Originally posted by D-O
View Post
Hard to make a call about damage to the firewall, but the Slon solution has an aluminum, L shaped intermediate piece between the brace and the firewall mount, so I would bet that's gonna suffer more than the firewall. See below for images stolen from Obioban's thread:
I think the chances of any engine bracing making its way into the cabin in a crash are very, very slim. BUT, BMW did it on the E86 and E89 for some reason, so I wanted to emulate it. Like you said, it might be more about preserving the chassis in a crash, but regardless of what the reason is, it definitely makes me sleep better at night
.
Originally posted by D-O
View Post
Most definitely! Still working on the packaging for that, but the filter is absolutely staying. I think airflow across it is likely gonna suffer since space is so tight, but worth it.
Originally posted by D-O
View Post
I think so (and Slon's data agrees!). However, it's a much more nuanced difference. Bulkhead increases torsional rigidity by about the same amount, but that's all it does. I find that you kinda need to push the car a bit hard to notice the improvement, with it being most apparent on sudden changes in direction. Also, it's way harder to do an AB test with the bulkhead, so you have to rely entirely on your memory.
However, front triangulation increases chassis rigidity AND limits strut tower deflection. That means three things, which make the change much more noticeable IMO:
- You get all the benefits of a stiffer chassis.
- You lose less camber when the front suspension is loaded up in a corner.
- Any loads that were previously going into flexing the strut towers are now going into the steering rack and thus, your hands, which makes the steering feel way nicer.

Leave a comment: