Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Slow Burn (E46 M3)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Continued the Spring of Service by flushing the brake fluid and replacing with Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid.

    Also removed the front lip to re-fit it better, as I was never 100% happy with how I installed it.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	51105450758_8d95e7e114_c.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	98351

    Click image for larger version

Name:	51105455351_90bb530ed8_c.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	98352

    While the wheels were off for the brake fluid flush, I took that opportunity to try and bring some life back to the fender liners. Horrible lighting led to some crap photo quality, but you get the idea.

    Before:

    ​

    ​


    After:

    ​

    ​



    Click image for larger version

Name:	51105445636_948f1cb38e_c.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	98353


    I used Adam's Rubber & Tire Cleaner along with a tuff shine tire brush, followed up by Meguiar's M39 Mirror Glaze Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner and the tuff shine tire brush. Wiped off with clean microfiber towels, then applied Solution Finish, waited roughly 2 minutes to let it set, then wiped off with microfiber towels. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

    Next up is getting my battery tray/compartment squared away. My order from FCP should arrive in the next couple of days, so I'll remove the battery and existing tray and start cleaning out that area to see what I'm really working with.

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Originally posted by robgill View Post
    It’s pretty easy to pull that entire black bracket from the tray and clean up any rust in there. Then hit it with some converter and paint.

    For the plug if you measure the size it’s a lot easier to try and match it up in RealOEM.
    I ended up ordering a new bracket, among other things, from FCP. Should be here in the next few days, so I'll remove the battery and the existing bracket and get that all cleaned up and ready for when the new parts show up. Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • robgill
    replied
    It’s pretty easy to pull that entire black bracket from the tray and clean up any rust in there. Then hit it with some converter and paint.

    For the plug if you measure the size it’s a lot easier to try and match it up in RealOEM.

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Decided to yank the aFe stage 2 intake out of my M3 while I await the arrival of the Karbonius CSL style intake. Gives me a chance to sell the aFe and also get a good look at what I may need to replace in the engine bay while I'm in there. I have a For Sale thread if anyone's interested in it.











    I still need to do the brake fluid and start on the cooling system, finding time is the issue right now. Maybe tomorrow night. Cheers!

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    While swapping in a new Champion H5 battery over the weekend, I got a real good look at my battery tray. Should I be at all concerned with the current look of this area, or is this par for the course? Wondering if I should look into any sort of rust treatment/prevention or leave it, as is?

    Also, unsure what my options are with that hole. Is this hole a result of doing what post #15 from this thread says? And if so, does that mean I can plug that up with the plug also referenced in post #15 (#41007140847)?

    Thanks in advance!


    Click image for larger version

Name:	51080321147_0d6af07752_z.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	95096

    Click image for larger version

Name:	51011043850_402685df03_c.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	95097

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Went away to NH over the weekend for a little birthday getaway (sans kids), so the boys were very happy to see mom and dad when we picked them up from my parents on Sunday. My oldest wanted to sit in the M340i driver seat, so I happily obliged...then the youngest wanted to sit front passenger:






    As for yesterday, I had taken Friday and Monday off, so my wife brought the kids to the playground and as an additional birthday gift, gave me an uninterrupted garage day. So I got to working on the M3. Unfortunately, I had taken a few spills on Saturday while snowboarding (mind you, I hadn't been in about 7 or 8 years), so I'm pretty beat up and moving slower than normal.

    I did manage to flush diff fluid and trans fluid, and install new fill/drain plugs for both, as well. I am LOVING these new flat bottom jack stands:




    Starting pile:












    Took this opportunity to clean up some of the underbody plastics:








    This is what's left to do (at least, until the intake arrives!!!):




    And stored for the evening:




    Going to leave it up on jackstands as I plan to start addressing the cooling system hopefully tomorrow. And I still need to flush the brake fluid. I want to remove the aFe intake so I can get that sold, but debating on waiting in case I need to move the car in/out of the garage in the meantime. I suppose I can reinstall the OEM intake for the time being...we shall see.

    Very happy to be knocking these maintenance items off my To Do list and updating my spreadsheet with this info. I try to document ANY modification/service item that I perform to all my vehicles.

    Stay tuned for more. Hoping to speak to the plumber in the next week or so to schedule a day for him to hook up the garage sink to my existing lines/drain pipes. Gonna be nice to be able to wash my hands BEFORE going in the house and making a mess of things.

    Cheers!

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike0032 View Post
    That 340i is looking real good.
    Thank you!!

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
    Looking good
    Thanks, man!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike0032
    replied
    That 340i is looking real good.

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Looking good

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Mounted my Deckorate M3 deck in the perfect location above my desk:








    And my collection of items that await the M3 for some pampering:





    I also managed to hand wash the M340i on Friday, as the temps were hovering around 60. This car looks so good clean:












    While drying the door jambs, in all my recent Karbonius craze, I found that I had almost forgotten how beautiful the CF intake was on this car:
















    And lastly, I installed the optional european-model only OEM first aid kit on the M3:






    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick_P View Post

    I recently ordered one from apmotorsport in UK for my Evolve CSL airbox. They might still have some in stock
    Good to know. I just contacted them...I’ll see what they say. At the end of the day, I still won’t have my intake until around the same time, so it’s really not a big deal if i have to wait.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick_P
    replied
    Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post

    I sure hope not (don't think I will be!!). And you weren't kidding...the shut off valve currently has an in stock ETA of 4/12/21. Ordering what I believe is the rest of what I'll need today, for sure!
    I recently ordered one from apmotorsport in UK for my Evolve CSL airbox. They might still have some in stock

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Originally posted by M3logik
    You will not be disappointed by the intake. Make sure and order all the required parts now as sometimes there are delays from BMW.
    I sure hope not (don't think I will be!!). And you weren't kidding...the shut off valve currently has an in stock ETA of 4/12/21. Ordering what I believe is the rest of what I'll need today, for sure!

    Leave a comment:


  • eforty6_m3
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
    Best choice on the intake
    Thanks, man...I think so, too! 👍

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X