Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find new/rebuilt steering rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find new/rebuilt steering rack?

Trying to get a new or rebuilt rack by early June. Tried to get a brand new one but they're out of stock everywhere and ETAs keep getting pushed back (now late June). Rack Doctor's e-store seems to be down and recent reviews suggest they've gone downhill. Some vendors (e.g. FCP Euro) list remans, but they're all either out of stock or >$3k.

​Anyone have any leads?
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

I would get a used rack. Don't think its common for racks to have issues. Couldn't find a seal kit that's available, I'm sure someone will sell one at some point. I replaced the pinion seal on my E46 rack, it is still holding up!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      I would get a used rack. Don't think its common for racks to have issues. Couldn't find a seal kit that's available, I'm sure someone will sell one at some point. I replaced the pinion seal on my E46 rack, it is still holding up!
      Yeah, fair point. Looks like used racks are going for $500-$600 all day on eBay.

I agree that these racks seem to be really robust. The wild card is provenance. BMW has an SIB that says the rack should be replaced if there's any damage to the front suspension, and there's no way to know about that from a sale listing (it's too easily faked or erroneous). For this project I really want to minimize the odds of having to repeat the work, so that scares me a little.
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
        Yeah, fair point. Looks like used racks are going for $500-$600 all day on eBay.

I agree that these racks seem to be really robust. The wild card is provenance. BMW has an SIB that says the rack should be replaced if there's any damage to the front suspension, and there's no way to know about that from a sale listing (it's too easily faked or erroneous). For this project I really want to minimize the odds of having to repeat the work, so that scares me a little.
        Yeah but it depends. More of an issue with electric racks.

Comment

If only the input shaft seal is leaking, I think I saw somewhere that the seal can be found and replaced.

But if you need a full rebuild, I am unsure of those parts.

Comment

Definitely avoid rackdoctor. I had to dispute through PayPal to get my core charge back.

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post
              If only the input shaft seal is leaking, I think I saw somewhere that the seal can be found and replaced.

But if you need a full rebuild, I am unsure of those parts.
              Def. wanted a full rebuild/replacement. Not having any leaks AFAICT; just some play, plus the tie rods are all original AFAIK, plus want the excuse for a partial front-end refresh.
              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                Definitely avoid rackdoctor. I had to dispute through PayPal to get my core charge back.
                Sorry to hear that, man. Damn shame how common these stories have become.
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

I put a Maval in an E90 M3 a few years ago, seemed ok.

At MAVAL, we go beyond what is required to make a superior steering product with an unwavering commitment to excellence.
                  '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                  Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                  Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                  X