At a Crossroad With Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a Crossroad With Tires

Several years ago I made the commitment to adopt a 17 inch wheel for my track car. Now I have three sets of Apex 17 inch wheels shod with Nitto NT01 tires. All those tires are nearing end-of-life. Two years ago, I could get a set of these tires delivered next day to my door for $530. I didn’t have to buy tires last year because of the pandemic which my reduced track days. I went to buy some new tires recently and I noticed the price of these has skyrocketed to $960 for a set of four. On top of that, currently they’re not available at discount tire direct… I haven’t searched elsewhere yet. On top of all this, I’m starting to consider a big brake kit. My options are severely limited if I stick with 17 inch wheels. So, I’m at a crossroads. Do I bite the bullet and switch to 18 inch wheels or continue with the 17s?

The price difference between the 18 inch tires and the 17 inch tires has converged to now little more than $120 it looks like. So, the savings aren’t there like they used to be. Not necessarily looking for somebody to provide me answers but just curious if anyone else has been through this and what they ultimately decided. If I switch to 18 inch wheels it will certainly be an expensive endeavor as I like to have at least two sets in case something goes wrong at the track.

On another note, I’ve been extremely happy with the NT01’s. I like the grip and especially like their longevity… I feel it’s a great compromise between performance and value. However, I’m open to looking at other tires but I’m not looking for a hero tire that burns out after one or two weekends. Going with 18s opens up a lot more options in that regard.

Tires are all over the place because of a rubber shortage right now. I don't think it's unlikely that prices will settle back where they were in a couple years, when the world is ~normallized.

The Apex 17 x 10s clear a Brembo 355s, stoptech 355s, and the 996 calipers (and probably more), so they're not BBK limiting you.

I'm sticking with the 17s for now. I don't really have a desire to move of the NT01s, so even though there's less tire options in 18"... I don't really care.

2 years ago I got my most recent set of NT01s in 17x 275 for $400 shipped. I don't think I'll be seeing that again for a bit, sadly :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

2 years ago I got my most recent set of NT01s in 17x 275 for $400 shipped. I don't think I'll be seeing that again for a bit, sadly :P
      This is crazy to me! I had no idea the 17" NT-01 was ever that cheap. My last set o 18" in 275 was $940 delivered using a ebay deal ( last month) which was cheaper than I had ever paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post

This is crazy to me! I had no idea the 17" NT-01 was ever that cheap. My last set o 18" in 275 was $940 delivered using a ebay deal ( last month) which was cheaper than I had ever paid.
        That was a sale/special at discount tire, at the time-- not MSRP.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I'm planning on sticking with 17s...as long as Apex gets some more in. I need another set.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
            I'm planning on sticking with 17s...as long as Apex gets some more in. I need another set.
            I have 2 17x10 et25s I’ll be selling if the 9.5 et35s clear my brakes…

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I have 2 17x10 et25s I’ll be selling if the 9.5 et35s clear my brakes…
              Perfect because I need at least 2.

I do want to run a set of 18x9.5s for NASA time trials if I ever run it. I am running 17x10 with a 275 NT01...plan to run that for DE’s and whatever else. Might try and drop down to a 17x9 with a 255/40R17 for more cost savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X