Let’s see your E36 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T3amfish View Post

im in UT too.. also have an S54 swap... GET THAT FILTER OUT OF THE ENGINE BAY ASAP!!

we have done extensive testing with intakes on many S54 swapped E36's and we saw 136* intake temps with filters in the engine bay.. was pulling all kinds of power and timing. either sink that filter into the bumper and pull the fog light cover for fresh air or use a SPECTRE shielded intake air filter.. we now see 2-3* above ambient, even in summer up here in UT
    Interesting, I have never heard this. My car has always performed flawlessly with the filter in the engine bay, albeit with a nice custom heat shield. Recently dyno'd at 329 rwhp and 256 ft/lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 Engine Bay.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	93516
    Attached Files

Comment

Run INPA, or something while driving to scan you IAT’s, once moving fast it’s not a huge issue but around town, ours got high

Comment

Originally posted by T3amfish View Post
        Run INPA, or something while driving to scan you IAT’s, once moving fast it’s not a huge issue but around town, ours got high
        Ok. My car is a race car, so around town drivability is the least of my concerns. Apples and oranges.

Comment

I've done a bunch of temperature logging, and despite sucking from the engine bay, my intake temps are ~ambient by 10mph. 0-10mph is traction limited even on hot R comps, so I've never really cared that I'm not making full power there.

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	95427

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Add another to the e36/s54 category. Done using all oem parts, a mix of z3m s54, euro e36 m3 ( ac stuff) and e46 m3.
            210k on the shell. 1500 on all suspension/ subframe components/ 80k on the motor ( vanos bearings and all gaskets and seals changed while the motor was out). SS headers, ss resonated section 1, ss csl 2.5 inch section 2 into a bimmerworld rear muffler.

Attached Files

Comment

Clean, where did you source the unobtainium z3m air filter box?

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. The box was direct from Germany along with the rest of the front end ac and plastic parts. Only thing non oem is the condenser fan, which is driven by the e46 m3 ecu via pwm. All the relays and the fuses are in the e36 fuse box so nothing stuffed in the e36 dme cubby. Z3m s54 cluster also to simplify the wiring.

Comment

I also used an oem e36 m3 evo oil cooler and oil cooler duct. Those are critical.
                  Attached Files

Comment

How long did it take you to do all the wiring on that?

Comment

It took a decent amount of time as it was fairly tedious. The power wiring needed to he extended to reach the fuse box. Tye swap harness was made longer to locate the fuel pump relay in the fuse box already. Switched to the turner intake over the course of this week.

Comment

Fantastic work fellow Estoril brother. I almost went with the Turner box too

Comment

Fitment is tighter than I would like but so is the factory manifold. Now the fk csl filter is holding me back.... plan to order 3 more once turner gets them in stock.

Comment

New to the forums, here's my 1998 sedan, very much a work in progress.

Name:	WcB7MxMh.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	108028

Name:	kQaOgmyh.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	108029

Name:	lf47NoJh.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	108030

Comment

^ Nice, love those wheels.

Comment

Second one going under the knife soon. Getting all suspension maintenance done currently then s54 time.

Comment

Working...
                                X