X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Taking a full read or backup of your DME using MSS6x Flasher

Taking a full DME read with MSS6x Flasher

I / we are not liable if you break your car by incorrectly flashing your ECU/DME. You do so at your own risk!

You will require the following:
    • A Windows laptop with .Net Framework 4.5 installed
    • A copy of MSS6x Flasher, available here
    • A copy of the MSS6x Flasher prerequisites, available here (not required if you have a working EDIABAS install)
    • All E9x M3s and 2008+ M5s will require a K+D-CAN cable that is flashed with the EdiabasLib firmware. Bimmergeeks sells preflashed cables for a reasonable price. Without this type of cable, a DME brick is guaranteed. 2006-2007 M5s should work with a standard K-line interface, however this has not been thoroughly tested.
    • A trickle charger that can supply 10A to your car whilst flashing. I use a CTEK MXS 10 (Recommended, but not always required if your battery is good).

Before proceeding any further, please pay attention to the FAQ on the MSS6x Flasher page

First things first, hook your car up to the trickle charger, and your laptop up to its charger.

Plug your OBD2 cable in to the laptop and to your vehicle. The OBD2 port is usually located by the drivers footwell, by the hood release.

Download MSS6x Flasher and extract it to a directory of your chosing.

Download the appropriate ECUWorx Binary Modification tool and extract it to a directory of your choosing.

Download the MSS6x prerequisits zip file and extract it to the root of your C:\ drive.

The zip file should then create the following directory structure:

Now open up Windows ‘Device Manager’, this can be accessed via ‘Control Pane’ > ‘Hardware and Sound’ > ‘Device Manager’ or by clicking ‘Start’ then typing ‘devmgmt.msc’.

Once in ‘Device Manager’ locate the ‘Ports (COM & LPT) section and expand it out. Check to see what COM port your USB diagnostic cable has adopted. In the screenshot below mine had adopted COM5.

Your COM port number may differ from mine.

We must now change the COM port used by the USB diagnostic cable to COM1, we must also change the latency settings.

Double click your USB Serial Port, then click the ‘Port Settings’ tab, then the ‘Advanced…’ button.

Change the ‘COM Port Number’ to ‘COM1’ via the drop down, and then change the ‘Latency Timer (msec)’ to 1, as per below.

Once the COM Port Number and Latency Timer are set click ‘OK’, if you receive a warning regarding the name being used by another device ensure you have no other devices using COM1 and then click ‘Yes’, followed by ‘OK’.

Close Device Manager.

Place the key in the ignition and press start but do not start the vehicle. Turn off your lights, heater, radio etc to minimise the current drawn whilst reading/writing to the DME.

Load up ‘MSS6x Flasher’ and click ‘Identify DME’

MSS6x Flasher should return the DME Type, VIN, HW Reference, Program Version, Software Version and DME Status.

If it returns ‘Unknown / Unsupported’ then please double check you have completed all of the above steps correctly.

If all is identified correctly then proceed to click ‘Read Full Flash’.

The ‘Full Flash’ read will take around 45-60 mins.

Once the read completes an explorer window will pop up with your full read.

The tool will also return to its idle state:

At this stage, I would also recommend that you backup your ISN/Secret key in case your DME becomes corrupt at any stage.

To perform the ISN/Secrete key backup simply click ‘Advanced’ > ‘Read ISN / Secret Key’.

Your ISN / Secret key will be saved in the same location as your DME reads.

Turn your ignition off and remove the OBD2 cable from the diagnostic port.

If you have an e9x M3 you will be to use the ‘Flash RSA Bypass’ option, as per the MSS6x Flasher FAQ.

Once the flash completes, you will need to cycle the ignition to clear any codes / warnings left on your dash.

Awesome, thanks for the guide!

Comment

Hi,
      I open the attachment on the original post, and only a png file opens. Any direct link available for download?

Comment

https://nam3forum.com/forums/filedat...0&d=1587308945 works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
          If you have an e9x M3 you will be to use the ‘Flash RSA Bypass’ option, as per the MSS6x Flasher FAQ.
          Just question on this part, if I am only doing a full read.

I don't need to do the RSA bypass as yet correct?
          That is only needed when I am ready to flash a modified file correct?

Also since the full read takes a long time, other than a charger, does anything need to be done to keep the IGN On? I assume it won't fall back asleep at some point. But wanted to check.
          Last edited by tdott; 10-27-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Yeah that’s right.

Even after the dash has gone to sleep it will continue to read the ecu correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
              Yeah that’s right.

Even after the dash has gone to sleep it will continue to read the ecu correctly.
              Awesome, thanks.
              My full read took 75minutes.
              Using the Bimmergeek Expert cable.

Comment

Stickied!
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Hello everyone, I would like to know one thing about the mss60 I made a full copy that I modified but I did not calculate it rsa I can do it with the full modify then put the full modify or I have to do it with the full origin and redo all the modification on the full origin thank you I do not want to brick the mss60 m3 with 130th update thank you

Comment

So generally what I do is take the full read, once complete, load that full read and do the RSA bypass. Once the RSA bypass is complete, I then load the modified full read, then just do flash tune.

Comment

ok I thank you for the answer I but the full modify after having loaded the rsa bypass with the full origin no need to redo the rsa bypass with the full modify even if it was done before the rsa bypass thank you

Comment

Once you've done the RSA bypass with the full original flash there is no need to do the RSA bypass again.

Comment

ah ok if I understand correctly I load the full original then bypass rsa then I can flash my full modify even if I modified the full before the bypass rsa because I saw that after the bypass rsa the file is no longer the same by reading d after certain thank you for your answers

Comment

hello I tried to make the RSA bypass it didn't work with the complete read I did a complete read again load the complete file for the rsa bypass the same always the same non stock binary error thank you

Comment

Are you sure your ECU is stock?

Comment

Working...
                              X