~80 mph front end vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~80 mph front end vibration

Been reading up on this issue and haven't found a consensus yet, but I'm happy to be corrected on that. Either way, would love some input.

I'm having this apparently infamous problem now. I'm on 219Ms with Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss. Just came back from having the front tires rebalanced and rear tires replaced. The vibration is better now, but still not gone. It also seems to have moved up the speed range a bit; it used to ramp up and down as I accelerated from 70 to 90, but now it doesn't come in until closer to 80.

Obvious suspect is wheel/tire balance or runout, especially because my winter set (397s with spacers and narrower tires) doesn't seem to have this issue.

I question that not only because the fronts have been rebalanced twice now, but mainly because the vibration comes and goes with little discernible pattern. It could be fine for a while, and then something will get it started, and it won't stop until I leave the critical speed range; next time I re-enter that speed range, maybe it'll come back or maybe it won't.

To me, that seems more like an undamped resonance than an unbalanced wheel. If it were a wheel, would I get the vibration reliably at the same speed regardless of conditions? Could the problem instead be worn bushings or dampers or something? (all original on my car with 106k miles) Maybe the reason it doesn't happen with my winter wheels is that their sizes, weights, and other characteristics are different.

Another thing that makes me suspect suspension: It seems to be a bit better after the car has been in the air. 🤷‍♂️

For reasons I think are obvious, I'm hoping to check as much as I can in my garage before throwing techs or parts at it. Things I plan to check:

- Ball joints
    - Tension arm bushings (kind of hoping it's these so I have an excuse to go monoball)
    - Any other potential source of play

Anything else I should look at before taking it to a shop? Any guidance would be appreciated!
    Last edited by IamFODI; 05-06-2020, 07:05 PM.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Ă–hlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

I had a very similar symptoms on my 335i and it was a bent rim. I moved it to the rear for time being and steering wheel stopped vibrating, but you can feel it the back of the car. Btw if found on the interbed that regular e90s develop a play in the shaft/lower steering coupling attachments, do not know if it applies to Ms.

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
      I had a very similar symptoms on my 335i and it was a bent rim. I moved it to the rear for time being and steering wheel stopped vibrating, but you can feel it the back of the car. Btw if found on the interbed that regular e90s develop a play in the shaft/lower steering coupling attachments, do not know if it applies to Ms.
      Was yours better sometimes and worse other times? To the best of my recollection, when I’ve had vibration due to wheel or tire issues, they’ve been pretty consistent.
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

It surprisingly actually was. I think it was due to rad surface/tracks... maybe? It was easier for me as all my suspension is brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
          It surprisingly actually was. I think it was due to rad surface/tracks... maybe? It was easier for me as all my suspension is brand new.
          Weird. I don’t understand that, but what do I know...

Thanks for the feedback.
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Could be a slight bend.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Sometimes you have to point it out when you get wheels balanced to check for bends. Otherwise they just zoombie thru it.

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post
              Could be a slight bend.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Sometimes you have to point it out when you get wheels balanced to check for bends. Otherwise they just zoombie thru it.
              exactly what happened to me.

Comment

Thanks again, guys.

My pro says both front wheels seem straight. To be continued...
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Had the front tires road force balanced today. Apparently they measured around 12 and 14 lbs to start. The tech got them both down to 6-7 or thereabouts. The problem seems fixed for now. If there is any vibration left, I can’t distinguish it from road feedback.

rbg, your comment about your vibration getting better and worse at different times was what tipped me back toward looking at the wheels and tires rather than the suspension. My wallet thanks you!
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                    Had the front tires road force balanced today. Apparently they measured around 12 and 14 lbs to start. The tech got them both down to 6-7 or thereabouts. The problem seems fixed for now. If there is any vibration left, I can’t distinguish it from road feedback.

rbg, your comment about your vibration getting better and worse at different times was what tipped me back toward looking at the wheels and tires rather than the suspension. My wallet thanks you!
                    Really glad you figured it out! You are welcome, thats why we are here for :-)

Comment

Glad you fixed the issue! In the future for other people reading this thread, I recommend checking your guibo (driveshaft flex disk) because in my case I had all new bushings, coils and new wheels and tires... still had the wobble.. ended up being premature failure of the guibo.

Comment

Originally posted by pb_e46 View Post
                        Glad you fixed the issue! In the future for other people reading this thread, I recommend checking your guibo (driveshaft flex disk) because in my case I had all new bushings, coils and new wheels and tires... still had the wobble.. ended up being premature failure of the guibo.
                        Been thinking it might be useful to compile a collection of cases with exact symptoms and what has worked for people.
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

I had a vibration around 65mph on and off specially with change in temp and sometimes it would disappear after being in the air but would come back the next day. I couldn’t find anyone local to road force and end up getting new tires all around. (Still had good thread on the old tires but couldn’t pass on the special they had for the new ones) Problem went away. After carefully inspecting the old tires they had an unusual wear pattern in some spots.
                          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Update on my car: the vibration was definitely not gone; just reduced to a level at which I could ignore it.

I recently replaced my front tension arms with new Syncro Design Works monoball-converted TRW arms. Now it seems gone. FWIW
                            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Working...
                            X