E46 M3 vs E92 for light track duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 vs E92 for light track duty

I am looking to pick up either a 2nd e46 m3 or an e92 m3 for light track duty. I really love the e46 platform but it's all I know at this point from a performance car perspective. I keep hearing the e92 has been upgraded in just about every way and that is appealing to me. It seems like e92 m3 can be had for a similar amount to an e46, is this the right move? I am not biased between DCT or 6MT.

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
    I am looking to pick up either a 2nd e46 m3 or an e92 m3 for light track duty. I really love the e46 platform but it's all I know at this point from a performance car perspective. I keep hearing the e92 has been upgraded in just about every way and that is appealing to me. It seems like e92 m3 can be had for a similar amount to an e46, is this the right move? I am not biased between DCT or 6MT.
    If buying a 2nd car, I'd get an e9X just to have variety-- two of the same car is a bit silly. But. with those two cars in my fleet, the e9X is the better DD and the e46 is the car I'd rather track and take out on fun drives.

So, IMO, neither of the options you're suggesting.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

If buying a 2nd car, I'd get an e9X just to have variety-- two of the same car is a bit silly. But. with those two cars in my fleet, the e9X is the better DD and the e46 is the car I'd rather track and take out on fun drives.

So, IMO, neither of the options you're suggesting.
      Interesting take on it. It would be a 3rd car, but I would like to DD on nice weather stretches. I don't know how it is in your area, but it seems like at BMW dominant track days here (Palmer, Limerock, Thompson) the more popular M3 chassis are always E36 & E9X. I don't think as many people in this area track their E46s.

Comment

Interesting take on it. It would be a 3rd car, but I would like to DD on nice weather stretches. I don't know how it is in your area, but it seems like at BMW dominant track days here (Palmer, Limerock, Thompson) the more popular M3 chassis are always E36 & E9X. I don't think as many people in this area track their E46s.
        Interesting. Around here, e46 is the most common M3 chassis I see at the track.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

E9x is a significantly more capable platform and doesn't have the E46's structural issues. E9x is also heavier, so it'll never be as fun in that tossable kind of way. Aside from fuel (E9x is thirstier) and maybe tires (E9x is heavier), running costs are basically a wash as long as you're within FCP Euro's catalog; otherwise expect the E9x to cost a bit more.

Have you driven an E9x M3? There's not much any of us can tell you that'd be better than your own impressions from real seat time.
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
            E9x is a significantly more capable platform and doesn't have the E46's structural issues. E9x is also heavier, so it'll never be as fun in that tossable kind of way. Aside from fuel (E9x is thirstier) and maybe tires (E9x is heavier), running costs are basically a wash as long as you're within FCP Euro's catalog; otherwise expect the E9x to cost a bit more.

Have you driven an E9x M3? There's not much any of us can tell you that'd be better than your own impressions from real seat time.
            The expenses of tracking are fuel, tires, and brakes... and it certainly uses more of all of them :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I literally don't know how guys track the s65, unless they're bringing barrels of gas in the trailer with them. If I drive WOT through one little canyon, I lose a 1/4 tank just like that. How can you do more than a session or two at 8/10s-10/10ths?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post

Haven't driven an E9X yet. The upfront time savings of not having to tear apart the subframe and vanos are huge for me already.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  I literally don't know how guys track the s65, unless they're bringing barrels of gas in the trailer with them. If I drive WOT through one little canyon, I lose a 1/4 tank just like that. How can you do more than a session or two at 8/10s-10/10ths?
                  SYT_Shadow
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                  Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                  Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Haven't driven an E9X yet. The upfront time savings of not having to tear apart the subframe and vanos are huge for me already.
                    You still need to do that if you’re keeping the e46 for street use. Tracking doesn’t even make the VANOS stuff happen sooner.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The S65 on track is pretty good with gas. And the stock fuel system allows you to drain the tank completely without starving in turns, so that's another plus.

The S65 seems like a prius on track compared to the S55, it's just incredible how the S55 drinks gas on track.

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
                        The S65 on track is pretty good with gas. And the stock fuel system allows you to drain the tank completely without starving in turns, so that's another plus.

The S65 seems like a prius on track compared to the S55, it's just incredible how the S55 drinks gas on track.
                        S85 has entered the chat.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                        X