Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subframe can shift upward w/ solid aluminum subframe bushings??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe can shift upward w/ solid aluminum subframe bushings??

Most solid aluminum subframe bushings are 1-piece cylinders with flanges on one end but not the other. Pretty sure the flanges end up on the bottom in most cases. I've heard it said that these designs can allow the subframe to shift vertically. Has anyone experienced this, or even heard of it?
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
    Most solid aluminum subframe bushings are 1-piece cylinders with flanges on one end but not the other. Pretty sure the flanges end up on the bottom in most cases. I've heard it said that these designs can allow the subframe to shift vertically. Has anyone experienced this, or even heard of it?
    I did have an issue with poly subframe bushings on the E46 330. A space between the bushing and body developed over time to the point where it was a noticeable gap. Its a known issue with Powerflex crap. Haven't ever heard of this issue with a solid or OE bushing.

Comment

From the bushings i've seen, it is not possible for the subframe to shift, it is sandwiched between the washer the bolt, subframe and body.

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post
        From the bushings i've seen, it is not possible for the subframe to shift, it is sandwiched between the washer the bolt, subframe and body.
        Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here...

I think the argument is that the 1-piece solid aluminum mounts press in with the flanges below the subframe, leaving a little gap between the subframe and the body; so, theoretically, the subframe would be prevented from shifting downward by the flanges, but there's nothing but the interference fit stopping it from shifting upward, at least a little bit. IDK.

Either way, I feel like, if this were at all possible, companies like Bimmerworld and TMS/ECS wouldn't still be making their mounts that way after all these years. Seems far more likely that the people I heard this from are wrong.
        Last edited by IamFODI; 06-12-2023, 04:42 PM.
        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
        X