No announcement yet.

My Slow Burn (E46 M3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I love ice blasted underbody pics. I watch way too many of those videos on YouTube 😆

Comment

Scored a super cheap set of Style 67's from just over the border in NH. Plan is to have them refinished at some point and keep them as a spare/backup set for the M3. I don't have any plans to swap out the OEM Comp wheels that are currently on it. In my eyes, the Comp wheels are the perfect wheels for the E46 M3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52620586238_eaed16a28d_z.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	200393

Name:	52620108081_f5f2636699_z.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	200394

Recently got the results back from my latest Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis. I didn't use any race fuel/octane booster, so obviously the Lead bit is somewhat concerning, but I didn't notice any issues with the oil pressure or any knocking. Will definitely be keeping a close eye on things once she's out of hibernation in the Spring. That said, I suppose bearings have crept up the To Do list somewhat. Anyone have a ballpark price on what new bearings would run me (parts & labor)? Will probably take it to either Wile Motorsport in Walpole or Woodward Motorsports in Mendon for this work when the time comes.

Name:	52623314160_ae53b08fa0_z.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	200395

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
      2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
      My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

I'm suspicious of that copper you've been seeing 3 tests in a row, and oddly it was highest in 2020, though not a lot higher than the averages. Looks like you're over 104k+, not like you only have 50k. Lead is the first sacrifical layer, so no surprise if that creeps up, then you'd see it start to go back down and copper rise up * if wear is even, but that's an assumption. Seeing iron, you've gone too far. So I'm not sure why you've seen elevated (for the mileage) copper BEFORE lead - perhaps one single shell or pair wore badly and its lead is gone and has been adding copper to your oil for a while? - Just a guess.

Something to remember about the PPM is mileage. PPM will be higher on the more typical OCI of 7500. You have less than 3k.

What oil are you running? If Castrol, there should be titanium. If liquimoly, there'd be no Molybdenum. Kind of strange. Maybe you're using the BMW (shell) oil or motul? Edit, says LM, but you must be adding moly as an additive.

Hopefully RB job is cheaper where you are, but even in Socal, it's not that much higher than $1000 (labor) since ACL beraings are pretty cheap, but you'll need new bolts and other parts.

Edit: Reading these reports is like reading tea leave lol. Ultimately, it's a gut decision to do the job or not. Yes, you're over 100k, but you don't drive the car much, so failure may be years away at your current rate.

If you showed pics of the shells, I'd bet they're actually in good shape for 100k, but that's my opinion formed from looking at pics of shells, including my own, and oil reports, over the last 10 years.
        Last edited by Tbonem3; 01-13-2023, 03:52 PM.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

RB job will run you slight north of $1.8k at one of the shops you've mentioned (Got mine done in 2022) - Which included all the necessary gaskets, WPC OE bearings and oil (OE rod bolts were supplied by me).
          Last edited by Sprp85; 01-15-2023, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I wouldnt bother with wpc oe (which I have too). Just oe or acl, maybe be - theyre popular for s65.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              I'm suspicious of that copper you've been seeing 3 tests in a row, and oddly it was highest in 2020, though not a lot higher than the averages. Looks like you're over 104k+, not like you only have 50k. Lead is the first sacrifical layer, so no surprise if that creeps up, then you'd see it start to go back down and copper rise up * if wear is even, but that's an assumption. Seeing iron, you've gone too far. So I'm not sure why you've seen elevated (for the mileage) copper BEFORE lead - perhaps one single shell or pair wore badly and its lead is gone and has been adding copper to your oil for a while? - Just a guess.

Something to remember about the PPM is mileage. PPM will be higher on the more typical OCI of 7500. You have less than 3k.

What oil are you running? If Castrol, there should be titanium. If liquimoly, there'd be no Molybdenum. Kind of strange. Maybe you're using the BMW (shell) oil or motul? Edit, says LM, but you must be adding moly as an additive.

Hopefully RB job is cheaper where you are, but even in Socal, it's not that much higher than $1000 (labor) since ACL beraings are pretty cheap, but you'll need new bolts and other parts.

