Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good dual purpose pad options from FCP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good dual purpose pad options from FCP?

Hey guys, it's time to do the brakes on my E36 and I'm considering options. Current setup is PFC 08 pads and Direct Drive front rotors with blank rears. I (probably) won't track the car anymore, so I'm going to change it up a bit and go with a set of Euro floating rotors I already have, but I need to figure out what to do about pads. What do we think of the options available through FCP? I would like something that is less noisy and dusty than the 08s, but it doesn't need to be NO noise or dust. Like I said I probably won't be tracking the car, but I like to drive hard and I want the brakes to not be shitty when I need them. They just don't need to be 08s I don't think.

Thanks in advance!
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

If you're really not taking it to the track, Textar is probably fine. Lifetime replacement.

If you *might* take it to the track, OEM Textar pads don't seem to fade with light track use, you just go through them fast. Lifetime replacement.

If you want track-capable pads, Ferodo DS2500 but I think that's overkill for such a light, lower-power car.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

How are those Ferodo pads compared to the PFC 08? I have the OEM Textar pads on my E46 M3 (daily driver) and I don't dislike them.
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        How are those Ferodo pads compared to the PFC 08? I have the OEM Textar pads on my E46 M3 (daily driver) and I don't dislike them.
        Aggressive street pad that will also hold up to light track use (driving moderately hard on street tires like PS4S), and make little to no noise at cold temps. PFC 08s are a full race pad, meaning at street temps they are likely to be harsh on your rotors and have a possibility of squealing + screeching. If you're never going to the track I wouldn't run 08s.

Comment

Cool thanks. I'm not planning on running the 08s again, but I do feel very familiar with how they act having had them for about 3 years. Maybe I'll try the Ferodo and see, nice thing about the return policy is, after all, I can return them if I don't like them...
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
            If you're really not taking it to the track, Textar is probably fine. Lifetime replacement.

If you *might* take it to the track, OEM Textar pads don't seem to fade with light track use, you just go through them fast. Lifetime replacement.

If you want track-capable pads, Ferodo DS2500 but I think that's overkill for such a light, lower-power car.
            I took my 996 setup with Textars to the track a couple weeks ago and both my instructor and myself got them to fade a bit, both taking it pretty easy.

Going with Ferodo DS1.11 for track use next time. Nice thing about the 996 setup is pad swaps are really easy.

Cool thanks. I'm not planning on running the 08s again, but I do feel very familiar with how they act having had them for about 3 years. Maybe I'll try the Ferodo and see, nice thing about the return policy is, after all, I can return them if I don't like them...
            I don’t think you can return used parts except for replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I took my 996 setup with Textars to the track a couple weeks ago and both my instructor and myself got them to fade a bit, both taking it pretty easy.

Going with Ferodo DS1.11 for track use next time. Nice thing about the 996 setup is pad swaps are really easy.
              I should clarify, they will lose that initial sharp bite that's characteristic of OEM BMW pads, but they won't fade as in you push the pedal and can't get the car to lock up. At least that's my experience and what I've heard from others as well.

DS1.11 are good, I've heard the 3.12 are good as well. My first choice has usually been PFC 08 or 11 for BMWs but they seem to have lost interest in making race pads.

Comment

Not going back to the track: OE

OE, even when hot will work all the way up to ABS kicking in.

Comment

It looks like Jurid is the OE for E46 M3 pads, does anyone have insight on Textar vs. Jurid? I've always assumed they're equivalent, just different OEMs making pads with compounds of the same specs.

Comment

Yea shit maybe not, I thought they did a "replace with similar" type of thing
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Yea shit maybe not, I thought they did a "replace with similar" type of thing
                      I've seen them do that with lifetime replacement when the original item is no longer in their catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I've seen them do that with lifetime replacement when the original item is no longer in their catalog.
                        Gotcha, good to know.

PFC street pads might finally be available again soon, anyone have thoughts on those while we're on the subject?
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

no DS1.11 for 996 calipers from FCP at the moment . I'm hopping it's just a supply issue like the rep on the phone said and not permanent.

Comment

Working...
                          X