Dan's original owner '01 dual duty M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan's original owner '01 dual duty M3

Trying to recreate my old build journal from the M3Forum.net days... With the passage of time, multiple computers and phones – there are a lot of holes in this, but bear with me. :-)

My car:
    '01 Jet Black M3, Imola interior, executive & cold weather package and sunroof

My general approach has been to keep the car as well maintained as I can, when I am replacing wear items or address problems then I can look at potential upgrades. Goal is to keep the car comfortable (for me) and fun on the street and also make it predictable and as close to worry free as I can on the track.

Here's a list of my current mods for my M3:
    Autosolutions Ultra 30% SSK
    F10 BMW M5 shift knob
    UUC Clutch Stop
    BMW strut tower reinforcement plates
    TCK Koni DA coil overs
    - 300#F/550#R springs - Flatride!
    - GC street camber plates
    - RE street RSMs
    - Vorshlag articulated adjustable rear spring perches w/reinforcing plate
    TMS Front upper stress bar
    TMS adjustable rear lower control arms w/rubber isolators
    TMS aluminum pedal set
    TMS floating brake caliper bushing kit
    TMS SS brake lines
    TMS M3 front sway bar 30mm full stiff
    OEM rear sway bar
    TMS Power Pulleys
    TMS subframe reinforcements
    TMS aluminum rear subframe mounts
    TMS 12.5 mm rear wheel spacers
    TMS race wheel studs 75mm F/90mm R
    TMS black oxide lug nuts
    Powerflex aluminum/poly FCAB
    Syncro Design Works spherical bearing RTAB
    Ground Control adjustable front sway bar links
    CSL brake Upgrade
    - CSL rotors, drilled, floating
    - PF Z-Rated pads (street)
    - PF 008 pads (track)
    - F&R brake dust shields deleted
    - Motul 660 RBF
    Evolve Tune
    - cold start delete
    - SMG shift lights
    - EGR delete
    - 8,100 RPM redline
    - speed limiter removed
    - sport button memory enabled
    - Tune for euro headers - turn down aft O2, turn off EGT EGR Valve blank off plate
    Supersprint 63.5mm stepped headers & high flow cats
    Stock US section 2
    Status Gruppe SCZA muffler
    4:10 Diff w/stock LSD
    Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" ET35 wheels F&R
    265/35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

My PM Schedule:
    Oil & filter change every 5K miles
    Brake fluid flush every other track day or annually
    Cooling system zero timed at 90K miles
    Coolant changed every other year
    Transmission & Diff fluid changed annually when tracked, 30K otherwise
    Caliper bushings cleaned & lubed after every event or annually
    Tires rotated after every event or 5K mikes

Next:
    Vanos overhaul & reset valve clearances
    Turner Motorsports CSL Intake (on hand!)
    ECU update to MSS54HP
    MAP sensor
    HTE "box" then Dyno tune

Now to how I got here....
    I bought my M3 on May 18, 2001 from Jake Sweeney BMW in Cincinnati. I had planned to order a carbon black M3 and was able to test drive a Jet Black over Imola Red M3 at the dealer. The saleswoman called me just after my test drive and said that the deal had just fallen through on the Black M3 that I demo’ed – so I wasted no time and picked it up. I just looked at the bill of sale and the car had 45 miles on it when I bought it - it has ~ 125K now

Click image for larger version

Name:	New car!.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	162072

Name:	New car.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	162073

I remember my 1st mod to the car was adding a UUC clutch stop from Turner Motorsports - really helped smooth out the shifts!

My next mod was a set of Koni single adjustable struts/shocks and a set of springs from Dinan. To this day, I think that is one of the nicest all around suspensions for a daily driver.

Then a friend invited me to my first track day and the slippery slope...

Name:	1st HPDE NHMS.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	162074
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Next updates was trying to improve the braking performance and reduce understeer.

I didn't have the cash to complete a BBK - so I upgraded to the BMW euro floating rotors and CSL front disks. With a pad update to Performance Friction - 008's for the track and Z-rated pads for the street, I've been happy with the performance.

I removed the front and rear backing plates while I was at it and had intended to add brake cooling ducts, but I haven't found that it was an issue yet for my skill level on the track.

Name:	Brake splash guard removal.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	162078
    I remember there were a lot of cutting tools involved and a lot of swearing - in retrospect, I would recommend not doing this unless you need the clearance or are running force fed cooling to the rotors. I haven't had any issues with this setup on the street in cold or wet weather.

Comment

With about 45K miles on the clock, next upgrade was to move to Powerflex FCAB bushings and a set on TMS swaybars.

I purchased the baseline powerflex bushings and unfortunately after a few track days the passenger side (header side) bushing support housing gave up the ghost and cracked.

Name:	Cracked poly FCAB.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	164508

I also found that one of my front swaybar mount brackets cracked - always a good idea to investigate those unusual noises...

Name:	Broken swaybar mount.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	164509

The folks at Bimmerworld were great and helped address the premature failure and get me into the upgraded powerflex race level FCAB bushings and I haven't had any issues with them since. I was tempted to go to the TMS FCAB with spherical bearing with grease fitting - but last time I pulled and re-lubed the new ones (no pic), they have been fine.
      Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Around 60K miles I noticed some clunking from the rear end of the car when I got on and off the gas (no not the "M clunk") and I brought the car to TMS to have the guys check it out. Sure enough, the unibody where the rear subframe mounts was cracked... Unfortunately I can't find any of the pics of the cracks and repair from TMS... will add if I find them.

So I had them pull the rear subframe, weld up the cracks and then weld in their reinforcement plates to strengthen the unibody in that area. And I happen to ask about 4.10 rear end upgrade and they happen to have a customer with one that wanted to go back to stock - so I ended up with a low mileage Diffs On-line 4.10 rear end with REM finishing during the rebuild along with a new Diff cover. I love it and think this is the way the M3 should have been built - really wakes up the car! My diff has a little bit of an trailing throttle whine, but it's easy to manage so not really noticeable (to me).

Comment

Car has been very reliable, overall with typical problems others have encountered

Intermittent misfiring at 90 K miles solved by replacing all coil packs, found my coils had TSB but I was well outside extended warranty window

Had some issues with brakes and spongy brake pedal. First problem was I could not get my ECU to go into ABS bleed mode to purge system - Dealer, TMS and Independent BMW master mechanic could establish external communications with ABS unit. Puzzling even with lack of communication, ABS and DSC worked and no codes.... Solved by buying used ABS pump & memory for ridiculously short money from Pam Auto recyclers in North Dakota (or somewhere close), unit has lifetime guarantee and when I swapped electronics GT1 could talk with ABS unit - hurray!

Unfortunately that was not all of the problem... So I then changed master cylinder and then still no real improvement. Then, and in retrospect I should have done this first, searched this forum and I was able to piece together brake pads had a very real effect on initial brake "bite" and pedal feel. So off came the metal masters and on went the Performance Friction Z rated pads and all was right with the world! I'm sure the OEM pads would have the best overall bite for the street, but by this point I was tracking my car and wanted more fade resistance.

Had some clunking in the rear end of the car that I eventually tracked down to be torn unibody at the rear subframe mount points. I had Turner Motorsports, who are 20 mins away and awesome, do the weld repair and install their strengthening plates - while they were in there install 4.10 diff with REM polished gears, new guibo and new subframe bushings.

Biggest issue which was traumatic for me, more emotionally than financially (fortunately) was rod bearings. I'm an Engineer at a jet engine manufacturer so I am pretty good at knowing how to break-in an engine and I drive my car hard - but never until it's fully warmed and I have short, 5K, oil change interval. That being said - I dragged my feet on having local dealer do bearing recall (who knows what his training has been). Long story short - 18 months after the recall, my engine blows up (spun a rod), piston and valves meet and sadness... Then my local Service advisor after seeing my stack of maintenance records, puts on his tights and cape and comes to the rescue and BMW buys and installs a new long block as a goodwill warranty so now here I am with an 15 year old car with 120K miles on the chassis and now 35K miles on my engine - happiness is! :-)
          Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-20-2022, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I pulled the US headers out and installed a set of the Euro headers. Went with Evolve tune and I modified the Euro headers to weld in another set of O2 bungs so I could install the rear sensors.

