Bean’s 05 SMG A08 Build Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bean’s 05 SMG A08 Build Journal

Holy smokes, this is a long time in the making. I purchased the 05 at the end of April 2020, right before we where all locked inside from the Covid epidemic.

I had been entertaining the idea of getting an e46 M3 for a couple of years, watching values go from the low 10Ks for okay cars, up to 20K for fairly decent cars. By the time I pulled the trigger I bet there had already been a 15% increase in value’s, and that trend seems to be continuing, as I am seeing 100K plus cars advertised for 20K.

He was my big learning lesson as I started shopping seriously, you are not just buying the car, but all of the previous ownership as well. Once I figured that out, I was able to recalibrate my expectations. I am not in the EAG buying ability, although I did reach out to them hoping for some high mileage rejects . . . No luck.

I bid on a couple of cars on BAT, with one I was even sure I won the bid, but I was on my phone, and lag time updates screwed me on TIAG, 06 ( forgetting now ), SMG, ZCP, 65K that went for 26K . . . the facts are a little fuzzy now.

I of course had been watching Craigslist, along with all of the auto trader type apps.

My preferred spec was later model 04, 04, 06, Manual Trans, Phoenix Yellow, Next Exotic color like Violet, ZCP, or at least CSL wheels, black interior.

Sorry, long winded already.

What I ended up with was an 05 silvergray metallic, SMG, black interior, with no to little OEM packages, bone stock, with 79k miles. But what I noticed right away was a car that seemed very loved thru the condition it appeared to be in, driven as it has rock chips, and a few dings here and there, and the current owner really seemed to care for the car. The owner seemed to be very concerned that the car would go to someone who would love it as equally as himself, and was happy I was not a some who looked like they where about to create a modded track beast.

I took it for a timid drive, but knew I was gonna buy that car right then and there.

I bought the car with all the intentions of wrenching on the car, tracking the car a couple of times a year, and enjoying the crap out of it.

I feel like I punked out in many ways . . .

I did a ton of research here, YouTube, Besian . . . everywhere. And I convinced myself I was capable enough of tackle two of the big three: Rod Bearings, Vanos . . . and I would have someone do the RACP.

In the end I chickened out, I decided I would have an expert in the field tackle the big three, and leave washing the car to me.

Sorry for the pics, I have not really had a great moment to shoot any real images of the car other than my phone pics.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5678.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	72331

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4616.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	72416

Name:	F6092BA9-25EA-4A5C-B576-4F4AAB374923.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	72417

Specs:

2005, Silvergrey Metallic A08, SMG coupe, Sunroof, no nav, no heated seats

AS OF 12 / 8 / 2020
    81653 Miles

Engine
    Vanos - complete Besian vans job ( Kiav ) : seals, chain guides, rattle kit, solenoid pack
    Rod Bearings - WPC treated OE
    New Power Steering Pressure hose
    New / Cooling system refresh
    Rode Engineering Diablo Sect 3, black tips
    New Sparkplugs
    Fresh Valve adjustment
    Headlight cover strip both sides
    Blackstone report first oil change 1k after rod bearing job

Chassis
    RACP - AKG RACP subframe plates welded ( Kiav, he mentioned my car had zero cracks )
    AKG subframe bushings
    OEM FCAB
    OEM Motor Mounts
    New OEM steering coupler
    19” type 67 wheels
    Mish Mash of tires: P-Zero all seasons of front, Pirelli all season on the rear ( they seem to have as much grip as a greased pig )

Exterior
    New Front Window ( yep, I thought I could put in a fresh new windshield gasket . . . nope )
    New windshield cowl
    Rear Diffuser ( happybuyitnow, CSL rep, got the tip from Tbonem3 )
    New OEM round hood emblem ( ripped off with my paint correction tape job )

Interior
    Center console cup holders
    Center console roller ash tray
    Redline phone magnet

Audio
    OEM - basic ( I leave it off, and listen to all that induction )

Detailing
    3/24 - clay bar ( little need, garage kept car )
    Paint correction - My first real attempt, kept it very conservative, looks great but can use another pass a little more aggressive )

TO DO
    Sitting on shelf - Koni’s - front & back
    Sitting on shelf - Dinan Springs
    Sitting on shelf - Wheel Studs
    Alignment after Koni install
    On route from BF purchase - Eventuri Intake
    On route from BF purchase - Sportline 8s wheels
    On route from BF purchase - wheels wrapped in PS4S
    Dreaming of CSL Bootlid
    Dreaming of Pedalhaus Pedals
    Dreaming of - SMG conversion ( Kiav )
    Dreaming of - brake conversion ( Porsche )
    Dreaming of - short / euro center console
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cbean; 12-09-2020, 09:55 AM.

