Cleaning interior dash/doorcard surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning interior dash/doorcard surfaces

I plan to go HAM cleaning/restoring my interior over the next few weeks. I drive a vert with the top down year round so my interior surfaces get a lot of dust etc.. I'm removing the interior to do a hardcore leatherique application, so now I'm thinking about how to clean the other bits.

What is the best way to clean the normal black interior surfaces (like what the dash and doorcards are made of)? I want something that will leave it feeling as it did when new (as close to), not shiny/greasy like armor-all. Is there a specific product that people swear by, or just soap and water on this one? Most of the interior isn't bad, but the tonneau cover that covers the compartment for storing the convertible top is absolutely filthy.

TIA!

Einszett 1Z is well regarded. I use aerospace 303.

Maybe clean first with soapy water or diluted simple green, then dress it with a product.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Cool, I'll look into those and give one a try. Thanks!

Comment

What I'll say about 303 is that it does seem a little "wet" after application, but it will become matte after a bit. I actually use it, then go over it again a few minutes later, and it leaves an even better finish. I think the 1z cockpit is more popular, but I love the wipes with 303. there's also a very popular gummi pflege (also Einszett), but that might just be for rubber/plastic trim. I also like that 303 can be used on everything and gives UV protection. Leather/vinyl/plastic/rubber, interior exterior. Hell, I even wipe my tires with the left over wipes at the end and it's a great finish, not too wet looking and no extra gets sprayed when you start moving like a lot of tire dressings.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          What I'll say about 303 is that it does seem a little "wet" after application, but it will become matte after a bit. I actually use it, then go over it again a few minutes later, and it leaves an even better finish. I think the 1z cockpit is more popular, but I love the wipes with 303. there's also a very popular gummi pflege (also Einszett), but that might just be for rubber/plastic trim. I also like that 303 can be used on everything and gives UV protection. Leather/vinyl/plastic/rubber, interior exterior. Hell, I even wipe my tires with the left over wipes at the end and it's a great finish, not too wet looking and no extra gets sprayed when you start moving like a lot of tire dressings.
          Oh awesome, 303 comes in wipes? Sold. I'll give that a shot this time around and if I don't like it I can always try something else.

Comment

Ya spray bottle and wipes. Not costly on amazon or maybe ebay or wherever. Think I saw some in Autozone too.

I actually cut the wipe into half or quarters, depending on what I'm doing. A whole wipe is a lot for trims, but is good for the dash or doors.

Comment

I use Clean N Shine from shine supply w/ a sponge/scrub called Scrub Daddy (lol) from Home Depot. I even use it for my couch. Before that u can clean the leather with soap/water or a light APC and use that scrub or a horse brush.
              06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

I've had really good luck with Nextzett Cockpit Premium up to this point, but my current spray bottle is just about empty and I'll be pivoting over to P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner for the foreseeable future. You want to ensure that the product you're using isn't going to leave a shiny, slippery sheen. The two products I mentioned both leave a nice, satin (e.g. flat) sheen!

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
                2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
                My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
                  I've had really good luck with Nextzett Cockpit Premium up to this point, but my current spray bottle is just about empty and I'll be pivoting over to P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner for the foreseeable future. You want to ensure that the product you're using isn't going to leave a shiny, slippery sheen. The two products I mentioned both leave a nice, satin (e.g. flat) sheen!
                  Cockpit premium is excellent. The same makers also make a product called Nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner. I have never seen anything remove dirt and build ups of wax, grease or anything else so efficiently, not even close. It will make any plastic it touches look new and not the "fake clean it's gonna fade to its old ugliness again" type of clean. I was about to replace my door card because of a shiny/sticky part I could never get clean, drove me insane. It was like that shiny steering wheel you can never get back to matte. This stuff removed it no problem and worked on the steering wheel too when NOTHING ELSE would remove the shine (though i don't recommend on leather). Works great in the engine bay too. I will literally buy the bottle back from you if you don't like it haha.

Comment

sonax dashboard cleaner. Nice clean & matte. I hate even the slightest sheen, and even 303 is too shiny for me.

Comment

I use griots garage interior cleaner, leaves a perfectly clean finish brand new.(with or without a steamer) If I go for a darker or slicker finish I used diluted CarPro Pearl 1:5. CarPro Perl adds UV protection and hydrates the surface, without it being greasy. Ive tried other cleaners and I still prefer Griots. Just a ph neutral cleaner is the biggest thing.
                      Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-19-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I’m a fan of Einzett cockpit!

You can use a steamer + brushes as well to open up the pores. I love cleaning our e46 M3 steering wheels!

car care, car wax, car detailing, car accessories, auto detailing supplies, auto accessories, car care products, pinnacle, 303 aerospace, auto detailing, auto wax, california duster, car polish, swirl remover, carnauba wax, covertible window cleaner, detailing supplies, klasse, leather care, lexol,porter cable 7424, microfiber products, meguiars, p21s, car covers, car seat covers, detailing tools, car care kits,, microfiber,, wheel cleaner, menzerna

Comment

Use onr to clean. And use carpro perl for a like new finish. 303 is going to be very shiny.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tones View Post
                            Use onr to clean. And use carpro perl for a like new finish. 303 is going to be very shiny.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
                            I almost gave up on 303 until I learned to apply it properly. You have to buff it really good with a good microfiber, I cannot stress what a difference it makes to how it looks and performs. It makes a huge difference in the way it darkens/richens the surface without looking like armorall and lasts much longer. I feel like most people just spray and wipe which is not the right way to use it. I don't use it on the interior much but with the age of the car, it does make the dash and trim look newer/darker and the shine can be minimized with good proper buffing and a good microfiber. I use it once in a while for the alleged UV protection. Also makes all the engine plastic, hoses, faded cabin filter cover and windshield cowl look great.

Comment

^ 303 gets put down often, but it's true, once you know how to use it for your needs, it's fantastic. I'm not saying there aren't other great or even better products out there, just that you can get 303 to do what you want if you learn how. That said, I wouldn't bother with a spray. I only use 303 wipes. For spray, nextzett or sonax or p&s etc...

303 is even better in the engine bay or for exterior trim.

Comment

Working...
                              X