F8x question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F8x question....

Pondering what happens when (if?) I get tired of keeping my E46 M3 going. How user friendly is the wrenching on the F8x? Can you do your own oil changes, etc. without having the computer lock the steering and calling the BMW hit squad?

Thanks!

Never had an issue with basic maintenance. It has the same CBS system that you can reset intervals using the odometer button and cluster screen. It's definitely a lot more complex than E-chassis cars, especially since it's got two turbos and a metric fuckton of cooling. Look up some engine bay pics online, it's a tiiiiight fit.

Extremely fast cars though, especially on track.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

As long as i can do basic maintenance (oil changes, coolant changes, tranny & diff fluid, brakes, spark plugs, etc) I'd be happy!

Comment

Don't let the F8x chassis scare you, there are plenty of things you can do. The only annoying part of the oil change is that there is no dip stick, it's all computer controlled. These cars are so finicky too, a little over or a little under and the computer is going to be chiming you to correct it.

I've done a lot of maintenance on my previous F82 Comp. package, but so far my F82 CS is still under warranty. Once it ends though, I'll be under it for certain.

Comment

I've already done a fair amount of wrenching on the F8X gen, 6 suspension installs, diff fluid, spark plugs, oil, several bbk installs.

It works similarly to previous gen cars. They are all quite user friendly and can be worked on without any pixie dust or black magic

Comment

Hopefully this isn't a verboten question...but is software similar to INPA available for the F8X ?

Comment

Originally posted by M3Bob View Post
              Hopefully this isn't a verboten question...but is software similar to INPA available for the F8X ?
              Yup! You can code and do all the same stuff with the F8X gen yourself. I forget the name right now, Esys or something

Comment

Continuing my (likely annoying thread)....

For those of you that went from a 6MT E46 M3 to a 6MT M4, how is the shifting “feel”? Did bmw get rid of some of the slop, or is that just inherent to the brand? I’m suspecting the latter....

I’m trying to figure out 6MT vs DCT, and given that I’m not seeing a lot of used M4s to test drive don’t want to even bother checking out the 6MT if its the same shifting feel as the E46.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DCT is the rocket. i'm in love for many years with MT, but i always will choose DCT instead of MT.
                  if you grew up to f8x, grow up and for DCT also ;D

Comment

Originally posted by M3Bob View Post
                    Continuing my (likely annoying thread)....

For those of you that went from a 6MT E46 M3 to a 6MT M4, how is the shifting “feel”? Did bmw get rid of some of the slop, or is that just inherent to the brand? I’m suspecting the latter....

I’m trying to figure out 6MT vs DCT, and given that I’m not seeing a lot of used M4s to test drive don’t want to even bother checking out the 6MT if its the same shifting feel as the E46.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    With the autosolutions ssk you gain the same precision as the e46 or e9x generation. I find that is very good.

For street use i prefer 6mt, for track use dct for sure

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Yup! You can code and do all the same stuff with the F8X gen yourself. I forget the name right now, Esys or something
                      You mean "ISTA"?

Comment

Originally posted by E46_M3_ZCP View Post

You mean "ISTA"?
                        i mean Esys

Can't speak to ista and inpa on the f8x gen

Comment

Originally posted by E46_M3_ZCP View Post

You mean "ISTA"?
                          ISTA isn't available to the public. I'm 100% there are rips of it though

BMW oil changes are easy. The S55 is a fancy N55.

Get a vacuum filling system for coolant and you'll be fine. When doing coolant there's a way to fully bleed after vacuum bleeding the system. You turn the car on, press hazards and DRL at the same time. A/C must be on max heat, lowest setting, hold the gas pedal for 10 seconds, and the instrument cluster will say service function started. Then you start the car when you feel the rest of the air is out. I typically leave the cap off to check the expansion tank during the bleed.

There's nothing majorly special about working on this car. Microfilter is under the glovebox, air filters are in a unique spot but easy to get to, the brake system gets flushed like any other, the diff is a typical M diff service. I can't remember if there's an interval for the trans but there's literally a sticker on the rear passenger side that gives you the filling temps for the fluid.

If you have an electronic brake, you can use a basic scan tool with service function ability to put them in factory or install position before doing brakes.

It's intimidating until you get used to it. There's alot of crap in these cars but just come on here and ask questions if you have them. I'll do my best to get you an answer.
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                          X