First peak at the bundle of snakes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Euro headers installed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	164097

Here's a picture of the porkers next to the Euro headers ready to go back in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Euro vs US.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	164098

I stayed with the US section 1 and the car had a ton of rasp, great power - but wow, when combined with the shorter 4.10 gears the car really howls on the highway when you get on it...
            So for my birthday/fathers day last year I removed the stock muffler (what a beast!) and installed a Status Gruppe Scorza muffler. Sounds glorious and I lost 25# or so on the car!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Muffler comparison.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	164099 Click image for larger version  Name:	Muffler.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.7 KB ID:	164100

Sound is unreal on the track - love it, but after daily driving it for a year - I'm planning to weld in a set of AR20 resonators and a pair of Magnaflow 200 cell metallic race cats to see if I can tame the rasp and quiet things down a bit.

One of my buddies welding in the new resonator

Name:	Welding rasp pipe.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	164506

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34167.jpg Views:	3 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	164101
            Changed my plan - welding in one AR20 resonator in parallel with factory resonator. Longer team will look to go to Supersprint setup, so trying to minimize expenses on this setup.

The AR20 was a HUGE improvement to the rasp - car no longer sounded like a 2 liter 4 cylinder with a giant muffler....
            Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:50 AM.

Comment

So my Christmas Present to myself - a set of MCS 2WNR coil overs courtesy of Mr. Wolfe. :-) Can't wait to install!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	MCS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.6 KB ID:	164102

I plan to get the car up on jack stands this winter and pull rear subframe, inspect the chassis and condition of the TMS strengthening plates. Also install TMS Aluminum rear subframe bushings and while I have the exhaust on the ground - weld in the AR20's and a set of race cats to tone down the rasp and the stink. I'll post some pics as I work through that project.

Also plan to pull fuel injectors and get those rebuilt - I haven't checked in a while, but previously when I looked I couldn't find any DIY's, so that might also be a project for me to document as well.

Parts I've accumulated over last couple of months:
              - MCS 2WNR Coilovers w/Vorschlag GTS springs, camber plates & monoball RSMs
              - TMS aluminum rear subframe bushings
              - Auto Solutions 30% reduction Ultimate SSK
              - UUC enforcer transmission mount deflection limiter cups
              - Transmission, Differential & engine oil and filters

Planned work:
              - Remove Dinan Koni's & Springs
              - Remove driveshaft & exhaust section 1 to muffler
              - Drop rear subframe
              - Remove UUC SSK & Install AS SSK
              - Install UUC Transmission mount enforcers
              - Inspect TMS subframe reinforcement plates & unibody
              - Clean up any rust & protect w/POR15
              - Press out OEM subframe bushings & install TMS Al bushings
              - Install new rear differential bolts
              - Inspect rear suspension bushings
              - Install MCS Coilovers w/550/650# springs
              - Weld in AR20 into US section 1 next to OEM resonator
              - Remove fuel injectors & send to clean and overhaul (write DIY?)
              - Engine oil, transmission & diff oil change
              - Brake fluid flush

Some nice rear spring perches

Click image for larger version  Name:	Perch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.9 KB ID:	164108

Here's the grungy rear subframe

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rusty subframe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	164103
              Cleaned up and painted with rust encapsulator paint
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Painted subframe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	164104
              Decided to go with aluminum rear subframe mounts in attempt to minimize risk to mounting points on the unibody. Getting the old bushing out was a huge PITA - I have a hydraulic press, but nothing to press against to get them out! So, went ballistic and drilled a ton of holes in the old ones and got the BFH out and was able to pound them out. With the help of some friends, we were able to hold the subframe in space, another guy hold the bushing and the 3rd guy actuate the press... Finished product.

Name:	Subframe TMS Al Mounts.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	164504
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Well - the MCS shocks and struts were just too track oriented for me and I decided to remove them.

