Cornerbalanced's '03.5 TiAg E46 M3 Build || Daily, Canyon, Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornerbalanced's '03.5 TiAg E46 M3 Build || Daily, Canyon, Track

After a long succession of E9x M3s, I have finally re-entered the E46 M3 arena. Although I have had this car for a little while now, I'm just getting around to doing work on it now so figured I'd make a journal. I purchased the car from a gentleman in Phoenix, who had owned it since 2010. Along with this E46, he owned a Radical, Z8, and 991.2 GT3 RS. I flew to Phoenix to pick the car up and drove home the same day.

Modifications as of picking the car up:
    - Turner Motorsports solid engine mounts
    - OE Trailing Arm Bushings w/ Poly Limiters
    - OE Front Control Arm Bushings
    - TC Kline Double Adjustable coil-overs
    - Rouge engineering rear shock mounts (12mm)
    - Apex EC-7s 18x9.5+38 squared
    - Nitto NT01 275/35r18 squared
    - BimmerWorld brake ducting kit
    - Bembo GT front brake kit
    - GiroDisc rotors
    - OE CSL rear rotors
    - PFC front and rear pads
    - Eisenmann 'Race' Muffler/Section 3
    - AKG shifter & DSSR
    - Clutch masters lightweight flywheel, OE clutch
    - 'Coby' Alcantara steering wheel
    - OE Alcantara shift boot & e-brake boot
    - FMW custom weld-in cage
    - Recaro Pole Positions
    - Sparco harnesses

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9119.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	130513

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9175.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	331.5 KB ID:	130514

After actually starting to drive the car, disaster struck. While driving, one of the rear shock mounts exploded. This left me stranded on the side of the road with my passenger rear strut hanging loose. Not the end of the world, right? Well, I was actually in New Mexico at the time, on my way back to LA (I was supposed to leave the next day.) This happened on a Monday, and I was supposed to leave town the next day (Tuesday) so I could be back in town on Wednesday for a fairly important meeting. I didn't have many options. A) Fly home, leave the car at the airport and figure something out in the meantime, B) Take the car to a shop, have them try to figure things out (no performance shops in town mind you) or C) Remove the rear damper entirely so it didn't knock around, and limp the car ~700mi back home. For better or worse, I ultimately decided on option C.

The issue:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9222.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	130515

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, with only one rear damper:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9265.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	130517

Thankfully, I made it back into LA without any issues. To my surprise, the car did great with only one rear damper on the ride back. Just had to take extra care over bumps, as the car would tend to oversteer. Yikes. Now the car was back in LA, with all my shops...I had to make a decision, replace the rear shock mounts. Or replace the coil-overs altogether. I decided upon the latter, ordering a set of Ohlins dedicated track coil-overs as soon as I got back into town, along with some BimmerWorld rear camber arms, and BimmerWorld end links (all over-nighted, as this is my only real car at the moment!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cornerbalanced; 10-06-2021, 10:33 PM.

Entry 1:

A few days later, all of the parts arrived, and my shop, Strom Motorsports, was able to begin the install. Everything was fairly straightforward, except for the fact that my rear camber arm bearings were completely blown. Luckily they had a set in stock, so there was no additional downtime.

New modifications/Maintenace (10/6/2021):
    - Ohlins Dedicated Track coil-overs
    - Bimmerworld end links
    - Bimmerworld rear camber arms
    - Lemforder rear camber arm bushings
    - Oil change
    - Alignment
    - Cornerbalance

Camber arm bushings:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	df9c8d5f339c2bb74a60496e0f75752bbd8033da.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	130520

New alignment specs:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9369.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	130521

Cornerbalance / Weight specs (Note 180lbs of ballast in weight to account for driver), actual weight: 3,214lbs:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9370.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	130522

Finally picking the car up:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9363.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	130523

Thoroughly enjoying the Ohlins thus far. Even with 700/900lb springs, the ride isn't jarring in the slightest. I also cannot recommend Strom enough if you're in the SoCal area. Along with my caged E46, there were a plethora of other dedicated track cars including several E46s, E92s, an M4 GT4, an M2 CS Racing, etc. Lots of shops like to say they're 'race/track orientated'...not many shops participate in GT4, NASA, etc, and provide track-side support for their clients nearly every weekend.

