Originally posted by Grke46m3
View Post
Originally posted by karter16
View Post
I use a Singer Heavy Duty Model: 4411. I can't even tell you anything other than that, since I bought it over 10 years ago, and I don't even remember the specs haha. It's a budget starter machine. What I have learned though is you really need a "post bed sewing machine" for this type of work, but those are more of a commitment as they cost over a grand. The Singer I have, for example, is a flatbed machine and is good for 80-90% of the work. When you get to tight curves, it gets really hard to use a flatbed and do it right. Case in point, the rear headrests, after learning my lesson with the e36 I am just going to take to a shop to do them for me. They are impossible to do right on a flatbed. In fact the curvature in that middle section of the seatback pictured above was a pain in the ass. 10 years ago I didn't know any better when I was shopping for machines. But If I was going to do an entire interior this time around, and not just the back seat I would buy the expensive post bed machine. The amount of money you are saving doing a full interior more than justifies/pays for buying a nice machine. And it will make the whole experience so much easier and more pleasant.













Leave a comment: