Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zen and the Art of E46 M3 Ownership

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    Your scrub radius will be vastly better than most folks on this forum, and your steering feel will thank you. I expect you'll be fine - I'd personally cap my offset limits at ~et40 which is roughly where you're at.

    Also, I think that airbox is designed specifically to not need a tune - what makes you think that you need one? I'd leave it as is.

    If you're up for getting the springs measured - it would be great to have real numbers for those and not just guesstimates from a few shops. As you're looking to dial the suspension in, keep in mind that your FRC couple will be relative to ride height. If you target CSL ride height, 70.5% is pretty good. I run stock M3 ride height and prefer ~69% even with square tires. If you want lower than CSL, you may want to push it a bit above CSL FRC. This is driven mostly by changes to front suspension geometry as small ride height changes make pretty big roll center changes. Not so much in the rear.

    If you're an NVH hawk like I am, the CSL front sway bar bushings should work fine with that bimmerworld 30.2mm front sway bar. I did this with my old hotchkis bar when I ran that. I'm on a cabrio front bar/CSL rear bar now.

    Beautiful car and hardware
    Thank you for the insight. It is super helpful!

    On the tune: B/c I have euro headers and euro cats, you mentioned before that I would need to convert over to the stock euro tune. I know I should be fine with that, but a part of me figures that maybe there is something to gain from taking it a step further. I was hoping that an HTE tune might yield a bit more power (I don't care about power but if possible to inch a little closer to CSL territory I'll take it), and perhaps a slightly better dynamic. For sure I am open to input here, and something I can take into account.

    Unfortunately with the springs, since the fronts are already on the car I don't think I am going to get them measured. At least not at the moment. My thinking is to see how the car behaves on the road once it's all set up. If I ever did want to be a bit OCD about it, I might just have custom springs made. And then I can have the Bilstein's measured. To be honest, I suspect that I will be pleased with the setup as is though. Might be something for the future if I want to tinker.

    As far as ride height, good call on the FRC. The CSL ride height is supposedly 607mm/602mm F/R +-10mm. That's as low as I want to go. I am inclined to leave the height as pre-set from Bilstein, which I measured just now as 604mm(FR) and 611mm(FL). The rear still needs to be installed, and I am sure it will settle further, and then there is also corner balancing. But overall, it's kind of on point for me out of the box.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Your scrub radius will be vastly better than most folks on this forum, and your steering feel will thank you. I expect you'll be fine - I'd personally cap my offset limits at ~et40 which is roughly where you're at.

    Also, I think that airbox is designed specifically to not need a tune - what makes you think that you need one? I'd leave it as is.

    If you're up for getting the springs measured - it would be great to have real numbers for those and not just guesstimates from a few shops. As you're looking to dial the suspension in, keep in mind that your FRC couple will be relative to ride height. If you target CSL ride height, 70.5% is pretty good. I run stock M3 ride height and prefer ~69% even with square tires. If you want lower than CSL, you may want to push it a bit above CSL FRC. This is driven mostly by changes to front suspension geometry as small ride height changes make pretty big roll center changes. Not so much in the rear.

    If you're an NVH hawk like I am, the CSL front sway bar bushings should work fine with that bimmerworld 30.2mm front sway bar. I did this with my old hotchkis bar when I ran that. I'm on a cabrio front bar/CSL rear bar now.

    Beautiful car and hardware

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Now I just need the calipers back. I decided on running 7.5mm spacers up front. This pushes the face of the wheel within 1.5mm of where the CSL fronts sit, and adds +4.5mm to the scrub radius vs the CSL. Fingers crossed the new scrub radius is minor in effect.



    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Got some pics from Renewed Finished. The calipers are all done. Also the exterior bit of the pistons got cerikoted.










    In the meantime, I got all the O2 wiring stuff taken care of and the airbox installed. Euro headers, Euro section 1, and carbon airbox are all done! Will need to get a tune by the time I get the rear end done and back on the road.






    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post

    So good.
    Love new parts! haha

    Leave a comment:


  • bavarian3
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post
    Got the front end suspension stuff all done this past weekend. Put the old rotors and wheels on (no calipers), and dropped it back on the ground immediately after installing the CABs.

    So good.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Got the front end suspension stuff all done this past weekend. Put the old rotors and wheels on (no calipers), and dropped it back on the ground immediately after installing the CABs.



    When thinking about my suspension set up before I went shopping, Iike I mentioned before, my goal was to achieve the CSL feel as much as possible. I used the FCM Ride Harmony spreadsheet to make the best effort in doing so. I wanted more street oriented coilover kit, as my assumption is that the CSL suspension also leaned a good bit towards being street friendly. While my intent was to use the CSL sway bars front and rear, realizing that the front spring rates of the PSS10's were going to be stiffer than stock I ended up going with a smaller front bar. Funny enough, the Bimmerworld bar fits that bill really well. It's less than a mm smaller than the CSL bar and it's also hollow, with some adjustability to boot.

