Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a '98 M3 - What do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a '98 M3 - What do I need to know?

I am considering a '98 M3 as a father son project. Is there anything special I need to look for when I check it out?

-Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

You'll want to ask for this to be moved to the E36 subforum.

Comment

Comment

Sheet metal for mounts (strut/shock/sway), OPN, cooling system overhaul.

Grab an M/S50 intake manifold.

Wonderful little cars
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Nothing crazy but rust is the KILLER of E36s. Inspect the jacking points (Right under where the holes in the side of the side skirts are) if they have surface rust. Fine buy the car and fix them. But if they have crust. Run.

Comment

Besides what everyone else said, inspect the RTAB pockets. Reinforce them if you can for peace of mind.

Comment

Rust and paint. Look for rust underneath, behind the front wheels. All over the trunk lid; by the plate, the lights, the emblem, the edge. The inside trunk edge where the rubber seal goes over the raised area. I always make sure that's dry after washing the car. Around the tail lights. Door edges, rear quarters. Under the spare, under the battery. Look for rust everywhere. Everywhere.

Other than that, they are very strong cars once refreshed. It's an easy car to work on. At least the suspension and cooling will probably need to be done. The engines are extremely reliable in my experience. Of the two I've owned over almost 100k miles, the engines needed the least amount of attention.

I think the RTAB reinforcement is only needed for a track car, but that debate is out there. Definitely inspect it.
              Last edited by 01SG; 02-11-2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

It's comical a German manufacturer of cars would let all these basic issues plague their cars, most comical of course being a failed subfloor on one of their motorsport derived products.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                  It's comical a German manufacturer of cars would let all these basic issues plague their cars, most comical of course being a failed subfloor on one of their motorsport derived products.
                  Bean Counters, IMO.

Comment

Awesome cars. Buy one from a dry state, do the cooling system, and get the latest build date you can find.
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

The E36 has far fewer major problems than the 46. Actually, the E36 doesn't have any major issues. Nothing like Vanos, RACP, or bearings. i'd cut them some slack anyway, remember that this was a tumultuous time for the industry. Porsche almost went out of business, hence the cost cutting 996. Look at what we were making over here in America at the time...

As for latest build date, that applies only if you're not getting the much superior and more special 1995! I jest. Mostly. Fewer things to go wrong on the early cars, plus they are set up better from the factory.

Comment

Many thanks. How about mileage? Two owner car with about 205k. Is that too many miles regardless of how well it has been cared for?

Jesse
                        Last edited by D-O; 02-11-2022, 02:10 PM.
                        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

m/s50/2 are very stout
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                            Engineering has its limits, as does MSRP. These were what $60k cars in '06? My other '06 cost double that and then some new. Obviously, they didn't sell 85,000 of those. To do what this car does and keep it under $60k was quite a feat, actually IMO.

maw

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X