Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBK, I know I want it...not sure I need it (yet?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBK, I know I want it...not sure I need it (yet?)

E46 M3 track prepped MCS 2WNR coilover suspension, seats/harnesses, ecu/tcu (SMG), stock brakes, RBF600 / PFC 08s, cooling ducts for front, R888R square 275/35-18 on ARC 8 18x10. ~Intermediate driver

I've been lusting after front only BBKs but not sure I need it yet, Next event I'm going to use temp paint to see check if I'm over heating the brakes.

Brakes seem to be pretty much OK with minimal fade and modulation seems OK using hand controls (due to lower body disability).

Will Stoptech ST40s or C-43s up front make a huge difference or is it just jewelry? I know there are plenty running stock setups racing etc.

I suppose if I'm asking...

I think I saw you car at Kiceniuk auto last fall.
    2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

There could be an argument that you would save the cost of the BBK in the difference in consumable costs, but if it ain't broke...
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by ShiftLess View Post
        E46 M3 track prepped MCS 2WNR coilover suspension, seats/harnesses, ecu/tcu (SMG), stock brakes, RBF600 / PFC 08s, cooling ducts for front, R888R square 275/35-18 on ARC 8 18x10. ~Intermediate driver

I've been lusting after front only BBKs but not sure I need it yet, Next event I'm going to use temp paint to see check if I'm over heating the brakes.

Brakes seem to be pretty much OK with minimal fade and modulation seems OK using hand controls (due to lower body disability).

Will Stoptech ST40s or C-43s up front make a huge difference or is it just jewelry? I know there are plenty running stock setups racing etc.

I suppose if I'm asking...

I did the 996 retrofit this winter because I was beginning to see brake fade after 20+ minutes of track time on the stock calipers and fullish weight car. I have the cooling ducts and was running hawk dtc-70's. It got to the point of being a bit scary at times which is why I decided to do it. I was running the non ZCP front rotors with the stock calipers. The new brakes definitely have better pedal feel and in the one track day since the install didn't fade one bit. am more confident with these new brakes. That said the stock brakes are pretty impressive on our cars and had I not run into the fading issues I never would have "upgraded" to the Brembo's. If you are not to the point of over driving the stock brakes I wouldn't spend the money on the BBK. It should be relatively obvious when you are a faster driver than the stock brakes.

At the end of the day they do look cool though. if I had it to do over again I would, and may still, go with the C-43 front kit. The consumables are crazy cheap for that caliper and its much more modern tech than the 996 Brembo's

my .02

Comment

If you're at the track often and plan to keep the car then I know a Stoptech 4 wheel ST40/355mm BBK will save $$$ for consumables. In about 73 days at the track, 5 sets of pads and 1 set of friction discs. I'm sure other BBKs will yield similar or better results as far as pads and rotors...question is cost of parts.

Comment

It’s also hard to vote against the warranty from fcp for replacement parts. It’s the majority of the reason why I haven’t swapped my rear brakes to a BBK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Glad to hear the 996 option works at the track, that’s the direction I am going for my 90/10 street/track car. Hard to beat for something reasonably cheap and stock like.
              ‘04 M3

Comment

I ended up getting the 996 setup all around with the Rallyroad adapters and FCP Euro CSL front rotors as my stock calipers were in need of a rebuild / sticking / fading a bit with heavy use and PFC 08 pads... my shop recommended a boutique pad he's got a bunch of endurance racers running which he said will last the season (usually twenty'ish days for me). Car stops STRAIGHT! without sticky calipers...no more squirrely braking

Comment

Working...
                X