Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karter16's Silbergrau E46 M3 Journal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • karter16
    replied
    And now I can do fast writes as well :-)

    Seems the DME only supports 125000 baud (BMW-FAST) when the DME is in programming mode, so now figuring out how to harmlessly trigger programming mode to get fast reads without having written something first.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-21 at 6.17.05 PM.png
Views:	306
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	352739

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    We need to develop a MKIV launcher

    Could easily fit all the important options with recreate the low res
    Now that would be pretty cool!! I wonder how configurable idrive launcher is - it's been a while since I looked at it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

    We need to develop a MKIV launcher

    Could easily fit all the important options with recreate the low res

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6372.jpg?v=1756962749&width=1946.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	352645
    Yes! That would be awesome and a great solution because i dont see any way this BMW tech can survive much longer in our car LOL.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by karter16 View Post

    2: I've replaced the Xtrons launcher with iDrive Launcher which is a fantastic, well put together, piece of software which further does wonders to make the unit feel like it fits in the E46 interior.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9070.jpg Views:	483 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	266552
    We need to develop a MKIV launcher

    Could easily fit all the important options with recreate the low res

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6372.jpg?v=1756962749&width=1946.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	352645

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by karter16 View Post
    Today I got distracted and built my own app to connect to the DME over OBD/DS2.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-20 at 5.50.36 PM.png
Views:	331
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	352594
    Currently it can connect, retrieve system address and query for things like ZIF, AIF, etc.

    It can also unlock to enable privileged commands, negotiate to change baud rate etc.

    It can also read program and tune binaries.

    Next step is to get it flashing 😱
    That is amazing mate! Now only if someone would make an app for coding instead of people like me struggling to do simple things such as CSL Shifting Software on and SMG or just basic coding like cluster etc....

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Today I got distracted and built my own app to connect to the DME over OBD/DS2.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-20 at 5.50.36 PM.png
Views:	331
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	352594
    Currently it can connect, retrieve system address and query for things like ZIF, AIF, etc.

    It can also unlock to enable privileged commands, negotiate to change baud rate etc.

    It can also read program and tune binaries.

    Next step is to get it flashing 😱

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    I did a final* assembly of the gauge.s enclosure today. I say final with an asterisk as I have a a couple of final dust-coats of paint still to do on the enclosure, which, if it works like last time, will lighten up the finished surface a bit and bring the colour closer to the BMW dash colour.

    Anyway - here's the *almost* finished enclosure:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4449.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	352425

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4455.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	352421

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	352420

    I thought about finishing the entire enclosure, not just the visible face but decided that was ridiculous.


    I didn't take photos of preparing the screen, but the steps were basically to take a new display, apply a red film layer, and then a layer of the same anti-glare film that I used on the xtrons. I don't like the shiny look of the gauge.s screen with the red film applied by itself, so decided to apply the anti-glare as well - which makes it look much better.

    Here's a few photos of assembly - screen in:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4457.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	352416

    Screen retainer:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	352417

    Logic board in and sub-cover installed:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	352415

    Back cover on:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4463.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	352419

    Closeup of the connector:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4464.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	352426

    From the front: this is the second reason why the project is quite completely finished. The red film I received has some micro impacts to it which result in unavoidable bubbles in the anti-glare layer. Not cool, I'll order some more red film and redo this. Carried on with the install cause I wanted to see the end result:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4459.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	352427

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4467.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	352418


    And here's how it looks in the car:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IDG_20260418_154726_533.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	352414

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IDG_20260418_154805_897.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	352424

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IDG_20260418_155030_052.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	352423

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IDG_20260418_155045_140.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	352422

    Worth noting that the softness and glow of the digits on the display is the iPhone camera struggling with the contrast, it doesn't actually look soft and dispersed like that in person.

    I'm really pleased with how this has come together - couple more minor bits as mentioned to get this completely finished.


    I also finally got pure-ftpd setup today (thanks to Bry5on who figured out that pure-ftpd works well with gauge.s's use of some less common ftp commands).
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Originally posted by Slideways View Post

    That would be a bit of a problem if the adaptations were reset lol

    Maybe it is not a great idea to reset adaptations with the 75C, 70C and 55C thermostats.
    I'd say it's more of a problem to not reset.