Just before the first 'real' canyon run:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9371.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	89.0 KB ID:	130524

My overall impression thus far is that the steering is WAY too slow for my liking. I'll either do a ZHP rack, 350mm steering wheel, or both to combat this. I'd also like to swap the rear wheels out for some slightly more aggressive 18x9.5+22s, to avoid having to run 12mm rear spacers.

Future mod/maintenace list:
    - BimmerWorld engine mounts + Rodbearings(?)
    - E21 transmission mounts
    - BimmerWorld solid subframe bushings
    - OE diff bushings & diff bolts
    - ZHP steering rack
    - OMP 350mm steering wheel & hub adaptor
    - 2x Apex EC-7s 18x9.5+22 for rear
    - Remove tint
    - Replace A & C pillar trim
    - Radio delete panel + single-din center stack conversion
    - Rebuild rear-view mirror
    - PDR (2) dents on rear quarter panel, passenger
    Last edited by cornerbalanced; 10-06-2021, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Glad you made it home safely on one shock - makes for a good story in the future đŸ˜€

I recently did the ZHP rack and cannot recommend it enough. Good time to change your steering coupler and tie-rods as well!

Comment

Congratulation on the new ride and glad to hear that you got it home safely down a shock!

I just googled Strom Motorsports and looks like they are in the old Bullet Performance building? Bullet Performance had been my go-to shop for years until the owner decided to give me some attitudes one day - something about them doing me a favor for honoring their 2years warranty! Needless to say, they never got my business since and I've never been back to that complex. My wife's Audi S3 is out of factory warranty next week, so this is good timing in finding a repair shop for it. Plus, it's always good to have an alternative/backup to Lang Racing for my S54 works.

I'll keep an eye out for you roaming around OC? Wave if you see an Imola Z4MC!
        Last edited by Xmetal; 10-07-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post
          Congratulation on the new ride and glad to hear that you got it home safely down a shock!

I just googled Strom Motorsports and looks like they are in the old Bullet Performance building? Bullet Performance had been my go-to shop for years until the owner decided to give me some attitudes one day - something about them doing me a favor for honoring their 2years warranty! Needless to say, they never got my business since and I've never been back to that complex. My wife's Audi S3 is out of factory warranty next week, so this is good timing in finding a repair shop for it. Plus, it's always good to have an alternative/backup to Lang Racing for my S54 works.

I'll keep an eye out for you roaming around OC? Wave if you see an Imola Z4MC!
          I believe that to be the case; their building is in a fairly large complex of other german performance shops. Strom does tons of Audi stuff -- they even had an RS3 LMS race car in the shop that I believe they race. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out. Their shop is definitely worth checking out nonetheless, they always have amazing cars, and Brett the owner is a great dude to talk to.

I'm closer to West LA but venture down into OC fairly often, and I'll be sure to!

Comment

Nice pickup. This is already an entertaining journal. I think I took some screenshots from IG of this car back in Feb of this year. Ive attached the pics.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MotorSportThree View Post
              Nice pickup. This is already an entertaining journal. I think I took some screenshots from IG of this car back in Feb of this year. Ive attached the pics.
              Hah! That’s definitely the car. Love to see it. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Entry 2:

Finally got around to doing some smaller mods. The first of which is a rennline 'phone mount' -- very easy install. Great location. Couldn't imagine getting a different mount.

During installation:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9374.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	132660
                Finished product:

Name:	IMG_9375.jpeg
Views:	418
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	132661

Celebratory canyon run:

Name:	IMG_9549.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	132664

I was also able to source some OE, brand new in packaging, front & side chrome grilles. The black grilles were really bothering me; the goal for this car is to go completely OE+ on the exterior. I will also be sourcing OE orange side reflectors to match.

Name:	IMG_9623.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	132662

Name:	IMG_9628.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	132663
                Front grilles:

Name:	IMG_9624.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	132665

Name:	IMG_9625.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	132666

Side grilles:

Name:	IMG_9626.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	132667

Name:	IMG_9627.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	132668

Name:	IMG_9629.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	132669

So much better. Up next, I'm hoping to source an OE TiAg front tow hook cover, convert my nav screen to a single din setup with an OE radio delete block off plate, and touch up a few other minor imperfections.

Comment

Off to a great start! Have any pics of the Ohlins?

Comment

Working...
                  X