Rear dif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear dif

New to forums and just picked up an e46 m3. I was doing research and hear some rubbing sound on the driver side. I know for a fact that tires are not rubbing and the shocks are still good. I changed the rear diff fluid and did some eights around the neighborhood and still hear it. Any idea what could be causing the noise?

Does it sound like tires rubbing or closer to the center of rotation? Could be wheel bearing, could be diff oil, could be loose fender liner, could be worn brake pads or rotors. Could be unrelated to the wheel and be bad shock mounts, cracked subframe, bad diff bushings or RTABs.

maybe you have a nail in your tire

Comment

Mine (diff) sometimes makes noise when cold and not driven in a while, on certain turns. Goes away shortly when warmed up. I've owned it since new and its always done it despite correct fulid changes incl 1200mi change. I can tell you when it makes the noise, its like a low rumble wrump...wrump....wrump with a slight pause in between noises, and it clearly is from the back of the car. I don't recall if I could tell the left or right side.
      2006 M3 ZCP 6spd slicktop AW/Imola (orig owner)
      1997 328iC Individual
      1975 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300
      1959 Land Rover Series 2
      2013 MB GLK350 (wife’s)

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I think the issue resolved itself from driving the car after changing diff fluid. Prior owner was putting only 1-2k miles annually and it looks like the car didn’t like that.

Comment

Originally posted by E464life View Post
          New to forums and just picked up an e46 m3. I was doing research and hear some rubbing sound on the driver side. I know for a fact that tires are not rubbing and the shocks are still good. I changed the rear diff fluid and did some eights around the neighborhood and still hear it. Any idea what could be causing the noise?
          The noise only happens during a turn? This should not relate to tire rubbing.

It is normal for the diff to have some rubbing noise during a turn.

Comment

If you don’t use a diff oil with proper limited slip additive it can get a “rubbing” type of feel (sticking LS plate) on inside turns.
            Sounds like the lsd oil worked its way in after some turns so you’re ok. I found using the Genuine BMW LSD fluid for the diff really helped. If it acts up again you may wish to add an LS additive.
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 02-19-2024, 03:48 PM.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I've had that sound on my older vert, i replaced the diff fluid with a thicker viscosity one, and drove around in circles like an idiot till the nosie went away

Comment

You need enough friction modifiers to have clutches slip properly. Upgrade/replace diff fluid.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X