WestBank's 2003 E46 M3 Carbon Black - Refresh+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WestBank's 2003 E46 M3 Carbon Black - Refresh+

I believe it's time to start my build journal, so here we are gentleman. I graduated high school in 2000, so when I was 18, 2001 hit and the E46 M3 came out onto the market. From that day I was hooked on owning one, the $50K+ price tag was daunting as a young kid but I could dream. A friend from school had just picked up his 2001 LSB Coupe and ended up blowing the engine within the first few weeks of ownership. I believe they were able to hook it up and see that he indeed redlined it multiple times, hooligan type driving. He didn't get the warranty from BMW NA but ended up buying a brand new engine, I believe he paid northwards of $25,000. Scared the hell out of me and I vowed to return one day.

I've built a solid sheet of cars and have attended multiple track days through the years in various whips. I always opted to buy my cars stock and learned how to do all the work on my own starting out. I started in the Japanese game with a 1992 Integra GS, ended up installing a B20B engine out of a Honda CRV w/ nitrous and then sold it. Attraction to the street racing scene is what lured me in, was happening throughout the Bay Area, San Jose to be exact. Started getting into drifting in the early 2000's, so I found a clean 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS w/ 1-way LSD, lots of J-Blood and Cusco parts on this car, sold it for $4000 which was a big regret to this day. I moved onto a 1989 240SX Hatch w/ S13 front end and SR20DET swap done by myself after money shifting from 4th to 2nd on the freeway. I ended up getting this car to close to about 400whp, with the help of a GT2871R turbo, injectors, and a tune. After the 240SX phase, I picked up a 1988 Porsche 944 and it launched me into the German game. The car was super difficult to work on, I had to replace the oil pan gasket, and that meant pulling and tilting the motor, it was a nightmare that one. Car was stolen and never seen again unfortunately. I then purchased a 1995 E36 M3 in Alpine White. Caged it with a TS Designs custom build for time attack, cut the fenders, flared it and ran a square 305/30/19 setup. Car was ready for a LSx swap but I never completed it, I did take it to a few track days. I remember going full out with that S50 and couldn't break traction, car just stuck. Later after a couple of commuters my urge for another ///M surged. Snagged up a 2016 M4 Competition and fell in love with the F8x chassis. When the CS model came out, I knew I wanted it, and I wanted it in San Marino Blue. I ended up trading my 2016 M4 Comp for the 2019 M4 CS and I'm definitely satisfied but the itch came back for the E46 M3, I put it into the back of my mind. As I've driven an M4 for the last 7 years, I can't help but feel my CS is always trying to kill me, definitely way to much car for me at the track and for the mountain passes, it's a lot of car. I looked back into the E46 M3 market and when the prices started rising, I knew I needed to jump in and pick one up.

I bought my 2003 E46 M3 in December of 2020 from a family in-law member. He's in his 50's and has back issues, he was the 2nd owner. Bought it with a few thousand miles on the clock from a woman in Minnesota when he lived there. He never drove the car in the rain, waited for it to rain TWICE before taking it out. He was meticulous and it shows, an example is some of the suspension bolts still have their zinc coating on them from the factory per Performance Technique who completed the complete suspension overhaul, welded in Turner RACP reinforcement plates and installed the epoxy/rivet Vincebar at the same time. This journal is to go over everything that I've done with my E46 M3 and why this car is special to me. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, especially after dropping around $20,000 in a little over a year for refreshment and maintenance. 2 of the 3 BIG THREE have been completed, waiting for my first oil change to send the oil off to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. Please stay tuned, lots of pics and work photos.

I will start with some of my previous builds.
    Last edited by WestBankM4; 10-27-2022, 05:03 PM.

​​​FIRST EYES CLOSE UP: December 2020

Like I stated previously, this vehicle was purchased from one of my wife's in-laws. I've seen the car a few times and had to mention it multiple times to my wife before she finally put me in contact with said in-law. He's definitely an ///M enthusiast and pretty much bought this car in his early 30's in MN from the original owner. Original owners was a female who sold the car back to the BMW Dealership after 1 year of ownership and a handful of miles.

