Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CSL flippers - originals -v- current ones

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CSL flippers - originals -v- current ones

    EDITED TO CLARIFY, THE ONES IN THE FORE-GROUND ARE THE ORIGINALS AND THE ONES IN THE BACK-GROUND ARE THE NEW ONES (the creamy coloured stuff on the OE ones is where they have had the mold taken from them).

    Not sure where to put this, so thought I would start here and then if Mark feels it belongs in the for sale section, it can be moved.

    Having seen how poor the current BMW flippers are now that BMW are no longer getting them made from the original supplier (coming unlacquered and needing trimming to make them even fit), I gave my spare set to my mate who makes carbon parts for a living (he supplies parts for Indy Car, historic F1 and Mitsubishi UK as a guide to the quality) and he came up with these. They weren't intended to be exact copies (a bit of confusion in communication), but he even replicated the OE stickers :whistle:.

    Don't get me wrong, the idea wasn't / isn't to fool anyone, but for people to be able to stick these ones on the car (as they are cheaper / better than the current BMW ones) and then keep the original items for when the car is sold. That way people can keep the genuine "generation 1" items in perfect condition and not have to worry about putting the shonky "generation 2" ones on the car (as well as having to modify them to fit and lacquer them, which all adds to the cost).

    I believe I can organise a group buy, so was wondering if peeps would be interested. If so, we can also ensure that a contribution goes to the website for each set sold (say £10), so everyone wins - people get to protect their original items, the register gets some additional funding and my mate has an additional product in his line-up.

    Let me know what you think - price would be £300 a pair plus carriage and as said, out of that £10 would go to the Register for every set sold.

    If people are offended by the stickers being copied, I can ask for these to be removed - these were the first ones out of the mold.

    These are properly made from pre-preg carbon laid up and formed in an autoclave, all as per the original process. In fact the inside part is actually better finished than even the original ones.





















    If they do well, it will also allow him to move on to the rear centre console, where the finish will be replicated as per the door panels and won't crack like the plastic ones, as well as completing the interior of the car off nicely.

    #2
    nice.. but i'm interested in the one on your car. Vorsteiner........

    why dun you make a replica of that? I'm in

    Comment


      #3
      Wow great Idea, if i wouldn't own 2 Sets already i would probably take part. If shipping outside UK is not a problem.

      But in my opinion, i think the replicated Sticker is going a bit too far.
      Why would you want that if not for tricking people into believing that they are genuine parts? Its going to be a mess in the future if you want to buy used, but genuine ones.

      Greets Julian

      Comment


        #4
        I could do with a set

        Comment


          #5
          Very nice idea Mike and appreciated.
          I support it.


          However i bought a month ago the new unlacquered ones (as i sold my spare set to Paul) and i fot them lacquered and they look perfect.
          Not sure what you say about the need of triming.

          Comment


            #6
            Mk 1 splitters

            Mark

            definitely up for a set.......

            Mk2's are very poor in comparison.:thumbs:

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by select View Post
              Wow great Idea, if i wouldn't own 2 Sets already i would probably take part. If shipping outside UK is not a problem.

              But in my opinion, i think the replicated Sticker is going a bit too far.
              Why would you want that if not for tricking people into believing that they are genuine parts? Its going to be a mess in the future if you want to buy used, but genuine ones.

              Greets Julian
              Shipping worldwide is not a problem - like I said, the stickers were a bit of a miscommunication - I gave him mine and said "copy these" and he did what I asked :bigcry::hahaha:.

              People can have them with or without.

              However, as an aside (and again to help the forum), these will only be available to paid up members (it's only £10 to join, so no excuse really ).

              If anyone genuinely wants a set, then please post your interest here and then also PM me for details.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by khooni View Post
                nice.. but i'm interested in the one on your car. Vorsteiner........

                why dun you make a replica of that? I'm in
                Because it would involve removing it from the car (and as it is bonded on as well as fixed in the normal method, I am loathe to go through with all that, unless I had 10 confirmed orders (to justify the cost of doing it)).

                Comment


                  #9
                  They look quality!

                  Can I make a suggestion, I would recommend that the mounting hole not be drilled. I have multiple sets of Mk1 splitters and two front bumpers made 2 years apart and I can tell you that the mounting holes are matched to each individual bumper so they will all vary ever ao slightly. If it was me getting a set I would prefer no holes drilled!!

                  You should get him to start making the roof!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
                    They look quality!

                    Can I make a suggestion, I would recommend that the mounting hole not be drilled. I have multiple sets of Mk1 splitters and two front bumpers made 2 years apart and I can tell you that the mounting holes are matched to each individual bumper so they will all vary ever ao slightly. If it was me getting a set I would prefer no holes drilled!!

                    You should get him to start making the roof!!
                    Comments duly note and they will come undrilled .

                    If anyone in the UK had a spare roof sitting around, then this would be easy to do. However, how fussy he (and obviously us CSL owners) are, it would need to be a genuine one to ensure an exact replica to OE(M ) standard.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
                      They look quality!

                      Can I make a suggestion, I would recommend that the mounting hole not be drilled. I have multiple sets of Mk1 splitters and two front bumpers made 2 years apart and I can tell you that the mounting holes are matched to each individual bumper so they will all vary ever ao slightly. If it was me getting a set I would prefer no holes drilled!!

                      You should get him to start making the roof!!
                      I have dehumidified my CSL over winter and managed to eliminate most of my roof 'watermarks' but I think I will have to get a new roof within the next year or two MAX ;-(

                      Comment


                        #12
                        If I get my refund from Vorsteiner im in for these too. I'll renew my forum membership then. Thanks for doing this, they look amazing.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          They look great Mike - count me in for a set and I don't mind paying for membership either :thumbs:

                          Look forward to the rear centre console being done in carbon fibre as well!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Count me in.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Count me in too Mike...these look quality :thumbs:

                              ...and the Vorsteiner too

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X