X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repoman89
    replied
    Originally posted by dr_011 View Post

Sorry, just expressing a fact. Good luck to you and yours.
    Thanks! I’m about to add a second place in the beautiful white mountains a couple hours north. No wildfires or earthquakes and plentiful water for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• keljos
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

300% up in 4 years and you think there’s no bubble?

I think you may have a rude awakening in your future.
    As someone else that works in finance, this was my exact reaction.

Leave a comment:

• repoman89
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Don’t worry he’s good if it drops to 200%. Meanwhile a simple S&P500 index fund with dividends reinvested would have also doubled in the last four years — without paying insurance, bank interest or property taxes.

I repeat — your home is not a good investment lol. It’s a place to live, and it’s more a liability than an asset.

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied

only 43% in 5 years?? dang that sucks. i'm up 300% in less than 4 years. like i've always said, west coast = best coast. there is no "bubble" here, maybe on the Least coast, but not here. good luck hustling for equity.

Leave a comment:

• sliqwille
    replied
    Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I don't think they understand the competition out here. We're not talking about people over extending themselves to get in. There are millennials/gen z with high incomes out here.

Here's a good example. You'd never really reduce the amount of rooms a house has, a big no-no. Yet, flippers are starting to do so out here and make larger, open living spaces with modern features to attract the high earning young people who don't have kids or only have 1 kid.

I work with a lot of LA/ SoCal residents in my industry. It blows my mind what real estate is doing there. Barring COVID 2.0 and the Fed keeping rates down (taking short term inflation out of the equation) the trend does seem to keep climbing. I came through the wrong side of 08/09 so now I tend to err on the conservative side of risk v/ reward.

If Atlanta even follows an exponential behind, sooooo gonna have my dream M collection.

Leave a comment:

• dr_011
    replied
    Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Lol this is so lame, what a child
    Sorry, just expressing a fact. Good luck to you and yours.

Leave a comment:

• dr_011
    replied
    Originally posted by sliqwille View Post
    This is in no way financial advice but if I’m up 300% on any investment, I would have a bulletproof exit strategy and/ or hedge the crap out of it. Things can only keep going up for so long (short to midterm) before a price correction is inevitable.
    ok, even if it drops
    to 200% I'm still
    good

Leave a comment:

• stephen
    replied
    Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    I really hate how much these cars have gone up in value. I bought mine because I like to drive it and not to keep in storage waiting for it to appreciate.

These rising values only make me want to take the car out on the streets less, cause I know it will be really hard to replace if someone messes it up.

​​​​​​An agreed value insurance policy would be ideal, but no one wants to offer me one of those policies without a daily driver. For some reason, no insurance company understands that I don't need this car to live my life and I truly only drive it for pleasure.
    I have agreed upon value insurance through State Farm and I don’t recall them ever mentioning anything to me about mileage or needing a second car. All I had to do was give them a copy of an appraisal.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_P
    replied
    Cars and housing are both pretty terrible investments relative to other vehicles like the stock market, even if they do appreciate. My E46 is worth probably nearly twice what I paid seven years ago … but even ignoring insurance and maintenance I would have made way more elsewhere. Luckily that’s not why I bought it. Similarly my house is worth a good bit more than I paid even two years ago, but it doesn’t really matter … I live here and if I sold I’d just have to buy another. Plus insurance and maintenance on that too.
    ^This! I work in finance…manage money for a living and 100% agree with the above statement.

Just enjoy your cars. If you are looking for an “investment “ go open a brokerage account or find a Financial Advisor and you’ll make a lot more money that way.

Leave a comment:

• repoman89
    replied
    Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Woah woah, please clarify if you're speaking of rental/commercial properties or a home. Homes are not investments (financially). Rentals/commercial are FANTASTIC investments.
    I’m referring to a regular primary home which way too many people see as an investment. I have no knowledge of rental/commercial except that I know it’s way too much work for me personally and I can probably do better keeping my regular job and index funds / stock options

Leave a comment:

• cobra
    replied
    This is in no way financial advice but if I’m up 300% on any investment, I would have a bulletproof exit strategy and/ or hedge the crap out of it. Things can only keep going up for so long (short to midterm) before a price correction is inevitable.
    Nuh uh.. stocks only go up!!! Hehe.

Seems I sorta derailed this thread with the investment comment haha. Very interesting perspectives though.

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    Cars and housing are both pretty terrible investments
    Woah woah, please clarify if you're speaking of rental/commercial properties or a home. Homes are not investments (financially). Rentals/commercial are FANTASTIC investments.

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    I don't think they understand the competition out here. We're not talking about people over extending themselves to get in. There are millennials/gen z with high incomes out here.

Here's a good example. You'd never really reduce the amount of rooms a house has, a big no-no. Yet, flippers are starting to do so out here and make larger, open living spaces with modern features to attract the high earning young people who don't have kids or only have 1 kid.

Leave a comment:

• repoman89
    replied
    Cars and housing are both pretty terrible investments relative to other vehicles like the stock market, even if they do appreciate. My E46 is worth probably nearly twice what I paid seven years ago … but even ignoring insurance and maintenance I would have made way more elsewhere. Luckily that’s not why I bought it. Similarly my house is worth a good bit more than I paid even two years ago, but it doesn’t really matter … I live here and if I sold I’d just have to buy another. Plus insurance and maintenance on that too.

It does make me question driving and tracking it at 44k miles, which as I’ve said in other threads annoys me. I usually just drive my Miata even though I actually paid more for that (new) and it’s actually a fine substitute and maybe even more fun on public roads, except for that carbon airbox roar.

My E39 M5 probably has to go at some point, I don’t really have a great use for that and it’s rapidly getting too valuable to actually use. Especially since it’s only okay compared to the Miata and E46, and we have a CX5 if we really need a big car. The interior in the M5 with full heritage leather is glorious though, probably half the reason I still have it.
    Last edited by repoman89; 07-22-2021, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• repoman89
    replied

only 43% in 5 years?? dang that sucks. i'm up 300% in less than 4 years. like i've always said, west coast = best coast. there is no "bubble" here, maybe on the Least coast, but not here. good luck hustling for equity.
    Lol this is so lame, what a child

Leave a comment:

Working...
X