The car is a 2003 (10/02) BMW M3 in Carbon Black Metallic w/ Gray Leather interior. Mileage upon purchase was 114,xxx. The car was trimmed with the Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Rear Side Airbags, Xenon Headlights, NAV w/ Harmon-Kardon Sound System, Aluminum Trim and is equipped with an SMG. PO has all the records from the cars time at the dealership, kept all parts he purchased and replaced over the course of time. Tool kit, BMW flashlight, everything intact and OEM as can be. He did install some carbon fiber wrap on the aluminum trim, angel eyes, black kidney grills and black fender vents. Besides the minor "upgrades", the car is relatively stock. Not a single thing has been replaced underneath or in the engine bay.

First impression really threw me off, there was a black rubbery film surrounding the car from the midway trim point to the bottom including the wheels, it covered the front bumper and rear bumper as well. Apparently the PO knew it was going to be parked for a bit and decided to Plasti-Dip the whole thing, I didn't know what to expect but figured I could remove it. Interior was in very good condition, he prided himself on keeping it tidy, too bad it's gray.

As you can see below, it had a super old clear bra on the hood, front bumper and mirrors. It was so old, it flaked, cracked, and peeled the paint off during removal. You can also see the Plasti-Dip that surrounded the car and OEM 18's. Interior I will say was in fantastic condition, smelled good too surprisingly. She needed some new tires, complete suspension refresh and the big three completed. First things first though, addressing the issues at hand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	190362 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	190360 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	190361 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	190368 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	190373​​Click image for larger version  Name:	image_39410.jpg Views:	4 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	190363

Here is the dash and host of lights to greet me on the first drive back to Oakland. Washer fluid, CEL, and front right head light for now. Some pixels are dead on the NAV unit and the speakers are letting out an insane high frequency squeal when the unit is turned on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	190370 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.5 KB ID:	190364

Car got home safe and sound, parked in the garage for further inspection. Apparently, the car had SMG issues that flared up per the PO, he believed the pump was failing. I was told when the car gets up to operating temperatures and it's a warm day, it will lock you out of all gears after 2nd. I didn't have enough knowledge about the platform to make an informed decision whether I wanted to keep the SMG, but my heart was set on a 6-speed from the start. My M4 CS came DCT only and I've always owned a manual so this would be the one. I wasted no time in sending it to a local member found here on the boards for the 6-speed manual swap, 3 days after these photo's were taken to be exact. Drove the car less than 15 miles with the SMG, didn't give me any issues during that short sprint home, it was night time though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	190371 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	190367 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	190366 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	190372

All the rubber on the exterior looked like these, definitely baking in the sun over the last few years. The PO laminated the window sticker, so here it is in all it's glory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	190365 Click image for larger version  Name:	CB_E46_M3_14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	190369
    Last edited by WestBankM4; 10-27-2022, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Congrats! CB is the best! Your pics seems to have been compressed badly
      Last edited by Tbonem3; 10-27-2022, 07:27 PM.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        Congrats! CB is the best! Your pics seems to have been compressed badly
        Yeah I was screwing around with it, I'll figure it out. Going to delete and reupload. Such a mundane interface. :|

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Yeah I was screwing around with it, I'll figure it out. Going to delete and reupload. Such a mundane interface. :|
          Ya clunky, but I've got it figured out ok. I use the "upload attachments" button, then insert a "large" version of the picture. My pictures are a large resolution jpg to start with. If you insert a picture using the "pic" button on the top strip, it won't insert a large picture into the body, but a small version I find.

Edit - hmm, I just noticed that the pic thumbnails above are much clear on my desktop computer, but they were very fuzzy on my cell phone (even on wifi). Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Ya clunky, but I've got it figured out ok. I use the "upload attachments" button, then insert a "large" version of the picture. My pictures are a large resolution jpg to start with. If you insert a picture using the "pic" button on the top strip, it won't insert a large picture into the body, but a small version I find.

Edit - hmm, I just noticed that the pic thumbnails above are much clear on my desktop computer, but they were very fuzzy on my cell phone (even on wifi). Strange.
            I updated them, so they should be better on your phone now? Anyway, everything looks good the problem now is the images are sideways. Haven't figured it out so I'll wait to finish adding more information, but I got lots to go through!

Comment

For my portrait orientated pics, I have to edit them in ms paint or android (crop, or rotate 180. then rotate 180 again), save file, then they display properly.

Comment

Nice purchase! Looking forward to the updates.
                `

Comment

In for upcoming updates!

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
                  2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
                  My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Working...
                  X