Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cartek Battery Isolator - where to wire ecu or ignition switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cartek Battery Isolator - where to wire ecu or ignition switch?

Has anybody installed one of these? https://www.cartekmotorsport.com/battery-isolators/

The battery ground, battery positive, and a harness for the kill buttons, is straightforward. But what would be the easiest or best place to connect the 12V to ecu or ignition for the cut out?

"This kills the engine by taking in a fixed 12v input and sending a 12v output that would power your Ignition or ECU. When the negative side of the battery has been disconnected it will also cut the 12v output powering your Ignition or ECU. This will kill the engine. Designed for cars with Standard ECU’s or Historic Race cars."

Click image for larger version  Name:	cartekdiagram.gif Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	111279

Attached a pic from PD's facebook page. Click image for larger version  Name:	cartekGT.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	111278

I'm working on this right now as well. I'm trying to find a diagram for the ignition switch on these cars but haven't found one yet. I'm not sure if it's the Red with Green stripe wire or if it is the Green with Silver stripe wire that needs to be cut and given the power from the Cartek.
    '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
    many others

Comment

Originally posted by pMak26 View Post
      I'm working on this right now as well. I'm trying to find a diagram for the ignition switch on these cars but haven't found one yet. I'm not sure if it's the Red with Green stripe wire or if it is the Green with Silver stripe wire that needs to be cut and given the power from the Cartek.
      I pulled these from bookface that may help. Let me know what you find - I was trying to look around the fuse box for the green/red cable so I can intercept it cleanly, possibly pull it out of the harness and connect it to the cartek, but a quick look did not reveal anything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cartek install.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	113101 Click image for larger version  Name:	cartek harness.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	113102
      Attached Files

Comment

I have confirmation that the Red wire w/ green stripe is the wire that receives the power from the Cartek unit, just as the drawing shows. I'll be doing it this week on my car. GL OP.
        many others

Comment

Originally posted by pMak26 View Post
          I have confirmation that the Red wire w/ green stripe is the wire that receives the power from the Cartek unit, just as the drawing shows. I'll be doing it this week on my car. GL OP.
          Awesome! Take pics please, would love to see the install. Won't be doing this til August.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210707_222306__01.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	113886
            Installed.
            Attached Files
            many others

Comment

Looking good! Where did you end up splicing into the green/red cable?

Comment

I grabbed the red/green cable under the dash near the fuse box so I could splice it easily with plenty of room. It's damn hard to work on a car with a full cage in it already.

For mounting the Cartek itself, I ground the paint off from under the unit then sprayed galvanized paint under it before mounting for a good ground. You can see a little in the photo. Additional stock grounding strap was used as well, just to be extra.
                many others

Comment

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread later, here is the Red/Green wire out of the ignition switch that needs to BE FED the 12v from the Cartek GT unit.

many others

Comment

Working...
                  X