the front to drop weight (half the weight of CM).

Latest version:

My favorite thing about this "BBK" is the weight loss (unsprung weight). The car feels lighter overall, and very tossable and fun. Looks are there too of course, not gonna lie, especially after I worked out how to get my perfect yellow finish. For street use, braking isn't that much of an upgrade, actually. OE brakes are touchier (esp zcp), work better cold and better initial bite IMO. These brakes shine once up to temp and after repeated stops, which is what suits me for my car's use. The pedal feel is insanely firm as well. I'm using OE Porsche comp textar & ate pads. Fluid is ATE Type200 (higher boiling point).
                Last edited by Tbonem3; 06-09-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

The attention to detail is inspiring, great work!

Comment

Thank you Steve!

Comment

Hi Tyler. Jimmy here, just got on here lol

Comment

oh_look_a_jimmy

Comment

oh_look_a_jimmy
                          Should have used that name ! LOL

Comment

August 2018

I was getting tired of the 4.10s and found a fellow member who wanted to buy it where I could inherit their stock diff. At my mileage, my original diff's LSD was toast, so if i was gonna go back to stock, I wanted a lower mileage diff as I know how important a working LSD is to the dynamics of this car. I also wanted to get more than -1.7 camber in the rear. I had been keeping an eye on adjustable LCAs, mainly aluminum for weight savings, when I got lucky and saw a vendor mis-list some eibach/SPC alloy arms on Amazon for the steel price (half). They quickly re-upped the price after I purchased

Lubed up. Wrote wrench sizes for easy alignment

If your socket wrench isn't slender enough, as you're backing out the rear diff bolts (etorx e12?), an 11mm iirc, offset box end wrench fits perfectly!

Late night swapping by myself When you've done it before, recently, it's not too bad. This stock diff had 71k which I was happy with. I swapped my diff cover back over since it has the AKG poly bushings. Used a new gasket, a new gasket for the drive shaft end, and then new OE SAF XJ + fm booster fluid.

This is why you must remove or loosen, and lean back the diff to R&R control arms (well, the long bolt). The passenger side has enough room iirc, but the driver side doesn't.

Matched exact length to maintain alignment

Leverage; my old friend, Archimedes.

Shiny

With how few miles the car gets, I'm on annual oil changes now.

Last edited by Tbonem3; 07-03-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I love the attention to detail, it takes me back to my military days of cleaning window sills with windex and q-tips and polishing brass pipes with brasso and wool pads 😂.

Comment

Thanks. Sounds like you get it 😆. For me, it was scotch brite pads and wd-40. Polishing the pipes on my dirtbikes, as ritual. The e46 m3 is a perfect segue for me and my "tendencies"

Comment

Working...
                                X