X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyno Database | BMW E9X M3

Dyno Database | BMW E9X M3
    A dynamometer is such a critical tool in not just measuring power/torque, but it helps us evaluate the condition of a vehicle, diagnostics, data logging, and the changes of modifications. On a regular basis, we dyno test a lot of different vehicles. We'd love to use this thread to share all of the dyno data we acquire, specifically for the BMW E9X M3 and S65 platform! Hopefully we can use this as an avenue to exchange ideas on the most optimal dyno methods, as well as, sharing feedback on the various stages everyone's builds are at.

We are looking forward to sharing our findings and seeing many of your results! So post away!

Vehicle: 2009 BMW E90 M3
    Transmission: DCT
    Modifications: Stock
    Fuel: 93oct
    Dyno: DynoJet 248x

Best Run

Worst vs Best Run

Worst vs Best Run - Data Logs

Analysis
    I really wanted to start this thread to depict, not just what we typically see of a healthy stock E90 M3, but more so to depict the range between the worst and best run. When doing any type of dyno testing, it is so crucial to do numerous runs to allow the ECU to hit optimal targets, get the car warmed up, and to have more data to choose from. Unfortunately, we have seen way too many companies manipulate advertised dyno data by choosing the worst baseline run to compare with the best post-modification run. Our goal is to be transparent with everyone in what we post.

Notice how in the blue run, AFRs are richer, ignition is lower, and intake air temps are slightly less stable. The AFR and ignition targets are two pieces of evidence to explain the drastic difference in power. No other changes to the vehicle made other than assuring the vehicle reaches optimal targets with good airflow on the dyno.

Here is a screenshot of one of the many Ignition Target vs Manifold Pressure (Load) vs RPM Maps in the ECU.

Between 6500 to RPM Limit, at 90-100 load, the ECU targets between 28.6-31.4º Ignition.
    Notice how the blue run hit as low as 25º and was a few degrees below the red run until redline, where it just hit 31.
    Notice how the red run hit consistently between 29-31.4º Ignition, just as the ECU called to target.

Here is a screenshot of one of the Lambda (AFR) vs RPM Maps in the ECU. Lambda x 14.7 = AFR for Gasoline.

Between 6000 to RPM Limit, the ECU targets 12.9:1 down to 12.5:1.
    Notice how the blue runs a bit richer, hitting 12.9:1 down to 12.2:1.
    Notice how the red runs optimally, meeting 13.0:1 down to 12.5:1.

I hope this shares some insight on how crucial it is to get sufficient cool air flow to the vehicle during a dyno run, evacuating poor quality air, and most importantly, data logging more parameters beyond horsepower and torque.
    Performance Eurowerks

2013 e92 M3 ZCP
    Turner Test Pipes
    Dinan Intake
    Dinan Muffler

371rwhp / 270rwtrq STD on a Dynojet
    Last edited by MattMan; 03-22-2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I have a 08 E92 6mt, no cats, brola rear-end, intake, and pulley. This was a base line dnyo with out tune. My tunner was having odbi problems.

I know these engines are all the same, how much power and torque do you think is achievable?

Do you see anything that I don't in the picture?

Comment

2012 E92 M3 ZCP, DCT.

Prior owner mods: BMC air filter, VRSF Test pipes, ACM muffler mod, SMS(Solo Motor Sports) dyno tune
        Prior owner dyno:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2012E92M3_dyno.png Views:	0 Size:	326.9 KB ID:	2086

WHP Measured Projected
        Dyno Baseline WHP result 349.94 414.00 (BMW number)
        Dyno Post Tune 386.05 456.72
        Variance vs Baseline WHP 36.11 42.72

WTQ
        Dyno Baseline WTQ result 229.00 295.00 (BMW number)
        Dyno Post Tune WTQ result 262.00 337.51
        Variance vs Baseline WTQ 33.00 42.51

Since purchase, I swapped the test pipe/mid pipe out for a quad resonated Dinan pipe...and significantly lighter wheels...but no further measurements.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	E88s.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	2134
        Last edited by ultimatemj; 03-24-2020, 08:05 PM. Reason: Added car pic

Comment

• Watchbest
          Watchbest commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good, I see the Spike in torque and the it flat lines that a concern for me. Usually it peaks and then flat lines.
          Last edited by Watchbest; 03-25-2020, 05:44 AM.

This looks like it'll be of interest to a lot of people. Making it a sticky.
        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
        X