Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2002 Topaz 6MT Coupe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • heinzboehmer
    replied
    Originally posted by D-O View Post
    The Slon piece really is a work of art - very sexy. When looking at the Slon brace I had not really considered the crash safety factor - just figured if it came in far enough to impale me the accident was likely not survivable anyway. I do wonder if a front impact in the right spot could result in the Slon brace buckling the firewall, turning what might be repairable damage into a total loss. I would be interested to hear if you think this is possible.
    Agreed about the aesthetics of the Slon brace, it looks really nice and similar enough to the BMW performance brace that it doesn't immediately scream aftermarket.

    Hard to make a call about damage to the firewall, but the Slon solution has an aluminum, L shaped intermediate piece between the brace and the firewall mount, so I would bet that's gonna suffer more than the firewall. See below for images stolen from Obioban's thread:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4616.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	315604
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	292
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	315605

    I think the chances of any engine bracing making its way into the cabin in a crash are very, very slim. BUT, BMW did it on the E86 and E89 for some reason, so I wanted to emulate it. Like you said, it might be more about preserving the chassis in a crash, but regardless of what the reason is, it definitely makes me sleep better at night .

    Originally posted by D-O View Post
    In any case, I do like the factory look you have managed, and it might give me a reason to finally acquire a 3d printer ... Is it still the plan to accommodate the cabin filter?
    ​

    Most definitely! Still working on the packaging for that, but the filter is absolutely staying. I think airflow across it is likely gonna suffer since space is so tight, but worth it.

    Originally posted by D-O View Post
    Another question - did the Slon rear bulkhead make as noticeable a difference as the front brace?
    ​

    I think so (and Slon's data agrees!). However, it's a much more nuanced difference. Bulkhead increases torsional rigidity by about the same amount, but that's all it does. I find that you kinda need to push the car a bit hard to notice the improvement, with it being most apparent on sudden changes in direction. Also, it's way harder to do an AB test with the bulkhead, so you have to rely entirely on your memory.

    However, front triangulation increases chassis rigidity AND limits strut tower deflection. That means three things, which make the change much more noticeable IMO:
    1. You get all the benefits of a stiffer chassis.
    2. You lose less camber when the front suspension is loaded up in a corner.
    3. Any loads that were previously going into flexing the strut towers are now going into the steering rack and thus, your hands, which makes the steering feel way nicer.
    So, very similar effects on chassis dynamics, but very different effects on driving feel.

    Leave a comment:


  • D-O
    replied
    Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    Also, I feel like I should clarify this. I am in no way trying to compete with Slon or offer a cheaper version of their kit. Slon pioneered and tested this idea and should receive all the credit for it. I never would have started this project had I not driven a car with the Slon brace installed.

    Mine and Slon's versions are simply optimizing for different things and both have their pros and cons. Mine is optimizing for max "factory-ness" (including the crash safety stuff) and for ease of removal to make engine work simple. Slon's is optimizing for stiffness of the part and minimal interference with the cabin air filter housing.

    I would really only pick my version if you care about what I mentioned above our if you want a much more involved project
    The Slon piece really is a work of art - very sexy. When looking at the Slon brace I had not really considered the crash safety factor - just figured if it came in far enough to impale me the accident was likely not survivable anyway. I do wonder if a front impact in the right spot could result in the Slon brace buckling the firewall, turning what might be repairable damage into a total loss. I would be interested to hear if you think this is possible.

    In any case, I do like the factory look you have managed, and it might give me a reason to finally acquire a 3d printer ... Is it still the plan to accommodate the cabin filter?

    Another question - did the Slon rear bulkhead make as noticeable a difference as the front brace?

    Thanks for sharing all the knowledge.

    Leave a comment:


  • heinzboehmer
    replied
    Well, that was fast! Got to me from Spain in two days, crazy:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20250813_120832.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	315592

    Bed/layer adhesion is high enough that I was able to print them standing up with no supports. They do flex a little bit when printing the upper layers, but they still come out fine:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20250813_132751.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	315593

    I was too impatient to dry the filament before printing, so the surface quality kinda sucks. Drying it out now and will keep messing with the profile to try to make it better.

    Fit is excellent though:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20250813_132357.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	315594

    Unlike the insert -> plug gasket, these are super chunky and are made to flex a lot to accommodate any slight variations in the angle of the braces. Similar idea to the filter housing -> hood gaskets.

    Printed this test piece with 0% infill and it's suuuper flexy, very happy with that:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20250813_132602.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	315595

    (the part easily bends with just finger strength, pliers are just there for a clearer picture)

    Leave a comment:


  • heinzboehmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    And god damn I love how the filament prints.​
    Printing it standing up helps a LOT with surface quality since you don't get any of the weird interleaved layers on the curved surfaces.

    Kind of a pain to print in this orientation (involves lots of supports), but necessary for strength of the retaining tab in the back.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fuckin-magnets-how-do-they-work-me-irl-2952337.png Views:	0 Size:	188.1 KB ID:	315325

    Looks great.

    And god damn I love how the filament prints.​

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X