X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSx70 Flasher - Alpha

MSx70 Flasher - Alpha Release

Download here: https://github.com/terraphantm/MSx70...pha/Release.7z

This is a free application that can be used to read and write to the Siemens MSV70 and MSS70 DMEs found in the E85/6 Z4M, as well as 2006-2007 N52 engined cars including E60, E90, E85/6.

Requirements:
    • A computer or virtual machine with .NET Framework 4.5 – I believe this means Windows 7 or newer. There may be hacks to get .NET 4.5 to work on earlier versions of Windows, but I cannot confirm their reliability.
    • A functional Ediabas install. Or at the very least, the following files
      • MSV70.prg and/or MSS70.prg
      • If you only have the prg and no ediabas install, you will have to make some changes to the included config file
    • An OBDII – USB interface
      • Theoretically all MSV70 and MSS70 cars use K-line for communications, as such the firmware issue effecting D-CAN cars is not a factor.
      • This application assumes the use of an FT232RL equipped interface. The configuration can be modified to use COM communications for plain serial interfaces, however this is untested

Functionality:
    • Ability to read and write tunes and program code
      • An RSA bypass must first be flashed to write custom tunes/programs - this requires a full stock binary to be available
    • A full backup of the external and internal flash can be made over OBDII.
      • It is not currently known how to backup the SPI data without BDM
    • Automatic checksum correction for flashed tunes and programs

Safety:
    • Currently only rudimentary checks are implemented to ensure the tune matches the program and program matches the hardware
    • Additional safety measures will be implemented in the future.

Performance:
    • Backup tune in ~90 seconds
    • Full backup ~15 minutes
    • Flash tune in approximately 1 minute
    • Flash full program in ~15 minutes
    • Flash RSA bypass in ~17 minutes
    Getting Started:
    • The application defaults to assuming you're using an FTDI interface and uses FTDI mode for communications.
    • The application assumes your Ediabas PRG files are stored in C:\Ediabas\Ecu
    • The application assumes you will be using MSV70.prg
    • If you would like to change any of these settings, you can do so in the included .config file

First Time Use:
    • Before the application lets you do anything, it has to identify what it is connected to. Connect the cable to your car and computer and hit the "Identify DME button". Now more button and menus should be active
    • Read a full dump from your DME. After it is done, full backup as well as a copy of your tune will be saved in a folder with the last 7 digits of your VIN. Keep that backup in a safe location.
      • Full reads are formatted as External + internal. A full dump should be 2MBs in length.
    • Click load file, and select the full dump (2048kb) you just made
    • Click Advanced and pick the RSA bypass option
    • After that process is done, you’ll need to flash back a tune. You could click “flash tune” now to flash back what was already there, or if you already have a modified file you want to flash, you can load that now
    • That’s pretty much it, you can now flash tunes and programs to your DME as you please

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is RSA and why do you need to bypass it?
    RSA is an asymmetric encryption algorithm that is used in many industries to establish secure exchange of information. BMW uses it to validate tunes and code sent to the DME. Essentially BMW signs a tune or program with an encryption key that only they know. The DME can then decrypt this signature with a decryption key it has stored in memory. If a single bit in the tune or program changes, the signature is no longer valid and the DME will refuse to authenticate the program.

RSA is a secure algorithm, and for the MSV70 and MSS70, BMW uses a large enough key that it is impossible to find the key ourselves with today’s computing power. So instead we have to exploit vulnerabilities in the authentication scheme, which is what the patch this program installs does.

Something messed up and my DME won't boot anymore. Can you help?
    Well first of all try to see if you’re able to access it in tool32 at all. If the ident job works, then your DME can most likely be recovered. Get your hands on the proper cable and reflash your DME with WinKFP. Your DME should be recovered and should be okay to go from there

If the DME doesn’t even respond to an ident job in tool32, then unfortunately that most likely means the bootloader on your DME got erased / corrupt. You can recover with the use of a BDM flasher. There are several available out there. You should be able to restore your DME with the full backup that you hopefully made. If you did not make a full backup, then you can probably still recover things reasonably well, but we’ll just have to piece a few different binaries together.

Do you have any map packs or XDFs?
    I do not at this time. It is my hope that with the release of a free application compatible with off the shelf hardware, there will be more interested parties looking into these DMEs and trying to figure things out for the sake of improving the state of community knowledge. MartynT of ECUWorx makes some excellent software that help you with some simpler tweaks to your DME.

Acknowledgements:
    • This application would not be possible without EdiabasLib by uholeschak; you should check out the project here if you have any interest in BMW communications protocols
    • Chris325ix aka Hassmaschine aka nando for helping me get started with DME disassembly
    • @Obioban and liam821, without whom this new forum would likely not exist.
    • The original M3F DME crew, which got me interested in all this stuff in the first place
    Disclosures:
    • This application was built using GPL libraries, EdiabasLib in particular, and is therefore also bound by the GPLv3 license. As such, source code is available to binary holder who requests a copy.
    • I have no financial interests at this time in relation to ECU tuning, hacking, cracking, development, or disassembly.
    • I have no financial relationships with any of the vendors or individuals mentioned in this post

Disclaimer:
    This program is inherently invasive, and can render your DME unbootable and unrecoverable, as well as your car undriveable. Engine damage may occur as a result of this application's use. Care must be taken when using this application. In no respect shall nam3forum, m3forum.us, this program's authors or contributors incur any liability for any damages, including, but limited to, direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages arising out of, resulting from, or any way connected to the use of the application, whether or not based upon warranty, contract, tort, or otherwise; whether or not injury was sustained by persons or property or otherwise; and whether or not loss was sustained from, or arose out of, the results of, the item, or any services that may be provided by the authors and contributors.

Github Link: https://github.com/terraphantm/MSx70-Flasher

Fantastic terra! I'm sure this will help all the N52 and Z4M owners. How does this software compare to the other one that is available? - https://www.bimmertuningtools.com/pr...70-quickflash/

Comment

So I haven't personally used that software. Core flashing features appear to be similar.

He has some functions that I don't have implemented:
      -the MO3 checksum calculation - I'm still working out the best way to do it, looks like his strategy is to find the address in the full binary which is not a bad way to go. I'm leaning towards patching out the check altogether or hardcoding the addresses for the latest software versions.
      -He also has an EWS delete function built into the software. I don't. I do know of an EWS delete method, but since I wasn't the one who discovered it, I don't feel right sharing it without permission. Nothing stops one from patching a binary with the EWS delete code and flashing it with this application.
      -I also didn't implement stuff like DTC and adaption deletes. Wouldn't be hard to implement, but I'd prefer to keep the application as more of a flashing tool.

Of course big difference is my application is free and open source. And I don't separate the MSV70 and MSS70 into separate pieces of code (the flashing routines are identical, so I didn't feel the need to do so).

Comment

Added MO3 checksum correction for known program variants of the MSS70 and MSV70. With the MSS70 specifically that's 820S and 840S. If anyone happens to have another program variant, i can easily patch in support with a full dump.

Comment

Nice work, as always! Incase someone needs an XDF for MSV70, I uploaded one for version 9PPL921S​ a while ago: https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title...#Siemens_MSV70
          Last edited by sda2; 06-15-2023, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Nice! Do you have a script to help with A2L to XDF conversions? The A2L floating out there for the MSS70 (9R20840S.a2l) does in fact match the modern software variants, but ideally would convert it to an xdf or xml.

Comment

Originally posted by sda2 View Post
              Nice work, as always! Incase someone needs an XDF for MSV70, I uploaded one for version 9PPL921S​ a while ago: https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title...#Siemens_MSV70
              Any chance you have the MSS70 XDF?

hassmaschine stated that "there is a bug in TunerPro that doesn't allow it to use more than 255 categories. MSS70 has almost 900 categories, which breaks TunerPro. Just sort it by "Parameter Type" or "Ordered List". I have something in mind to deal with this but I need to finish building my tools first."​

Comment

Turns out I also had mentioned A2L for MSS70

Uploaded for both, full and partial binary.

Yes, there was a limitation in older Tuner Pro versions, prior to build 5.00.9816​.

Comment

Turns out I also had mentioned A2L for MSS70

https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title...#Siemens_MSS70

Uploaded for both, full and partial binary.

Yes, there was a limitation in older Tuner Pro versions, prior to build 5.00.9816​.
                  Thanks!

Would this software work to convert the .a2l to .xdf? - https://github.com/bri3d/a2l2xdf

terra

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Thanks!

Would this software work to convert the .a2l to .xdf? - https://github.com/bri3d/a2l2xdf

terra
                    I tried playing with that, but it was erroring out on me. I’ll have to work on it a little more

but I don’t think we need to work on the conversion since sda2 kindly linked his xdfs.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

I tried playing with that, but it was erroring out on me. I’ll have to work on it a little more

but I don’t think we need to work on the conversion since sda2 kindly linked his xdfs.
                      Nice!

Thank you sda2 for posting the link!

Comment

You're welcome

terra A bit OT, do you think its possible to use the cluster LED control code from MSS70 in MSV70 or MS45?

Comment

You're welcome

terra A bit OT, do you think it’s possible to use the cluster LED control code from MSS70 in MSV70 or MS45?
                          Yes it’s possible. Code actually is present in MSV70, just none of the values are populated. MS45 requires a little bit of program modding, but can be done (in fact I had done so ages ago when I had my zhp. I’ll have to dig up those binaries)

Comment

Hi everyone,
                            thanks to terra for the software, always very good work

does anyone have a partial binary and fullbinary please i would like to take a closer look at this
                            Last edited by MSSAddict; 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Here you go.

First 1536 KBs are the external flash. Last 512kb is internal flash. Partial would be 0x40000 - 0x5FFFF in the external flash
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X