X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELEM3NT
    replied
    Originally posted by dr_011 View Post

really? you must not live in a desirable location then (PA I presume). low supply, high demand, and cheap mortgage rate ensures housing will be hot for some time. here, at least.
    A good friend works in the industry and believes there's a good number of people that are going to be forced off of forbearance. That, coupled with (potentially) increasing rates could definitely cool the market. But right now it's just nuts watching the bidding wars in our neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• S3diment
    replied
    Chris Harris whom I really admire says that he often buys duplicates of cars he really loves. One to drive and the other to steal parts off of. I wish that was the case for these cars at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• dr_011
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    I don't think the stock market or real estate are particularly sound bets at the moment
    really? you must not live in a desirable location then (PA I presume). low supply, high demand, and cheap mortgage rate ensures housing will be hot for some time. here, at least.

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by cobra View Post
    I also can't stand Doug, but I think he's right.

I've had my E46 since 2009. Back then, it was still a relatively recent model and car guys would admire it in passing. As time went on it got less special and I started seeing more younger people driving them, modding them heavily. No one would even bat an eye if you parked one at a car meet. In the past year alone, I've gotten over a dozen compliments on it from strangers telling me they love it or miss their old E46's. It's my opinion that with the advent of the sterile electric vehicle and all the new funky designs (looking at you 4-series!), that people are starting to appreciate the golden-era of cars (early 2000's). Just the right balance of raw driving experience and technology.

Big picture though...if you are really looking to increase the value of money then the stock market and real estate are better bets lol. Buy an E46 M3 to drive it, not park it in a garage!
    I don't think the stock market or real estate are particularly sound bets at the moment

Leave a comment:

• jet_dogg
    replied
    He's just stating the obvious and what has already been discussed, no new real revelations.

Agreed though, back in 03 I had strangers following me and paying compliments all the time as well as females. As the car got a few years old nobody looked at it anymore. It's reassuring that people are finally realizing what a classic it truly is. I can't say I'm surprised, the e46 was all the hype back then and not many cars under 100k garnered the appreciation they did. It's actually good to see it return to glory and stay there.

Leave a comment:

• cobra
    replied
    I also can't stand Doug, but I think he's right.

I've had my E46 since 2009. Back then, it was still a relatively recent model and car guys would admire it in passing. As time went on it got less special and I started seeing more younger people driving them, modding them heavily. No one would even bat an eye if you parked one at a car meet. In the past year alone, I've gotten over a dozen compliments on it from strangers telling me they love it or miss their old E46's. It's my opinion that with the advent of the sterile electric vehicle and all the new funky designs (looking at you 4-series!), that people are starting to appreciate the golden-era of cars (early 2000's). Just the right balance of raw driving experience and technology.

Big picture though...if you are really looking to increase the value of money then the stock market and real estate are better bets lol. Buy an E46 M3 to drive it, not park it in a garage!

Leave a comment:

• big greasy taco
    replied
    Cant say I disagree with Doug on this one... I dont think we are too far off from seeing blue chip examples trading over $100k (Hell, UDrive already has one...)

Leave a comment:

• Epsilon
    replied
    Every enthusiast car has gone up in value, not just ours.

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    More reason to get better insurance (stated value, and up it every year). Not that we haven't beaten that horse...

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied
    You can continue to drive it as values go up. If you crash, it's just more likely to get repaired (or you'll get a higher pay out).

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    Buy a second one

Leave a comment:

• yhp2009
    replied
    Originally posted by usdmej View Post

especially a car that's main selling point was being able to DD

i can understand keeping a GT3 as a garage queen that you tow to track days to keep the mileage down but exactly what appeal is there in owning an M3 kept stock and not driven often?

I guess its hard for us to imagine it since we are living thru the "transitional" time where the e46 m3 goes from a usable car to a classic collector item. But I would wager that a few decades from now many would see us as the odd ones lol. But still i dont care imma drive my m3

Leave a comment:

• jet_dogg
    replied
    Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    I bought mine because I like to drive it and not to keep in storage waiting for it to appreciate.
    Nobody until recently has bought an e46 m3 as an investment tool.

PS. I can't stand demuro.

Leave a comment:

• usdmej
    replied
    Originally posted by dr_011 View Post

seems so boring to me to use a car as an investment.
    especially a car that's main selling point was being able to DD

i can understand keeping a GT3 as a garage queen that you tow to track days to keep the mileage down but exactly what appeal is there in owning an M3 kept stock and not driven often?

Leave a comment:

• heinzboehmer
    replied
    I really hate how much these cars have gone up in value. I bought mine because I like to drive it and not to keep in storage waiting for it to appreciate.

These rising values only make me want to take the car out on the streets less, cause I know it will be really hard to replace if someone messes it up.

​​​​​​An agreed value insurance policy would be ideal, but no one wants to offer me one of those policies without a daily driver. For some reason, no insurance company understands that I don't need this car to live my life and I truly only drive it for pleasure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X