Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zen and the Art of E46 M3 Ownership

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bimma360
    replied
    Installed the 6x9 subs during my lunch today. Updated them with a pair of kickers. Nothing fancy just wanted to put in something fresh made with better materials, and can handle more power if I went down that route later. The kickers are 4 ohm, so I wired them in parallel to adjust for the hk sub amp's 2 ohm rating. Honestly, the whole system (Avin 4, bavsound + these kickers) sounds great. I know it will be pretty spectacular with an amp upgrade, but it doesn't really leave me wanting too badly at the moment. I have no rear shelf rattle, so no tennis ball mod needed haha. I don't know if this is the case for all E46 M3's or just later models, but my rear shelf has a brace that gets bolted in the middle directly to the metal shelf. I do have some vibration though, and it's directly with the plastic sub enclosure. If I put my hands under it and push up against the metal shelf I can just about stop the vibration. In my situation the best thing I can do with this system at this moment, is to make a new enclosure for under that rear shelf. We'll see though how it all sounds once the back seat is in there. Maybe its a moot point.



    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by R60BBA View Post
    Enjoying the thread so far fella.

    It looks like your car is coming along nicely.

    Must ask though but what were the areas of concern with your respray?
    It's primarily with the trunk. Didn't get enough paint on the bottom inner edge, and you can still see the primer in most areas down there. There are three paint knubs on the back face, and also a bit more orange peel on that surface than anywhere else on the car. They just didn't do a good job inspecting that area before I came to pick it up.

    Leave a comment:


  • R60BBA
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post
    Car's finally back! Of course I won't have time for the car this weekend, haha.

    Generally, I am pretty pleased though. There are a few small areas of concern that they are going to address. I am going to put everything back on the car first and give it some time for the paint to further cure.

    Oh the joys of refreshing old cars.

    Enjoying the thread so far fella.

    It looks like your car is coming along nicely.

    Must ask though but what were the areas of concern with your respray?

    Leave a comment:


  • Loopyspec
    replied
    She's perfect! I love the progress

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied


    Got the rest of the CSL panels and new A and B pillar trims installed this weekend. Really just seats and center console left. I think I am going to hold off on installing the Nogaro's until after the car comes back from the paint shop again.



    Next I am going to see if I can salvage the Alcantara on this steering wheel. Would be cool to keep the original in use. I am hopeful.



    And just a shot while I had the car out...

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Got the driver CSL door panel installed, and moved on to the rear deck.

    I didn't want to delete the 2.5" rear side speakers, so I moved them to the rear deck. Those little enclosures weren't so easy to find haha. Installed new C-pillar trim, and mostly buttoned up back there!



    I'll have the rest of the trim and panels installed pretty quickly, so I got cracking on the shifter console carbon trim. Wet sanded through 1000 grit paper. I need to do a post cure at 140*F for 6 hours. I am sure there will be some imprinting, so will start with 1000 again and work my way up through 2000. Then polish. I am using resin with a UV additive, so no clear necessary. Just lots and lots of sanding hahah.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by RockyMtnM3 View Post
    🤤...Love this car, great work. I respect your desires to DD it, but I couldn't imagine just driving it to local Office depot and back. This car reminds of me a Bimmerlife article a while back talking about point A-to-A cars.

    Reading you WTB thread on gearing; 4.10's on those PA roads would be awesome esp with the SMG, imo.
    I’ll be sure to snap a pic on its first run to Home Depot haha.

    Leave a comment:


  • RockyMtnM3
    replied
    🤤...Love this car, great work. I respect your desires to DD it, but I couldn't imagine just driving it to local Office depot and back. This car reminds of me a Bimmerlife article a while back talking about point A-to-A cars.

    Reading you WTB thread on gearing; 4.10's on those PA roads would be awesome esp with the SMG, imo.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by Avedis View Post
    Awesome job on the door panels, especially the rivnut detail. The next time my door panels are off I'm going to upgrade to the rivnuts and replace my vapor barriers. I didn't realize this was how it was done from the factory until after I did mine.

    Enjoying the journal, keep it going!
    Thanks dude. I used M6 rivnuts b/c I already had them, and the bolts too otherwise the cap bolts is the way to go for sure. The holes on the brackets are exactly M6 sized, so there is no room for adjustment when mounting. M8 is probably the right call for those, FYI.

    Again, your DIY made life so much easier. Huge help.

    Leave a comment:


  • Avedis
    replied
    Awesome job on the door panels, especially the rivnut detail. The next time my door panels are off I'm going to upgrade to the rivnuts and replace my vapor barriers. I didn't realize this was how it was done from the factory until after I did mine.

    Enjoying the journal, keep it going!
    Last edited by Avedis; 06-09-2026, 02:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

    Getting older so I don't mind if no buckets lol
    Hahah I have the non bucket sport seats in my X3M (same ones as the M3). They are very good!

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

    Yeah that's very nice haha. Speaking of green, the British Racing Green is so nice on these cars too. But you gotta have the buckets!
    Getting older so I don't mind if no buckets lol

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimma360
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
    Yeah that's very nice haha. Speaking of green, the British Racing Green is so nice on these cars too. But you gotta have the buckets!

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    That spec!!!!

    531 likes, 6 comments - interesting_individual_bmws on June 9, 2026: "BMW (2026-G81-LCI) M3 Competition xDrive Individual: Exterior: Dark Emerald Metallic (R94) Interior: Tartufo Full Merino Leather Wheels: Silver 1063Ms Recently, BMW have been sneaking new Individual colours onto the configurator without me noticing. This is one of these fresh paints, Dark Emerald Metallic. With so many colours on offer, you would expect them to be running out of variations, but no- this new green shade is not unlike anything else. It genuinely looks black in shadow/overcast conditions, and becomes a magical, hazy, deep green when the light hits it. It reminds me of the Northern Lights! This car has been fitted with a set of silver M-Performance 1063M wheels, which are a total work of art and suit the classy 'Green over Tan' spec brilliantly. Inside, Tartufo full leather was selected, but pleasingly, not on the carbon buckets- rather the much more appropriate standard seats. This is a really, really clean, tasteful, well-thought-out and rare spec- a true credit to the owner 👌 Owned and enjoyed by @m3zulu #BMW #BMWIndividual #M3 #DarkEmerald #IndividualM3".

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimma360 View Post

    Oh for sure. If the G81 was offered in the states, I would be in it right now. Maybe even the CS version. I would have traded in the X3M and probably wouldn't have done this whole E46 endeavor. I 100% agree on the Auto AWD. These cars are much better in that spec. You need the auto transmission to stay in boost.

    BUT, a less HP version in manual and CS guise weirdly sounds good to me on paper. The way my brain works makes no sense. I say that, but had very little to no interest in a manual e46 M3.

    Going back to the G81, if you are a US citizen, willing to spend more than the car is worth, willing to rent a place in Puerto Rico, willing to stay in PR for 6 months, and willing to grease some palms... there might just be a way to get a G81 into the states "legally." I went down that rabbit hole a while ago, its all theoretical and a lot of a pieces, but where there is a will there is a way hahah.
    oh thanks for that info! It’s an option now lol. And a g81 cs would be awesome!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X