e90 335i steering vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e90 335i steering vibration

I know there is a dedicated e90 forum out there, but lets be honest there is no car crowd as good as we have here, that's why we will be fighting to keep this place no matter what its called :-).
    So while our forum was done and my m3 is waiting for the Turner CSL box I got myself into most unreliable bummer out there: n54 335i hehe. No, I actually like it as a DD, very comfortable drive and that 6MT is so smooth I am afraid to jump into my M after that.
    So right after I bought the car I did entire suspension rebuild and put all M arms and Koni str.t Eibach sport kit. Everything is perfect, but... as I hit 80mph (somewhere from 70-90) my steering wheel start shaking, only the wheel, car feels pretty table other from that. It drivers me nuts. As suspension is all new and aligned like month ago I suspect either tires (that are in pretty good condition and came from my previous DD e91) or brakes. I think it may be brakes as when I spin the wheel they definitely feel a bit warped as the rotor catches and stops in same spot. Also when I roll to a traffic light I hear psh-psh-psh-psh sound from the front end. However, I do not feel that vibration gets any worse when I brake that usually would indicate warped rotors. I know I should go and do balancing, but corona... Any idea what to chock while self-isolated?

Pretty sure it's a bad tire or bent wheel. I'd guess the psh psh psh is unrelated.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Thank you Ian, I will try to get them checked. That sound I was trying to imitate is kinda periodic rubbing, so I am pretty sure it is a rotor-pad periodically touching, but I would not imagine that would cause such vibration. Oh, btw, do you know if Costco can figure bent wheel, my tires are for there and they look like handling quarantine nicely?

Comment

You could check for wheel bearing play at home as well but a wheel being out of balance is the simplest diagnosis. The pad/rotor sound is probably deposits that can be burned off by following a bed in procedure.

I have an E92 335is with the N54 as well so I can sympathize with the anxiety-inducing ownership experience. Though BMW just replaced all my injectors with index 12 under recall for $free so that’s one bullet dodged.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          You could check for wheel bearing play at home as well but a wheel being out of balance is the simplest diagnosis. The pad/rotor sound is probably deposits that can be burned off by following a bed in procedure.

I have an E92 335is with the N54 as well so I can sympathize with the anxiety-inducing ownership experience. Though BMW just replaced all my injectors with index 12 under recall for $free so that’s one bullet dodged.
          I've checked the bearings and they are fine. I bedded the rotors and it did not eliminate rubbing completely.

That recall would be awesome, but I can not find any info on that apart from on forums and if I put my VIN to the bmw web it doesn't show that I am eligible. Again based on e90 forum people print some info go to dealerships and some got stuff changed...

Comment

How many miles do you have on the car?

I got the recall in the mail and the next day went to my local BMW dealership to do it. Let me see if I can dig up the SIB info.

Comment

2007 90k. Thank you so much!

Comment

Here you go, just blacked out my VIN. For what it's worth, I checked BMW's recall site with my VIN and it didn't show anything yet. But my dealership pulled my VIN up and it was in their system.

Mine were index 9 and definitely leaking, made my exhaust burble tune a little more... poppy and burbly than it was supposed to be lol.

Comment

Thank you! Will get on it after we done with COVID-19 (hopefully you are safe there in WA). For now will try to see what's the deal with my vibration.

Comment

Indeed, it is a bent wheel, rotated it back and will be sorting my wheel situation meanwhile.

Comment

I've got a set of 18" ARC-8s in E9X fitment with almost-new Pilot Super Sport tires. If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                        I've got a set of 18" ARC-8s in E9X fitment with almost-new Pilot Super Sport tires. If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket
                        Thank you! I wish, but my 17"s are pretty new on the car so I am looking for ARC-8 17x9 et30...

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post

Thank you! I wish, but my 17"s are pretty new on the car so I am looking for ARC-8 17x9 et30...
                          I had a set of those for track wheels when I tracked my E92. Sold those a while back unfortunately!

Comment

Working...
                          X