Fusionrace’s 2006 Silver Grey SMG ZCP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusionrace’s 2006 Silver Grey SMG ZCP

Well I missed the memo on the M3 forum being shut down, so I guess I’ll start my journey here. I picked up a 2006 Competition in fairly good condition. It has a good number of miles on it, but it seems like it was maintained well from the records I was given.

I generally do the majority of the work on my car, however for the immediate future I will likely pay to have some
    off the labor intensive work done. My initial plan is to evaluate the track worthiness of the car, remediate any obvious mechanical issues, and fix any cosmetic items that seem to crop up on all e46s. In the back of my head some Supersprint stepped headers and a motor sports airbox are calling my name.

Probably should have added a photo or two. It’s been cold and snowy in Boston so I haven’t had time for good pictures.

Comment

First order of business is fixing the titanium trim around SMG lever and around the steering wheel.

Comment

Got some medium fine grit sand paper and started sanding away the old paint. Unfortunately, it looks like the previous owner spray painted the trim previously which led to multiple layers needing to be smoothed out.

Once completed, I started to cut an outline of vinyl around the trim pieces.

Comment

Finished product

Comment

One unintended issue that came up was the EML Light + Traction Light + Check Engine which put me in Limp Mode. I think when reconnecting the battery, there may have been a power surge that tripped this issue. I ended up letting the battery sit disconnected overnight and the reset the check engine light. All is well now.

Comment

Picked up the Freaky Parks (little) big brake kit. I plan to pair these with the stock rear ZCP calipers for the time being as the brake bias remains close to stock.

I do need to figure out my front wheel spacers on the ZCP wheels… throw me some hints if you know, otherwise I’ll have break out a template and check when the weather gets better here I’m Boston.

Comment

CSL Kingping kit. Sort of an impulse buy, but Tischer had them in stock.

Comment

Super excited to get this Bimmerworld control arm installed. These seem to be well regarded by a number folks and they are sealed which makes it a bit more street-able from a longevity perspective.

Comment

While driving I noticed a rattle from behind me. I suspect the rear drivers window may be loose. The window seems to be unleveled when look at it straight on. Additionally the rear seal seems to be a bit more exposed at some angles, with a bit of light peaking through when fully closed.

I suspect that the previous owner may not have secured the window properly when attempting to fix the B-pillar fabric near the seat belts.

Yea crappy pictures, I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X