Parking brake refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking brake refresh

As part of the major drivetrain/suspension refresh I'm planning, I figured it'd be a good idea to refresh some of the e-brake hardware as a matter of course (everything will already be apart).

Anyone see a reason to include the backing plates and cable brackets in the refresh operation? FCP Euro includes those parts in the overhaul kit they sell, but I don't understand why. Are these parts ever worn/fatigued/whatever?
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

I don't have direct experience with this kit, but from years of E46 work, and looking at these types of kits, i'ts quite obvious to me that they include every little thing so as to generate as much business profit as possible. Seldom, if ever, do you need EVERY piece included in these types of kits. It seems like the vendors really capitalized on enthusiasts' growing desire to refurbish these M cars, esp after around 2015. My opinion anyway.

To answer your questions more directly, no I wouldn't buy those parts (or the kit). I wouldn't buy most of the parts in the kit unless the car were at the bottom of the ocean for a while. I would do what I did to my high mileage and older E46, buy the shoes and the springs/hardware only.
    Last edited by Tbonem3; 01-30-2023, 10:55 AM.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Having gone through that myself you definitely do not need or want to do parking brake cables. If you live in the rust belt, they permanently seize to the bores in the subframe they go through. I was forced to do mine since some stupid shop overtorqued the nuts, causing the cable to twist.

Backing plates can rust but I personally did not have that issue with my car spending 10+ years of winter driving.

Edit: whoops just realized this is the E9X forum and not E46. Might still apply if similar?

Comment

I wouldn't change the parking brake cables unless you are having an issue with them or they look damaged. Same with the backing plates.

Now what I would like to do, is put in some F8x rear hubs. But really that is overboard and not really a while you are in there thing unless your wheel bearings need replacement, which is what I plan on waiting for. Then i'd probably do the front also. Again real no need to, other than they look cool and M14 hardware is stronger for track stuff.

[iClick image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	203784

Comment

Working...
        X