Name:	MCS fronts installed.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	164502

The comfort and damping were fantastic, I was running 550/650# F/R springs if I recall and the ride was great - no complaints there. But, they were very noisy... I sent them back to MCS for rebuild and upgrade to latest valving, but not a lot of improvement... Could hear a lot of "clicking" of the valves opening and closing in the shocks, so off they went. I have heard that the 2 way non-remote are the noisiest and the 1 way are supposed to be quiet - but I installed a set of TCK DA coil overs instead.

Name:	300# flat ride.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	164503

I ran the konis for several years with 450# front and 550# rears, but always felt the rear of the car was harsh on the street. I worked near Boston, so the roads were in terrible shape... So after reading about flat ride on the Forum, I changed the fronts to 300# springs and couldn't be happier - great ride and the harshness in the back is gone - even though I didn't change the rear springs!
                Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:45 AM.

Comment

The stink of running catless was getting to me and I moved to a new state and needed to get through inspections - so I decided to bite the bullet and install a set of 63.5mm Supersprint headers and their high flow cats.

Here's a shot underneath with the Euro headers out - everything looks good and seems to be plenty of room...

Name:	Headers out.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	164500

I managed to get the headers in and then realized I do have to install the longer studs... I had bought them but the old ones looked great - so hoping to skip a step, but just not enough exposed threads, so I double nutted the studs and backed out the old ones and installed the new ones. Fortunately, everything came out and went in OK. I used a home brew penetrating oil - 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. I bought a gun micro oiler with a hollow tube tip and it works wonders.

A "plus" during this exercise was I trial fitted my O2 sensors and EGT probe to see what I was up against with the cats in Section 1. I found that SS had forgot to drill out the bung for the EGT sensor - so I had time to rework that before the "final" install.

Name:	SS EGT rework.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	164501

Here's the new studs in

Click image for larger version  Name:	Exhaust studs.jpg Views:	39 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	164113

Next - reinstall the headers! I could get them in place myself, but the primaries are so large a diameter, wrench access is awful and I had to enlist a helper with small hands to get some of the nuts on the studs, my hands were just too big. Tightening them was a huge PITA - had to get very creative with wrenches and on 2 of the nuts I had to suspend a wrench from above with a magnet and then tighten the nut one 6th of a turn and then re-index the wrench and repeat... 45 minutes to get one nut on - excruciating! But...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Installed SS.jpg Views:	41 Size:	120.0 KB ID:	164114
                  A tight fit at the transition!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SS tight fit.jpg Views:	41 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	164116

And the view from below - I ended up partially disassembling the EGT harness to the DEC and then ran the lines going to the rear O2 sensors down along the fuel lines and put the harness connectors near the fuel filter underneath the metal protective shield. I just couldn't make it work from the right side of the car no matter what I tried...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34272.jpg Views:	3 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	164499
                  Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Ditto - placeholder 4

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	809A4769-8FCE-4CF4-95C8-AEF870D286BD.jpg Views:	46 Size:	171.7 KB ID:	164038 Jumping to current day - decided to give the car a good wash before I started pulling things apart in the engine bay.

Car still looks fantastic even though it's 21 years old and I get thumbs up and comments from folks that they love the car. I was nervous about the Imola interior when I bought it (would I get sick of it) but wow, so glad I did - still looks amazing today!

Name:	Seats.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	164510
                      Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Getting ready to install TMS CSL intake, full Vanos rebuild/lockdown & set valve clearances.

Here’s the expensive piece - packaging was fantastic - can’t wait for install.

Name:	Intake.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	164498
                        Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Since my car is ‘01 I decided to send the DEC to Kassel Perf for update to HP spec with CSL base. I’m planning on getting tune from HTE Perf and I’ll be also adding MAP sensor from CV-19 as well as new decal 😉

Comment

Got the old airbox out - the oil drain back line was the only real challenge and once I had the box off the ITB’s, I was able to pop it off with big flathead screwdriver. Everything looks great underneath.

Name:	ITBs.jpg
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	164497
                            Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I took the opportunity to install a different aux water pump that I’ve seen others use to free up real estate in the area.

Here's the original two pump setup

Name:	Aux2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	164494

And here's the single pump setup which eliminates the taller pump

Name:	Aux1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	164495
                              Last edited by 01M3Fan; 04-23-2022, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X