Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
My Slow Burn (E46 M3)
Collapse
X
-
I wouldnt bother with wpc oe (which I have too). Just oe or acl, maybe be - theyre popular for s65.
- Likes 2
-
I'm suspicious of that copper you've been seeing 3 tests in a row, and oddly it was highest in 2020, though not a lot higher than the averages. Looks like you're over 104k+, not like you only have 50k. Lead is the first sacrifical layer, so no surprise if that creeps up, then you'd see it start to go back down and copper rise up * if wear is even, but that's an assumption. Seeing iron, you've gone too far. So I'm not sure why you've seen elevated (for the mileage) copper BEFORE lead - perhaps one single shell or pair wore badly and its lead is gone and has been adding copper to your oil for a while? - Just a guess.
Something to remember about the PPM is mileage. PPM will be higher on the more typical OCI of 7500. You have less than 3k.
What oil are you running? If Castrol, there should be titanium. If liquimoly, there'd be no Molybdenum. Kind of strange. Maybe you're using the BMW (shell) oil or motul? Edit, says LM, but you must be adding moly as an additive.
Hopefully RB job is cheaper where you are, but even in Socal, it's not that much higher than $1000 (labor) since ACL beraings are pretty cheap, but you'll need new bolts and other parts.
Edit: Reading these reports is like reading tea leave lol. Ultimately, it's a gut decision to do the job or not. Yes, you're over 100k, but you don't drive the car much, so failure may be years away at your current rate.
If you showed pics of the shells, I'd bet they're actually in good shape for 100k, but that's my opinion formed from looking at pics of shells, including my own, and oil reports, over the last 10 years.Last edited by Tbonem3; 01-13-2023, 03:52 PM.
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Scored a super cheap set of Style 67's from just over the border in NH. Plan is to have them refinished at some point and keep them as a spare/backup set for the M3. I don't have any plans to swap out the OEM Comp wheels that are currently on it. In my eyes, the Comp wheels are the perfect wheels for the E46 M3.
Recently got the results back from my latest Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis. I didn't use any race fuel/octane booster, so obviously the Lead bit is somewhat concerning, but I didn't notice any issues with the oil pressure or any knocking. Will definitely be keeping a close eye on things once she's out of hibernation in the Spring. That said, I suppose bearings have crept up the To Do list somewhat. Anyone have a ballpark price on what new bearings would run me (parts & labor)? Will probably take it to either Wile Motorsport in Walpole or Woodward Motorsports in Mendon for this work when the time comes.
Leave a comment:
-
Man I love ice blasted underbody pics. I watch way too many of those videos on YouTube 😆
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Had some logistical issues getting my next client vehicle in, so as to not waste the dry ice I had on hand, I brought my M3 back in to finish cleaning the undercarriage.
And while the car was in the shop, I took advantage of the lift to remount the carbon fiber front lip. So glad it's finally back on....love this look:
Also took my oldest son to an Audrain Museum Cars & Coffee event a few weekends ago in Newport,RI. He loves car shows and it's great dad/son bonding time!
My buddies E93 M3:
- Likes 5
Leave a comment:
-
Took the wife and boys out for breakfast recently. Donuts for the kids, and had to snap this photo while waiting:

At the coffee/bagel food truck, we had a nice view during breakfast:


Got another cool reflection shot of my car after leaving my barber:

Gave the M3 a much overdue wash last week:






And brought it the shop last Friday for some dry ice cleaning, finally:














After some partial cleaning...can you spot the differences?:


- Likes 3
Leave a comment:
-
Recently did something I've wanted to do for a while now. Swapped out my worn black armrest for an OEM Imola Red one:
Next up (I think) is polishing the carbon fiber CSL style front lip that I had removed last year, then ceramic coating it, then reinstalling.
I'd also like to ceramic coat my Karbonius intake and strut bar, and some of the plastic bits in the engine compartment. Haven't worked with ceramic coating before, so I feel as though this is a good way to get my feet wet.
- Likes 3
Leave a comment:
-
Thank you!! They sure did a fantastic job.Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View PostMan the rolling shots are epic. Car looks stellar. Love the blurred pavement lines.
Leave a comment:
-
Man the rolling shots are epic. Car looks stellar. Love the blurred pavement lines.
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Got some rolling shots taken for the first time ever. Until I get all the finished/edited photos, this was one the photographer sent me as a sneak peek:
​
Leave a comment:
-
Yesterday afternoon, I got the M3 dyno-tuned to help address a sporadic check engine light/fuel bank code I'd been receiving since getting the car tuned after installing the Karbonius intake.
So I had my laptop plugged into the OBDII port, while my tuner was remote connected to the laptop from his location (California, I believe). Was my first ever experience at a dyno...pretty happy with the numbers she put down considering she's 17 years old and only modifications are the intake and the muffler/rear section:

​

​

​

​

​

​
And now for the fun stuff.....noises:
Man, 6 individual throttle bodies + the Karbonius intake sound utterly amazing!!!!
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Although I have yet to get her up on the lift for a full undercarriage cleaning, I spent a few minutes last week spot cleaning the M3 with dry ice. Did the wheels, gas filler and a few spots in the engine bay:
BEFORE
AFTER
On Sunday, a buddy and I rode down to the first Audrain Museum Cars and Coffee of the season at Fort Adams in Newport,RI:
And after a nearly 3 month wait, a little more carbon fiber arrived for the engine bay. I was convinced it was going to be destroyed based on the condition of the box...alas, it was not:
BEFORE
AFTER
- Likes 1
Leave a comment:
-
Finally had some time to address some of the items on my To Do list. Got my Karbonius Strut Bar installed (which involved flipping the positive terminal in the engine bay), coils 2-6 swapped, swapped out the CSL dipstick for a non-CSL version, mounted the 'BMW M Power' decal on the Karbonius box and I think that's about it. Hoping to get her out of the garage by the end of the week (assuming we get more rain to wash any remaining salt off the roads) for the first time. Need to get her up to my Dry Ice Detailing garage for some hardcore cleaning!
405 Followers, 197 Following, 56 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from entICED Garage (@enticedgarage)

​

​

​

​

​

​
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: