M3Logik's E46 M3 Track Car Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3Logik's E46 M3 Track Car Project

I've been an M3 guy for about 10 years now. I've had two E46 M3s and one E92 M3. The E46 M3 is my favorite platform to drive on the track. I've been to the Hockenheimring, Nurburgring, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and Laguna Seca. I used to live in Germany, but now I'm in Orange County, CA.

My new project is 2005 M3 (108k mi). I had been searching for a while and finally settled on this beast. It had seen better days I'm sure, but the last owner and dealership that sold me is M3 did me no favors. But more on that later...

The basic plan is to build a car similar to my last E46 M3 track car, except I'll be even more track-focused and dialed in. This will be a CSL clone, with race parts on top. I'll do most of the work myself, but will outsource the more difficult tasks to my local shop.

Plan for Mods/Parts:

Engine/Exhaust
    Karbonius CSL Airbox ✔
    CSL Dipstick ✔
    Full Supersprint Exhaust ✔
    HTE Tune ✔
    Replace Stock Valve Cover ✔
    Lightweight Battery

Cooling
    Mishimoto Electric Fan ✔
    Full cooling system refresh with OEM components ✔
    Bimmerworld Oil Cooler ✔

Suspension
    DMG Front Strut Bar ✔
    Ground Control Track Coilovers ✔
    Polyurethane bushings all around ✔
    OEM Guibo ✔
    Turner FCAB ✔
    Turner RTAB ✔

Tires/Rims
    Bridgestone RE 71-R Tires 265/35/18 ✔
    Apex ARC8R 18x9.5 Square Wheels ✔
    Apex Stud Kit ✔
    Apex Spacers ✔

Braking
    AP Racing Radical Brake Kit (F+R) ✔
    Ferodo Brake Pads ✔

Interior
    Fully stripped interior ✔
    Full Cage w/subframe tie in ✔
    Carbon panel with various switches
    Karbonius CSL Console ✔
    Interior Trim Refresh ✔
    Sparco 260mm flat bottom steering wheel ✔
    Works Bell SMG Paddle Kit ✔
    Works Bell Hub Kit ✔
    Sparco Circuit Seats ✔
    Sparco 3/2 aluminum harnesses ✔
    Moroso Block Off Plate ✔

Exterior
    CSL Trunk (OEM) ✔
    CSL Roof Rails (OEM) ✔
    Status Gruppe CSL Front Bumper ✔
    Ebay CSL Diffuser ✔
    Lang Racing Carbon Roof ✔
    Aerocatch Locking Hood Latches ✔
    Seibon Carbon Hood ✔
    Vented Carbon Fenders (Karbonius)
    Five Star Polycarbonate Windows (Rear + R+L) ✔
    New Front (Glass) windshield ✔

Plan for Maintenance:

Vanos Refresh (Beisan)✔
    Valve Adjustment ✔
    Oil Change ✔
    Rod Bearing Replacement ✔
    Replace Injectors ✔
    Replace Spark Plugs ✔
    Replace Coil Packs ✔
    Replace Both TPS ✔
    Replace Fuel Filter ✔
    Replace Water Pump ✔
    Replace Valve Cover Gasket ✔
    Replace Fuel Pump ✔
    Replace Fuel Pump Relay
    Replace Tensioners ✔
    (and whatever else I find along the way)

Repairs:

Repair right rear quarter panel (ON HOLD)

Mini updates provided on IG @M3Journal

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	230.9 KB ID:	74153
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	74154
    Last edited by M3logik; 03-03-2022, 08:25 PM.
    Instagram: M3Journal

The street in the first picture looks so familiar. Where are you located in OC?

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
      The street in the first picture looks so familiar. Where are you located in OC?
      Looks like we are neighbors! I just hit you with a PM.

Comment

Garage update:

Picked up a NewAge Pro Series cabinet kit the other day. Took a few hours to set up but I am pleased with the result.

Soft close doors and drawers, sturdy cabinetry, and a nice clean look.

The guys that took it off the truck had a difficult time getting it up the small incline. My only gripe with the experience was that they wouldn't even help me break it down and get it inside the garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200813_103818.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	74637

Directions were pretty straight forward. All cabinets are bolted into the studs. CA is earthquake territory!

Name:	20200816_094647.jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	74638

End result:

Name:	20200823_140224.jpg
Views:	1485
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	74639

Might do a backsplash of some sort but for the moment, I'm happy with how it all turned out.

Comment

Very nice setup!
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Very nice setup!
            Thanks bro. Many more updates to come!

Comment

Initial walkaround and findings:

The car is in pretty good shape, aside from the right rear, which had been repaired halfway by the previous owner or one of the dealerships that was in the transaction chain of this vehicle. After getting it off the truck and driving it home, I noticed that the right rear taillight was off somewhat. Took it to a local shop and they say the rear 1/4 panel will need to be replaced in order to get it back to 100%. Damn, this is going to cost $$$. Given the cost that I paid for the car, even after the cost of repairs, I'll still be ahead when compared to comparable M3's. Not too terribly broken up about it, but still pissed that I have this unexpected cost.

I did consult with an attorney. The up front cost to pursue litigation was not worth the $$, given the 50/50 shot that I'd win. Lesson learned. Don't buy a car sight unseen. Take a flight if you really want to purchase an out of town or out of state car. Don't trust BMW dealerships with your PPI. Only use independent BMW tuning shops for PPI. Carfax isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Some lessons are expensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201112_134233.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	74680

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201112_134214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	74681

First challenge: Pass Smog.

Could not complete the entire drive cycle as the ECU would throw the following codes every 20 miles. CA smog is not a fun thing to have to deal with on BMWs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200927_164343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	74682

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200927_164357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	74683

Replaced the MAF Sensor before sending to the shop (Lang Racing). They did the drive cycle and it looks like the new MAF I put on did the trick. Got the smog done and registered at the DMV the following day.
              Last edited by M3logik; 12-22-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Looks great, how is the quality of those cabinets?
                Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post
                  Looks great, how is the quality of those cabinets?
                  Rating is 9/10.

Probably not up to the level of Sonic Cabinets or another high level cabinet maker. But for less than half the price, I'd say that this is a must buy system. Great quality, good adjustability, instructions and install are straight forward. Would definitely buy again.

Comment

Weight reduction is high on my list of things to do for this project. I won't be going insane with a fully built motor setup, so every pound counts. After gutting the interior, I started working on removing the sound deadening. Been at it off and on for the last few days. Although it is quite tedious, it isn't too hard to complete.

I used this Wagner heat gun. Cost me $25 at the local hardware store. Used it at the 1100 degrees Fahrenheit setting and it only took a few seconds to heat up to a appropriate level to pry off the sound deadening with a wide metal spatula.

*Heat a large area, if it bubbles up, you've heated it too much. Keep folding until you get a big enough chunk to cut off. If you are careful, you can get most of it off without scraping the paint too much.

Finished the entire interior aside form the rear parcel area over the subframe. Still working out how to remove the sound deadening from that spot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201213_223804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	75806

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201219_194447.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	75805

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201219_194155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.1 KB ID:	75804

About 30lbs?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by M3logik; 12-28-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Going to revamp the entire cooling system and remove unnecessary items this weekend. Ended up going to the shop to evacuate the AC unit at a local shop. $75 bucks and all the Freon is now out!

Name:	20210113_093906.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	78940

Also, I ended up cleaning up the leftover adhesive using "Goof Off" ($10). Made clean up a really easy process. Make sure and use a mask and complete the project in a highly ventilated area as the fumes can get out of control quickly. Took a whole can to do about half of the car. Need to run back to the hardware store to pick up another can.

Results:

Name:	20210113_174910.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	78941

Comment

Really looking forward to this transformation. Will be a lot of work but really rewarding for you. I almost wish I could start over on my car to get the satisfaction all over again and I havent even finished my first time through.
                        2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

looks great so far. What's your target weight? It looks like you are going with lexan rear windows. are you going to retain the door glass?

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
                            Really looking forward to this transformation. Will be a lot of work but really rewarding for you. I almost wish I could start over on my car to get the satisfaction all over again and I havent even finished my first time through.
                            Thanks man, it is definitely a journey. Let's enjoy the ride.

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                            looks great so far. What's your target weight? It looks like you are going with lexan rear windows. are you going to retain the door glass?
                            Thanks man! 2950 without driver, full cage and safety equipment. I could stand to lose 20lbs, every pound helps! haha My last project e46 M3 track car was 3050 without driver.

Lexan glass all around except for the front windshield. Will eventually do lexan windows with a motorsport slide window for the driver and passenger doors.

Comment

Mini update:

DMG Strut Bar has been installed. It is indeed a solid piece. Glad I went with the black powdercoat. I really liked the raw clearcoat version that they offer but I think the black is better for my project. It is going to be a really nice tie in with the airbox.

Great packaging and includes new nuts and hardware. I'd definitely buy again.

Name:	20210114_174259.jpg
Views:	1414
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	79121

Name:	20210114_174311.jpg
Views:	1378
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	79122

Name:	20210114_174245.jpg