Play/dead center in steering at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play/dead center in steering at speed

When upgrading control arms with m on my 335i I also installed the m3 steering rack. My car did not have the servotronic so I kept it unplugged as I love heavy steering feel. It was great for a year or so like 8-10k mile. Then I started feeling some play dead center spot at speed and it gets looser when drive faster. When slo or parked no play. I was wondering what can it be? Could I damaged the steering rack driving without plugging the servo assistance motor on the rack? Any way I can check it somehow? Can it be something in the steering shaft coz more resistance with heavier steering? I would really appreciate any help from people who is more familiar with e9x platform, this is my daily and I do not know much in depth rather then regular maintenance stuff. Thank you!

I also have wondered about the long-term effects of disabling power assist. If the power assist acts on the rack, then I'd imagine everything upstream of the rack should experience a lot more force if the assist isn't there.

In your case: if something in the steering were the problem, wouldn't you also notice it when slow or parked? I wouldn't rule out a steering issue but it seems more like an alignment-related issue to my amateur mind.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

mine is ok when car is parked and driving slowly. Get progressively worse with speed. Also all my suspension is like less than 10k miles and recently did the alignment... that's why I am puzzled. I can try to connect some voltage to the servotronic motor to see if it changes anything.

Comment

Working...
      X