Edit: Reading these reports is like reading tea leave lol. Ultimately, it's a gut decision to do the job or not. Yes, you're over 100k, but you don't drive the car much, so failure may be years away at your current rate.

If you showed pics of the shells, I'd bet they're actually in good shape for 100k, but that's my opinion formed from looking at pics of shells, including my own, and oil reports, over the last 10 years.
              Appreciate you chiming in, as always! And as you stated, I am and have been using the LM MoS2 additive at each oil change. And my goal is to drive the car more and more each year, as this past year is the most miles I've put on the car in one season since purchasing. The fact that I can get my boys into boosters in the rear seats makes it much easier to consider this car for everyday errands and what not.

I suppose we'll see how the next oil analysis looks and go from there. If new bearings are in the cards, so be it. I don't plan on moving on from this vehicle any time soon, so I'll spend whatever is needed to keep her running smoothly and happily!

2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
                RB job will run you slight north of $1.8k at one of the shops you've mentioned (Got mine done in 2022) - Which included all the necessary gaskets, WPC OE bearings and oil (OE rod bolts were supplied by me).
                That's not awful. Appreciate you chiming in!

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

I wouldnt bother with wpc oe (which I have too). Just oe or acl, maybe be - theyre popular for s65.
                  Good to know. Thanks, again!

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Then just plan on doing it around the next time you need an oil change anyway imo, in about a year? Gives you time to book apt and discuss shells/bolts etc with shop.

Comment

Then just plan on doing it around the next time you need an oil change anyway imo, in about a year? Gives you time to book apt and discuss shells/bolts etc with shop.
                      Good call. Will probably end up doing just that.

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

I've been wavering on upgrading the exhaust tips. I've always preferred the look of a double-walled tip, so I bought these "Eurostyle" tips from a British fellow (you may see him post on Facebook from time to time) who makes them and sells them a few times a year. Luckily, I was able to get one of his last remaining sets until he produces more:

Once the car is out of hibernation, I'll have my old shop neighbor weld them onto the Megan exhaust currently on the car and while it's up on the lift, I'll see if he and I can mess around with fitment of the muffler. It's always been just a hair off, which is what you get when you opt for a "cheap" exhaust. That said, I've always loved the sound of it and have received many compliments on it, so why mess with it?! I know everyone has their opinion on exhausts for our cars, when it comes to drone and rasp and what not, but I'm very happy with the tone of the Megan. Now it's time to make it look a bit better than the current single-walled tips.

​

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

OK, next purchase for the M3 arrived last week from IND-Distribution. I usually buy direct from Karbonius, but once I saw IND had a few in stock, figured I'd order from them to cut down on turnaround time. Even though I don't have the CSL style front bumper, I really think this will help finish off the look of the Karbonius intake:

Hurt my back last week so I've been unable to really do much beyond walking, but really hoping to get this installed next week (we're away this weekend). Will obviously take lots of photos during and after the install.
                          That said, I did order something else direct from Karbonius....stay tuned!! 👀

​

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
                            OK, next purchase for the M3 arrived last week from IND-Distribution. I usually buy direct from Karbonius, but once I saw IND had a few in stock, figured I'd order from them to cut down on turnaround time. Even though I don't have the CSL style front bumper, I really think this will help finish off the look of the Karbonius intake:

Hurt my back last week so I've been unable to really do much beyond walking, but really hoping to get this installed next week (we're away this weekend). Will obviously take lots of photos during and after the install.
                            That said, I did order something else direct from Karbonius....stay tuned!! 👀

​
                            Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thank you!

Back's feeling much improved, so might pull the car cover off and get to this today or tomorrow.

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Finally had some time to install the Karbonius Snorkel and replace the Throttle Position Sensor. Snorkel was a snug fit, but I made it work. Hopefully just another week or 2 (and a bit more rain) until I can start driving this thing again. Need any remnants of salt off the roads first!

​

2021 BMW M340i

Comment

Working...
                                X