    Whatever rf_psau_i is at the time the engine is switched off will be written to the adaption EEPROM. If rf_psau_i is never updated again (as a result of TMOT = 80 not being hit) then that adaption value will stick for forever. If environmental conditions have changed in the mean time then rf_psau_i (saved as an adaption) could be actively throwing your RF calculation away from where it should be.


    I'd suggest for those running a lower temp thermostat to adjust what I've called k_rf_p_saug_i_tmot_min (0xE5EC in the tune file) to a lower threshold temperature.


    Edit: I just had a quick look at the other parameters that use tmot as a threshold to trigger various behaviours. Seems most other modules use TMOT == 70 to 75ish. Probably means that those running lower temp thermostats on the street should consider adjusting some of these other parameters as well, depending on where they see TMOT sitting most of the time.
    Last edited by karter16; 04-06-2026, 09:47 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slideways
    replied
    Originally posted by karter16 View Post

    Yup it'll not update and rf_psau_i will be stuck at whatever it was last set at as an adaption. Which, depending on whether conditions have changed, will either hinder or help.
    That would be a bit of a problem if the adaptations were reset lol

    Maybe it is not a great idea to reset adaptations with the 75C, 70C and 55C thermostats.

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Originally posted by Slideways View Post
    Hmm, what happens if the thermostat is stuck open and it never reaches 80C? I really should get to fixing that
    Yup it'll not update and rf_psau_i will be stuck at whatever it was last set at as an adaption. Which, depending on whether conditions have changed, will either hinder or help.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slideways
    replied
    Hmm, what happens if the thermostat is stuck open and it never reaches 80C? I really should get to fixing that

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    It was raining heavily today so I drove to work and took the opportunity to run some logs.

    I've written previously about the CSL MAP sensor and its function. As a quick recap it performs 2 functions during normal operation. One is to act as a kind of running offset between calculated actual conditions and the AlphaN map, for this reason the MAP integrator value rf_psau_i is stored as a adaption in EEPROM. The second thing is does is act more instantaneously to address variations in realtime.

    It's fairly commonly known that the integrator is limited to +-2.5%. As I've noted before it's actually +-2.5% of max RF, which in the range the integrator is active in is actually more like +-10% of current RF.

    I've previously hypothesised that in normal operation the integrator doesn't bounce off its limits anyway, I just haven't actually got around to posting any evidence of this. So here we go

    This is a normal drive home from work. rf_psau_i integrator is always applied to final RF, but the integrator is only updated once engine temp reaches 80 degrees, hence the straight line at the start of the log.

    What we can see more generally though is that once the TMOT condition is reached the integrator is very active. We can also see that it hasn't got anywhere near its +-2.5 limits, sticking between +1.094 and -1.205.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-04-07 at 4.18.42 PM.png Views:	7 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	350763

    I thought another way to understand how much of the time the MAP sensor is actively correcting RF would be to look for the percentage of time it's changing. So here we go:

    Once TMOT=80 is reached in the log above there are 78,859 records captured at approximately 100Hz frequency.

    Of the 78,859 records, 41,655 of them have an rf_psau_i value that differs in value from 10 records (100ms) earlier. By this measure the MAP integrator is active approximately 52.8% of my drive home. If we extend the measure to look where it differs in value from 100 records (1 second) earlier, the figure rises to 64.4%.

    In short - for round town and highway commuting the MAP sensor is going to have a significant effect :-)
    Last edited by karter16; 04-06-2026, 10:15 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Life continues to be busy, have managed to make some progress in a few places.

    I've finalised the design of the Gauge.S enclosure and done a final test assembly (see photos below). I have the final prints too ready to be sanded and painted.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4236.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	349677
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4237.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	349674
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4238.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	349676
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4240.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	349675
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	349678

    I've also been putting the dev version of Community Patch V2 to full use. I've been doing more work on understanding the behaviours of the cylinder air mass calculations specific to the CSL and looking into a couple of interesting curiosities. I've been maxing out the 3 custom CAN messages as well as pulling across slave-only parameters. A lot of this investigation I'm doing would be pretty much impossible without the flexibility of being able to pull, at high data rate, the specific variables I need.


    I also received my second-hand E86 front triangulation braces that I ordered while I saw them for cheap. Looking forward to getting heinzboehmer's front triangulation brace together and installed when I get the chance!

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Boom! AVAN1_SOLL (target exhaust vanos angle), which is a Slave-only variable, logged at 100Hz over CAN

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4197.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	344942

    Now to build out a bunch of test cases and work my way through them...

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Glad you are feeling better!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X