• Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Sale: 2003 BMW M3 / Steel Grey on Imola Red / San Diego, CA

Color: Steel Grey on Imola Red
    Prod Date: 09/2002
    VIN: WBSBL93453JR18949
    Mileage: ~ 215k

Sadly the time has come to part ways with my E46 M3. I picked her up in Sept 2006 with a paltry 24k miles on her, and here we are 15+ years later at nearly 215k. I’ve done a lot of work over the years, and took advantage of, as well as contributed to many of the DIYs on the old m3forum.

A lot has happened over 15 years, with all the major bullet proofing:
    • Alternator (replaced thrice, at 56k, 66k, and 213k miles)
    • CSL Airbox & DME (209k miles)
    • SMG Hydraulic Pump Rebuild (Including new OEM accumulator, motor rebuild by Burkhart engineering, new seals, Burkhart fluid, etc.)
    • Diff Rebuild (200k miles) with OEM 4.10 Ring/Pinion, Racing Diffs LSD Clutch Pack
    • New OEM AC Compressor & System Recharge (199k miles)
    • AST 4100 suspension rebuild (199k miles)
    • New Rod Bearings (first one done before I bought it under recall, 2nd time in my garage at 197k miles)
    • Subframe Reinforcement (inc. refreshed all OEM rear suspension bushings/diff bushings at 196k miles)
    • Motor Mounts (twice, 96k and 197k miles)
    • All wheel bearings replaced (196k miles)
    • Driveshaft center support bearing replaced (194k miles)
    • Pulleys/tensioners/belts (replaced a few times, most recently at 194k miles)
    • Airbag recalls done (191k miles)
    • SMG Gear Position Sensor replaced (154k miles)
    • VANOS rebuild by Dr. Vanos (107k miles)
    • Cooling System Overhaul (107k miles)
    • Clutch & Components Replaced Due to Failed Throwout Bearing (96k miles)
    • Rear view mirror recall/warranty replacement (I forgot the mileage, it was in 2007).
    • GM5 Module repaired by BMWGM5.com
    • Instrument Cluster repaired by BMWGM5.com

All the service schedules were followed. Most work was performed by me, except for things I wasn’t equipped to work on (subframe reinforcement, AC compressor/recharge). View the maintenance history sheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note: If you see something missing ask me, I reconstructed a lot of the early work on that sheet from receipts, and it wouldn’t surprise me if I missed adding something.

Other mods include:
    • Early Vorsteiner CSL Bootlid
    • Fucy (remember them!?) CSL Diffuser
    • AST 4100’s
    • OEM BMW Motorsport 4.10 Ring/Pinion
    • OEM CSL Wheels (currently wrapped in PS4S)
    • Karbonius CSL Airbox + OEM Flap
    • OEM CSL DME (Kassel Performance)
    • TTFS SMG Software
    • AVIN Avant 3 (I still have the OEM nav if you want it, but it’s really just a museum piece at this point).
    • OEM LED Tail Lights (installed in 2006, driver side was replaced in 2019 due to a failed LED)
    • OEM Euro/Aspheric Mirror Glass
    • E60 M5 Shift Knob
    • Comp Package Brake Rotors (and caliper carriers)
    • Supersprint Race Exhaust (headers & section 1/2 are OEM)
    • Pillars/Headliner reupholstered in Genuine Alcantara (sold by Gulf Fabrics)
    • Pre-wired for Valentine 1/Dash Cam
    • Steering Wheel Rewrapped by Royal Steering (Thicker wheel + perforated leather + tri-stitch) in 2014
    • HK system was replaced with Infinity Kappas up front (custom tweeter mounts), Kicker Comp 6.5" subs on the rear deck, powered by a JL Audio XD400 amp.
    I still have the OEM Airbox/DME (for CA smog), as well as a new set of Comp Pkg Fronts still in boxes (I was part of the group buy that didn’t deliver on the new OEM fronts). The OEM fronts have been refinished a few times, the rears were replaced and still have the factory finish.

The full disclosure:
    • Paint needs work (notably the mirrors, bootlid, and diffuser). Front bumper could use a respray as well. There have been no major accidents (except a love tap at a light on my rear bumper, and a few door dings here and there). I managed to key my own car (with a clip that was hanging out of my pocket, while squeezing into the car in a tight parking space), so the driver side was resprayed.
    • Subframe was reinforced due to cracks.
    • Driver side front suspension pillar was also reinforced due to a crack (even with the BMW reinforcement plate, go figure).
    • Leather, while maintained, is about as good as I was able to keep it over 15 years. I didn’t tint until much later, so the rear seat backs could use a reupholster due to UV damage/shrinkage. Driver side seat was reupholstered about 10 years ago due to failed stitching.
    • Driver side heated seat back does not work (and hasn’t worked for the last decade).
    What you will likely have to look forward to if you purchase this car:
    • It’s almost time for another cooling system overhaul.
    • Clutch, sometime in the next 100k miles
    • That’s it.
    I’m sure I’ve missed plenty, so if you have questions, please ask!

I honestly was super torn about what I wanted to list this for, because the car is worth more to me than any amount of money I’ll realistically get for it, and I know I’ll look back at this moment with regret. It’s more important to me that this car goes to a good home, and I will happily wait as long as I need to for that person. If you're an avid DIYer I'll throw in the special tools. I always wanted this to be my forever track car, but space is starting to get tight with a new toy on the way.

Photos taken today here: https://imgur.com/a/0soluJE

Asking: $25k USD OBO
    Last edited by sddynamix; 02-21-2022, 11:37 AM.

Awesome condition with that mileage, I’d much rather buy a car like this than a lower mile example without the same pedigree. Glws!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Just passed CA Smog today at 215300 miles, Airbox/Kassel ECU are off but can be put back on.

Comment

Working...
        X