Rob Bearing job done by Kiav ( incredible experience, A++ BMW expert )

These rod bearings had 80K on them when replaced:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8313.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	72336
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8213.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	72337
    Expert Photos done by Kiav as well!!!

Thank you Kiav

Blackstone Report 1k after Rob Bearing Job:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 9.44.18 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	269.3 KB ID:	72338

Comment

Got a nice one!

Can you expand on the windshield issue? One cannot simply pull out the gasket and glue in a new one? Does the glass need to come out?
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Love the direction you are going. A+ for taking the car to Kaiv. Can't wait to see how your build progresses!

Comment

Thank you guys, I am basically a Tbonem3 fan boy Although the new CSL Bootlid prices make them out of reach me.

My plan was to keep it completely stock, but I guess I am heading stock plus with that Eventuri Intake ( I swore I would never . . . but all that carbon fiber, intake sound, direct bolt on, I could not resist )

"A+ for taking the car to Kaiv."

Yeah, I do feel like a punk not going for it on those projects, and I would love to do both a Vanos job and rod bearing job one day . . . but in the end, for this car I decided a real pro was a great choice. As far as I can tell, the car has spent its whole life in the garage, and well taken care of . . . the last thing it needed was a hack like me opening up its vitals

Kiav is A+++

I was convinced I would convert the SMG to manual, but I have been second guessing myself with some of the threads here lately, and wondering if I will be to damn short to reach the pedals

But he will be the guy to do it!

"Can you expand on the windshield issue? One cannot simply pull out the gasket and glue in a new one? Does the glass need to come out?"

So here is a great example, or confirmed reason, taking my car to Kiav was the right choice Kind of . . .

I had a really great windshield guy come to the house and do a GREAT install, and chatted him up a lot. And here is what he told me . . .

What I was told by the fourth owner, the fella I purchased the car from, that the previous owner changed out the OG windshield because it was chipped, and pitted . . .

So I was already working with a replaced windshield, which plays a little role, because they are completely replaced by hand: windshield, gasket, glue.

The gasket, or seal looks like it was reused ( it looked like ass from my perspective, and was the one eyesore of the car if you really looked ) so I wanted to change that out. Youtube here I come!!!

FCP Euro for the Gasket . . .Maybe Bimmerworld . . . I forget.

It really looked like a no brainer, easy peasy wuick and easy . . . 400 bucks later

My dude mentioned that from the factory there is often mechanical help, robot arms, precision tools to aid in the setting of the windshield, glue . . . and everything is very exact. And if the windshield was OG, I may have had some success.

But since mine had been replaced, often the installers use a lot glue, and its not as exact as the factory, and glue will go up in the channels. I was doomed before I started.

I was very timid, gingerly, and soft in my approach, using plastic molding tools, carefully working separate areas, protecting the paint as much as possible.

About an hour and half in, sweaty, frustrated, impatient but this point, I exacted a little extra will of desperation on the gasket and was rewarded quickly with a crack from top to bottom

In the end it all worked out for the better, as I know the work the installer did this time around

PICS :

Name:	IMG_5757.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	72412

Name:	IMG_5752.PNG
Views:	196
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	72413Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5753.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	72414
          Last edited by cbean; 12-09-2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Rogue Engineering Diablo - Purchased from a fellow enthusiast ( who hooked me up with Kiav ) - he had the tips changed to BLACK.

Swore I would not change anything, but like a week into owning the car this deal popped up and I could not resist

And huge weight savings!

Name:	69F73AD7-70F5-44C1-93A5-2DE5E909FC8E.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	72419

Name:	E146B9C1-C20D-481F-8599-B4651B3975CA.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	72420

Comment

Hmm ok thanks. Mine is original, so I suppose it might go better, but maybe best to take to a professional.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
              X