Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which SPL front ARB end link w/ Öhlins R&T kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which SPL front ARB end link w/ Öhlins R&T kit?

Have an Öhlins R&T kit set to ZCP ride height, and want to replace my ARB end links with SPL. Gotta be SPL because FCP Euro sells them, and I want that sweet lifetime guarantee.

Thing is, SPL has two options for the front: one lists a maximum length of 11.9", and the other lists a minimum length of 12.9". That means there's a 1" dead zone between the two options.

I measured my OE one at 12.5" from bolt to bolt – right in the middle of the dead zone between the two SPL options.

So, which SPL option do I pick? Shorter or longer?
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

If the Ohlins are designed to work with the stock end link, like they are on the E46, then you'll need something close to that length. Since it is FCP, you could always order both and send one back if you would like to try the SPL ones. Turner has sealed ball joint endlinks that come in many sizes - https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...-pair/?pdk=ARU

These probably get replaced every 100k miles and only one is required to dial out sway bar preload.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      If the Ohlins are designed to work with the stock end link, like they are on the E46, then you'll need something close to that length. Since it is FCP, you could always order both and send one back if you would like to try the SPL ones.
      The one that bottoms out at 12.9" is the closer one to stock, and it's the one 3DM Motorsport has listed on their site (they're the authority for Öhlins on this platform). The reason I'm hesitating is that it's longer than stock. Shouldn't I need shorter, if anything?

Ordering both from FCP and returning one set seems like a good idea. Guess I need to check if they can be returned if opened (and potentially test-fitted).
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

It depends on where the endlink mount is located on the strut relative to the spindle. The E9X Ohlins kit appears to have an adjustable strut body. If 3DM has the longer ones for your kit, then those are probably the ones to get.

Comment

which one are you looking at on fcp?

The shorter one I see says: Position: Front, Only for aftermarket coilovers that utilize a flat seat on the shock body for the sway bar link mount.

Since the Ohlin uses the stock end links, I think I'm not sure if they have a flat seat where the end link mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post
            which one are you looking at on fcp?

The shorter one I see says: Position: Front, Only for aftermarket coilovers that utilize a flat seat on the shock body for the sway bar link mount.

Since the Ohlin uses the stock end links, I think I'm not sure if they have a flat seat where the end link mounts.
            Öhlins does have flat seats but they also include adapters so you can use the stock end links.
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
              Öhlins does have flat seats but they also include adapters so you can use the stock end links.
              Then you should be good then.

Maybe look at the position the sway bar is in with the stock end links and if it looks good then go with the ones closest to stock height. If you think a shorter link would put the bar in a better position then go with the smaller one.

My suspension is different, so I can't comment on if shorter is better for the Ohlin's but on some setups it is.

Comment

Update: the shorter kit (FE-E9X) is definitely NOT the one to get for this Öhlins kit. Presumably that's why 3DM only lists the longer one (FE-E9M) for this application. Honestly I'm kind of embarrassed that I second-guessed 3DM in public. Lesson learned, hopefully!
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Working...
                X