    PSS10 Spring Rates: 250# F / 450# R (under some compression)
    Front Sway - 30mm hollow - Bimmerworld
    Rear Sway - 22.5mm CSL
    CSL Kingpins​

    I realize that the springs are progressive and that the rates here are an estimate. The front bar wall thickness is an estimate as well. For now this is where I am at. If the want/need is there, custom linear springs would make all of this a certainty.



    Moving on, I stripped the calipers and sent them to Renewed Finishes here in PA to get powder coated black. Looks like someone took a rattle can to em at some point.



    Now just waiting for all the brake stuff, and the front end will be done done. In the meantime, I'll focus on the O2 wiring and carbon airbox install.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by Slideways View Post

    CSL is flush with the edge of the carbon diffuser.

    IMO, the Burkhart exhaust tips stick out a lot based on the picture. If that is when the exhaust is cold, they will be pushed out even more when it gets hot. It is probably easy enough to have a shop cut them down to be flush with the diffuser.
    Haha yeah I caught that right away. But I do like it. It was an unintended surprise.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slideways
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

    They for sure protrude more than stock. But funny enough, I didn't think to compare them to the stock ones when I was doing the install. When I have easier access to the back of the car, I'll confirm. But there is only one way to mount them, so they for sure are longer.
    CSL is flush with the edge of the carbon diffuser.

    IMO, the Burkhart exhaust tips stick out a lot based on the picture. If that is when the exhaust is cold, they will be pushed out even more when it gets hot. It is probably easy enough to have a shop cut them down to be flush with the diffuser.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by b32hpm View Post
    I bought the burkhart exhaust tips as well.
    from your pictures it seems that the tips are protuding more than the oem tips. Is the burkhart tip longer than the oem?
    They for sure protrude more than stock. But funny enough, I didn't think to compare them to the stock ones when I was doing the install. When I have easier access to the back of the car, I'll confirm. But there is only one way to mount them, so they for sure are longer.

    Leave a comment:


  • b32hpm
    replied
    I bought the burkhart exhaust tips as well.
    from your pictures it seems that the tips are protuding more than the oem tips. Is the burkhart tip longer than the oem?

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

    I measured my stock height, and roughly speaking I am at about 14"/14.5" F/R haha. It's an old car with a 100K miles, but that's where it's at currently.
    great, waiting for you to update with the PSS10 factory set height measurements. Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

    Funny i wanted to do the same thing but the CSL springs, the front ones, seem to be NLA, even shocks are hard to get. Max i wanted to EIbach lowering springs on CSL shocks with TMS Camber plates. So yeah the PSS10s will have to do and i do not plan on changing the height from 13.5"/13".
    I measured my stock height, and roughly speaking I am at about 14"/14.5" F/R haha. It's an old car with a 100K miles, but that's where it's at currently.
    Last edited by Bimma360; 08-26-2026, 09:46 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post


    Will do! What I really wanted was to just do the factory CSL springs and struts (was the same price as the PSS10's, at least least a few months ago). But unfortunately, I wasn't confident I could get the car down to 3150 lbs without ripping out sound deadening. Really hoping the PSS10's prove to be the ideal street set up. Not looking to lower the car much from factory. I took ride height measurements, as is stock, and am leaving the PSS10's at the pre-set height from Bilstein. I am assuming they did that on purpose and for optimal shock travel haha. We'll see how much that lowers the car, and I'll go from there.
    Funny i wanted to do the same thing but the CSL springs, the front ones, seem to be NLA, even shocks are hard to get. Max i wanted to EIbach lowering springs on CSL shocks with TMS Camber plates. So yeah the PSS10s will have to do and i do not plan on changing the height from 13.5"/13".

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

    Very Nice. Please give us your feedback about the PSS10's. I am waiting for shipping prices to normalize so i can order them.

    Once i do i will be installing them with brand new CSL Kingpins and wheel bearings all around like you but will also do the my ST60/ST40 caliper refresh and rebuild at the same time.

    Will do! What I really wanted was to just do the factory CSL springs and struts (was the same price as the PSS10's, at least least a few months ago). But unfortunately, I wasn't confident I could get the car down to 3150 lbs without ripping out sound deadening. Really hoping the PSS10's prove to be the ideal street set up. Not looking to lower the car much from factory. I took ride height measurements, as is stock, and am leaving the PSS10's at the pre-set height from Bilstein. I am assuming they did that on purpose and for optimal shock travel haha. We'll see how much that lowers the car, and I'll go from there.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X