Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroker build

After much internal pondering, we’ve decided to post this for the betterment of humanity

There continues to be a lot of debate whether stroking an S65 is ‘worth it’.
    For us, a NA engine’s response, intake sound and power delivery are always worth it, but it’s also clear that previous strokers were not really moving the envelope in terms of max power.
    We absolutely know there are cheaper ways to get more hp, but not ones that sound quite as good (queue Karbonius intake) or (hopefully) can withstand 1h back-to-back sessions at the top 10% of the pace at the event.
    Hopefully this is a constructive thread. Please note we’re not engine builders or involved at all in buying/selling of car stuff

Backstory:
    We use our E90 as a streetable track car, it primarily sees double duty at HPDE’s. Last year the engine blew up (long story here), and after considering our options we decided to go for a stroker build. This is the pinnacle of M engines and making it better is a very attractive proposal!

Base – stock car (pulleys only): 371whp

After adding the following components, we got up to 412 whp:

Bimmerworld tri-y stepped headers
    Bimmerworld Xpipe, fully catless
    Karbonius intake, Dinan filter
    284 Schrick cams
    Rk dyno tune
    93 octane

Finally we can get to the purpose of this thread: the stroker! Build and test details (adding onto 412 configuration):

Tuner:
    Jordan @ RK Tunes

Fuel:
    Regular 93 pump

Stock ECU - no standalones, thank you very much
    292 Schrick cams (maintains full VANOS)
    4.6L
    stock compression ratio
    93 octane
    Same dyno as the 412whp result

Here are the results:

Here is the car and engine bay in all its glory

Many thanks to:

Izzy we would not have gone so deep into the dark end without your help. Incredible build!
    Corry you are the Mozart of engine building
    Jordan @ RKtunes, there is so much talk about tuner this and tuner that, but you are the real deal!
    Phil @ Bimmerworld for his consistently great advice on building a streetable track car
    David and Ana @ Karbonius for building this great intake (such glorious music!)
    Robert for paving the way for all the cool S65 builds
    Arne @ Schrick for the breakthrough info that 292 cams can mantain VANOS in the S65

Updated the graph of the different states of tunes vs the Alekshop engine, here it is

Bear in mind all the dynos are in STD vs my stroker which is SAE. SAE which reads lower. The day I get a dynojet we can compare both of them on the same graph done properly, but this is interesting meanwhile

Conclusions:
    From 5500 to +8000 this stroker makes way more whp than the Alekshop. It is clear that between the internals and the 292 cams/headers/Karbonius airbox the car has more hp pretty much everywhere.
    If you look at whp average from 7000 to 8000 this is at least as powerful as a 595 supercharger kit

Comment

Here's a video of the car in action

Comment

Awesome! We're big fans of the S65 in both NA and FI forms, but NA Stroked is special, especially with the carbon airbox. 👍
        IND DISTRIBUTION | 847-963-4520 • INSTAGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKR

Comment

Awesome build!

Comment

Yes, excellent build.

SYT, out of curiosity, how much do the new internals weigh vs. stock?
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
            Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
            Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
              Yes, excellent build.

SYT, out of curiosity, how much do the new internals weigh vs. stock?
              if i remember correctly, the rods/pistons are lighter but the crank is heavier due to the increased stroke.

In the next month I should be able to get a proper dynojet reading and I'll post it up here

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

if i remember correctly, the rods/pistons are lighter but the crank is heavier due to the increased stroke.

In the next month I should be able to get a proper dynojet reading and I'll post it up here
                I'm looking forward to that!

Please try to get an SAE plot.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

SYT_Shadow, I'm curious to know A) did this require engine removal and B) would you mind guestimating the cost over a road bearing job...would it be 5k, 10k, 15k, more?

In for the Dynojet results!

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatemj View Post
                    SYT_Shadow, I'm curious to know A) did this require engine removal and B) would you mind guestimating the cost over a road bearing job...would it be 5k, 10k, 15k, more?
                    This is basically a full engine rebuild with custom parts. Crankshaft, rods, pistons, and cams are all new, which means so are the piston rings, all the related bearings, anything else that might be considered a wear part or sensible while-you're-in-there upgrade, and a shitload of incidentals (gaskets, one-time-use bolts, etc.). Can't imagine doing something like this with the engine in the car, and the cost will make a rod bearing job look like an oil change.
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

A 4.6L stroker requires an over bore, it's and engine out job for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatemj View Post

In for the Dynojet results!
                        Sorry I missed this post

A rod bearing job should be around 3k including proper BE bearings, BE-ARP bolts and new engine mounts.

A stroker engine is at least $30k. Think that just to remove the engine and put the stroker back in plus gaskets/oil/etc is 5k.

Supporting mods are also hugely expensive, like cams/headers/intake

Comment

Working...
                        X