Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Steering wheel spacer for OE wheel
Collapse
X
-
This is great! I tested one a few years ago that was 2.5" (63mm) long and it was just too much for me.
Big thread here with install pics from myself and the other guy that tested it.
If this one is 20mm less than the one I tried then that might be the ticket!
Edit: just noticed this was the e90 section but whatever same part same result
Edit II: I see now that it's the same guy that sent me one for testing years ago I'll reach out to see if he changed anythingLast edited by ZHPizza; 03-13-2021, 04:36 AM.
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Well, it's in. BLUF: 9/10 mod. Minor gripes but well worth it. Wish I had had this a long time ago.
Before:
After:
The spacer itself is 42mm deep; I think it might add a mm or two more than that because the gap behind it looks slightly bigger than before.
I'm sure the distance between the wheel and the stalks will annoy some. It's a big asset for me because I've wanted to break my habit of using them without taking my hands off the wheel.
Obligatory weighing:
Not gonna do a full DIY as there are plenty of steering wheel DIYs out there. However, I do want to highlight a couple of tips/issues.
For the install, I found it easier to connect the wire extensions to the clockspring first, then install the spacer onto the steering wheel, and then mount the wheel while threading the extensions into it. Result should look something like this:
(The above shows both wiring extensions, one for the steering wheel buttons and one for shift paddles, the latter of which I don't have).
Without the main bolt in place, the amount of play in the assembly is far more than without the spacer. Not sure what that means, if anything. Fortunately, the bolt takes all that play out.
The included bolt has a 22 mm head, which is bigger than what comes off the car.
Turns out my "famous last words" worry was correct. This wire (circled below)...
...was not long enough to allow the airbag connector to reach the clockspring through the spacer. I've emailed the manufacturer about this. In the meantime, I (reversibly) extended the wire for now. Will be seeking a better solution, or at least a better implementation of my extension.
Result: I finally have my steering wheel position more-or-less where I want it. It's so much nicer to use now, and that niceness is multiplied by how important steering is to the experience of a car. For anyone driving with more arm reach than they'd prefer, I strongly recommend this mod.Last edited by IamFODI; 03-18-2021, 10:49 AM.
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Looks like a decent piece. Wiring extensions for everything but the airbag, which supposedly has enough slack stock. That last part sounds like famous last words, but I've heard good things about this guy. Hoping to install soon.
Leave a comment:
-
Turns out the guy who makes these is an E46 guy. Also found out a friend of mine has one of these for his truck and likes it.
Looks like a good piece. Will post my review whenever it gets here (no ETA yet).
Leave a comment:
-
Right??Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View PostOh wow, that looks so interesting. Never thought someone made something like this
I could use one, like yesterday. Just concerned because the steering column is safety critical, so I'm hesitant to use parts without a known rep. Also wondering if there might be implications for airbag deployment; isn't it timed according to seat position?
Leave a comment:
-
Oh wow, that looks so interesting. Never thought someone made something like this
Leave a comment:
-
Steering wheel spacer for OE wheel
Anyone ever use this, or something like it? Strongly considering buying one.https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/e...0956#post90956
https://www.spacershop.com/prodotto/...w-serie-3-e90/
EDIT: Installed! https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/e...1152#post91152Last edited by IamFODI; 03-13-2021, 06:40 AM.Tags: None

Leave a comment: